Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: US ECWS Modular Sleep System- size question  (Read 1946 times)
abica
East Wind II East Bloc Planning Staff
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: September 29, 2010, 11:23:41 am »

Standard size US bags are all just a bit tight for me.  I've tried the intermediate, M-49 Mountain, and mike's knock-off modular system.

Rumor has is that there's a large/long size ECWS Modular system.  I saw someone say "I got the bigger version and there was plenty of shoulder room."  I can't find it on the intertubez.  Does anyone know what this is called?  Keywords "large" and "long" haven't turned up anything for me.  Boo.

EDIT:  from www.olive-drab.com

Except for the compression stuff sack, the components are also produced in extra-long, 14 inches longer than the above standard size bags. The extra-long components were ordered individually with their own NSN's:

* Sleeping Bag, Patrol, X-long - NSN 8465-01-452-1688
    * Sleeping Bag, Intermediate, X-long - NSN 8465-01-452-1690
    * Bivy Cover, X-long - NSN 8465-01-452-1695

Well, 14 extra inches of length doesn't fit the bill...maybe I'm out of luck.

From the uscav store website, I found this review that states the larger size is 97"x37" which would be 5" extra length as opposed to 14" extra length.  That seems more sensible.  A little extra length would be nice, but 14" would be overkill for me.

[5.0 out of 5 stars]
i purchased one of the sleep systems when i first got it i tryed it out it was a little tight one of my buddys bought it off me and i ordered another 97x37 all i have to say is wow i'm a big boy and i can stretch out no problem we resently went out to the the rock front every thing going good. well the weather changed started getting cold and a lil wet got in my bag as soon as i got in it started dumping for at least five or six hours well when i woke up i had a inch of ice on my bag but the bag kept me dry and warm i give it a five but if you do long hikes it is a little heavy 15 lbs. but well worth the investment big jon
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:32:20 am by abica » Logged

"Everything in war is very simple but the simplest thing is difficult"
~Carl von Clausewitz
WhiskyTango
Might know something...

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:58:13 pm »

the two systems I have don't say squat about sizes
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:06:02 pm »

I have seen longer ones at Army Gear in Columbia. 

Not really looked otherwise. 

What you probably want is the old Arctic overbag that went over the old school Sleeping bag, mountain.  Since it was an overbag it has all sorts of room for and is still pretty warm used alone.  Also being the old down/feather type bag it compresses better than most of the old stuff. 

Stagg

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:12:05 pm »

What is this Capitalism crap you are talking about Abica... that said let me look in the basement.  I used to have a inner bag from an ECWS that was noticeably larger than the other three.  However, I've been selling the damned things off after I collected 4 of them.  I just can't afford to store that much junk while in the Army.

If I still have it and you want it, then its yours.

Is there a different tag on the larger ones?

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!
airsoftbwa
Might know something...

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 07:58:24 pm »

any one know where to get one, i really want a good comfurtable sleeping bag
Stagg

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:08:14 am »

One? One what.  A complete system, or just one of the layers?

Now that I'm out, you have two choices:  Either break down (early) and buy a complete set, or piece one together.
Both options can be exercised on E-bay.   If you get lost we can help, but half the fun is figuring these things out.  That and it will take me longer to type up, than it will take you to google it and read it  Grin

A complete system will usually cost about 100-150 dollars on ebay.  If you piece it together you can reasonably expect to pay about 70-80 dollars.  For a good shopper maybe as little as 50 bucks.  Usually paying 30ish a bag/layer is normal, try to do better.

Stagg

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:10 am »

PS.  The bag I have left in the basement is a small one Undecided not sure who got it but now they can live large!
Sorry Abica.

abica

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:07:30 am »

Hey Stagg thanks for looking!

Grant, the regular size will fit you fine.  You don't want too much space in a bag, because there's efficiency to think about.  I can use a normal, but it's really pushing it to get fully mummied up.

At least now I know a big one has had eyes on it.

And yeah Stagg, I would have gotten a Soviet bag, but there is no way in hell I'm carrying one of those into the field, so I'm gonna continue using the motivated gear.  Plus, bivy bags score chicks.

And that old Arctic overbag sounds interesting too.

"Everything in war is very simple but the simplest thing is difficult"
~Carl von Clausewitz
airsoftbwa
Might know something...

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 07:02:30 pm »

Yea i was looking for a complete one, looks like pieceing it out on ebay will work, Regular it is!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: