Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This was not just a new experience it was a life experience.  (Read 2389 times)
Feiler
Recruit

« on: August 22, 2009, 12:43:59 pm »

I would like to give some of my thoughts about EW. I would have to say when i first decided to go to EW i was enthusiastic and thought i was all that. After reading the description, I knew it would be more difficult than your normal airsoft event. But i did not realize I was about to step out of my civilian world and into the world of a combat soldier marine. Upon our arrival which was early on Saturday morning we were in the parking lot waiting for the 2.5 truck to pick us up with our gear. As I heard the engine rumbling and coming closer out of the darkness I knew this was going to be something I never experienced before. But was I wrong, this was not just a new experience it was a life experience. As at first night we were told to break out or sleeping bags and to go to bed and we would be woken up early to start our adventure. Most of the guys settled in with their bags and LC Perez. told me "Gunny you better use your sleeping bag". I replied, " I would be okay with my big thick military blanket for the night". Sure be it, I woke up about 3 hours later with Jack Frost nipping at my body and found myself at 0300 digging out my sleeping bag because i was freezing to death, this is one of the many long life lessons I was about to learn at EW. One of the most memorable parts of EW was being told to dig fighting positions some-what close to the border. I tried to put myself into the mind set of thinking that this is not so bad, but after several hours of digging, I began to ask myself "what am i doing here?". We also had to set up radio communication towers, camo netting, build a foot bridge, dig out water filled trenches to drain out of the troops sleeping area, and this is only day one. Once again what was i doing here? Where did my civilian world go? At one point as I was digging the fighting position I found myself thinking of Sgt. Hyett. As things advanced. the work parties continued and patrols were added. This was some of the intense moments of EW as I would describe only one moment stood out of my mind. We were set out at a night time ambush on the border, our mission was to ambush vehicles that could bring troops and supplies across the border from the communist side. This road would be the only vehicle approach used by the communist so it was an important task. We had already been trained on night vision equipment and this was going to be our first operation using night vision I believe. After walking a great deal and walking up close to the border I was put on point by first Sgt. You have to understand in total blackness with the enemy lurking maybe yards away never knowing what you are about to step into. In itself that can be a very stressful thing. As the tension mounts with every foot step you take. I was ordered by first Sgt. to enter down a path that led to an opening next to a lake, as I slowly made my way to the objective things in my mind began to multiply, every sound I heard was a communist waiting for me and my squad, I finally reached the open area, and looked up and saw what my next task would be, climb a hill that I would say was roughly a 30 - 40 degree incline, possibly here but i do not want to exaggerate what had happened that night. It was not more then 10-15 feet wide. As our unit moved up this incline in total darkness except for night vision which now seemed to be working less due to the fact that we had limited light source. We reached about 3/4 of the way up 1Sgt and LCPL Perez. were going to get into the bush into either side of the path, Cpl Brown. and myself was ordered to continue to the top of the hill, move to the right and take cover. The objective was to wait for a vehicle to cross between 1stSgt and LCpl would open up on the front of the vehicles. Cpl Brown and myself would then attack from the rear killing any exiting troops and having the vehicles in a cross fire. This was the plan, but of course the plan does not always go as planned. Me and Brown at this time considered what we thought was good cover, in the shadows, under a tree, flanked on all sides by heavy brush and undergrowth. Brown asked if he could go to bed for a while I too was exhausted and told him go ahead and get some sleep since we were going to be here for a while. Brown fell asleep in a funny but strange position as I was looking at him, he was laying in a prone position with all his equipment in hand but yet he was asleep, guess you had to be there for that one. he was just out of reach of me as i started to nod off myself. I was fighting trying to keep my eyes open knowing it was my watch and that the enemy could approach anytime. I shut my eyes for no less than 10 seconds and awoken to the outline of troops standing directly in front of me no more than 8-9 meters. My heart stopped As I assessed the situation I realized I was in trouble, i looked to my left at Cpl Brown. And he was sound asleep. I was in a position where i could not even move, if I reached for my weapon they were so close i feared that they would hear me. I thought they would even hear me breathe, they were that close. They began to mill around and look around, I thought they had seen us. This went on for sometime and all I could think about is i hope Brown would not wake up. As he would make noise once he woke up, and give our position away. Suddenly they moved down the hill to 1st Sgt, i was unsure how far they were so i tried to reach Cpl Brown and wake him up, so i grabbed my weapon and started poking him. He awoke and I told him of the enemy presence feeling that we were surrounded and telling him they were in front of us and that they were all around, not to make a sound and to be extremely quiet. At that point Brown asked "where are they" and i was sure they were there. As we laid motionless they came back into view, we laid there for several minutes observing what we thought was the enemy, with 1st Sgt on coms trying to call us back to his location with 2 clicks meaning no i replied. At that point we realized that might be 1st Sgt Norris and Perez standing in front of us. I told 1st Sgt Norris. To raise his arms so we could identify the movement and sure enough to our relief if was not the enemy it was the balance of our unit. Boy was I happy to see them. At that point we stood up and approached the squad. The rest of the evening was uneventful and returned to base. If you've ever been in a situation like that and some of the veterans in our unit would understand the intensity of that situation. We could of made some mistakes as we could of shot our own people thinking they were the enemy, or we could of not had good noise discipline and gave away our position so I thought either way we did well considering the conditions we were under I know this is a long story but it is true and not exaggerated. This was only one mission at EW, many more of these stories to be told. This is not just an experience, it is a life experience. At the end of EW I always admired and held high regard for the U.S. Military but now I feel as if in a small way i highly understand the triumphs and hardships that our military people go through on a daily basis for a sustained period of time. I sallute all of the military personnel and i do feel a closer bond with them that i did before EW.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:00:33 pm by Feiler » Logged

Brett
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:05:05 am »

That is exactly what we are going for.  Good airsoft is always good, but good airsoft is not all there is to East Wind.  It is much more about just exactly the types of experiences Brett is talking about here. 

Good times, I cannot wait till next year Smiley

birdman
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:45:51 pm »

i will remember this moment the rest of my life. i didnt just go to sleep. i passed the f-out. an air raid siren could have gone off and i wouldnt have know it. and waking up to feiler saying," theres enemy all around us" was just priceless. this expeierence alone gave me a whole new respect for military personel on the front lines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: