Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Old School Community  (Read 404 times)
Gigueand
Been here a while.

I Make Maps.

« on: December 20, 2017, 01:47:29 pm »

Hey guys,

I must have read too much Red Storm Rising and spent too much time at my local surplus shop when I was growing up. As a result, I have always loved the older, Pre-Global War on Terror, Pre-MOLLE gear and equipment. I had my first set of ALICE along with an LBV-88 when I was twelve or thirteen.

Over the years, I've always had a collection of (airsoft) fixed carry-handle ARs from M653s to M16A2s in addition to old school Black Hawk, Eagle, LBT and AWS gear.

Saddens me to see the lack of a Cold War or old school equipment community. The kit I currently own is set up for MSW events, which, having a modern focus, tends to discourage ALICE and other older gear. I am primarily running an M4A1 with M962 and AN/PEQ-2, which compared to some of the Keymod, Mk18 Mod 1, HK416, Geissele stuff is pretty "old school."

Do you guys still get out and run your older school kit or is this stuff just for dinosaurs these days?

aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 03:59:43 am »

I think in retrospect East Wind totally ruined airsoft in general for me.   When I went to other events, I tended to find what was going on to be a little shallow and in the end tended to just pack up and leave. 

Now? 

I kept one airsoft weapon just to run off annoying dogs with (Tokyo Marui Uzi) and the rest of them all got sold off.  I have my Alice kit as well sitting in the closet but that's been it. 
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 05:57:42 pm »

I still have Brett style piles of random surplus crap laying around (Full set of SADF Pat 70? Why?) but haven't really done much of anything anything airsoft since eastwind. A game here or there, usually with fellow eastwinders to catch up. Keep trying to get out to stuff and something always comes up.

I usually plan to just do my own thing at other people's games anyway (The civilian games are great for it: why not sell goodwill trinkets and drugs from a shady bazaar? Or badly photocopy their monopoly money and flood the economy with bogus bills? Or start a police force to interdict this new drug and counterfeit trade?). Anytime more than one or two of us go to other games we tend to be so effective we break the game anyway by single handed-ly rolling the entire opposing force. Might as well plan for it and plan for a way to limit it so they don't get too pissed off.

Have gotten more into actual firearms though as a byproduct of work. Picked up an Air Force Colt 604/M16 upper recently. Still have to grab an a1 lower for it, it's on an A2 style right now. Either way, hard to beat a 6 pound rifle, that thing is stupid freaking light. Eugene Stoner was onto something that the modern military forgot along the way. My work carbine with a 11" barrel weighs more.

Also looking, warily, at the .45 chinese broomhandles that hit the market about a decade back, just for the grins. And any other number of cool but odd or useless firearms.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Gigueand
Been here a while.

I Make Maps.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 10:57:31 am »

Over the course of the last year or so I've sold off the vast majority of my gear. Having "adult" responsibilities limits my ability to get out there and play frequently so it just started to make less sense to have multiple, expensive load-outs.

As far as guns, I'm down to a G&P M4A1 and a G&P M653. I used to think of the '653 as being my "old school" rifle, but nowadays, at least in my area, it's pretty rare to see even a standard, "plain jane" M4. Nearly every M4 is decked out with aftermarket, high-speed components. To each his own, I suppose, but I always enjoy being able to find reference pictures of the rifles I'm trying to replicate. It's nice to have rifles with some heritage rather than just the newest, whiz-bang thing on the market. I've gotten some pretty funny responses from guys when I've handed them the little '653. It's just so light and has such nice handling compared to even some of the lighter, new stuff outfitted with lights, optics, PEQs, etc.

Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 04:07:23 pm »

Airsofters will always be chasing the latest and greatest because that is what manufacturers make, and retailers hype. It was in the last call of duty so it must be good, etc. It's not even worth bitching about for me, it just is the way things are now.

I'll keep doing my thing regardless.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Lift Kit
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 01:52:56 am »

I don't run my GDR kit anymore, although I still have it.  I started doing WWII living history with the occasional battle, so now I run with a ~1943 loadout once a month or so.  It's very comfortable, and IMO it looks much classier than later gear.  Roll Eyes  MechCav too, so it's not the typical Ranger/Airborne/other elite unit stuff.  Airsoft is pretty much over for me, the community is just too unorganized and often unsafe - muzzle and trigger discipline seem to be foreign concepts to them.  I switched to a very fun job though, and now I can build literally any firearm I want to legally, so that's pretty cool.

@Master Chef check out NodakSpud, they have slabside, partial and full-fence early lowers in both 80% and finished form.  Quality products.  The .45 Broomhandles aren't too bad in terms of quality.  It's a complex enough system that you had to be a decently competent smith to build one.  Remember to pay attention to ATF rulings - they vary from year to year on what gun/stock assembly is okay to assembly and shoulder.  Currently it's any original gun, with either original or repro stock-holster (must be original pattern).
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 06:15:26 pm »

Yep, just have to get enough crumpled pocket ones into a pile to afford the NDS lower. Going partial fence, that's what the rifle would have shipped with. I'm tracking on the exceptions for shoulder mounted stocks for pistols. Most of the .45 type 17s that came in didn't have them, and they need a larger than standard sized one, so I was going to cross that bridge when I got there. All the type 17s came in as original 30's production guns, though if you told me Norinco mixed in new made ones with the old I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest. Many of them looked way too well kept to be 30s production Chinese militia weapons.

I've been drug into some WW2 stuff as well, 28th ID in late '44. Currently running as medic but can do rifleman as well. In two weeks I'll be doing a 5 day tactical with a few eastwind guys down in TN.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: