Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Woodland Kneepad conversion kits...  (Read 2826 times)
Mercy
Global Moderator
Knows what he's talking about...

Army # 24172366

« on: July 26, 2016, 08:48:43 am »

So there I was thinking, yep I'll just update my old M81 BDUs with a kneepad set so that I can avoid wearing Hatch kneepads and I bought these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WBTactical-Crye-Pant-Conversion-Kit-M81-Woodland-made-to-order-in-USA-/121685381455?hash=item1c5503914f:g:NF4AAOSwstxVXnnd

...boy aren't I smart?  Well, yeah except I didn't bother to check my decades old BDUs under NODs.

Kneepad conversion pieces are nice and flat, non-IR reflective stealth mode nicely highlighted by the day glow BDUs they were theoretically going to be attached to. Bugger.  So when I bought new BDUs I just got the good ones with the knee protection already there.  My loss is your gain, I suddenly have two conversion kits that I don't need so 50% off sale, $68 for two sets.  Also, the actual ones I have, have the BDU pattern running in the correct direction unlike the jacked-up ones in this picture.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:50:16 am by Mercy » Logged

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
dirtpro

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:14:22 am »

Just wondering-what pants did you spring for? I've seen issues with the crye g3 pants loosing their kneepad inserts when crawling in thick brush.

Oklahoma Badlands Regulator

www.themilsimperspective.com
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:27:58 am »

Just Emerson copies, I was annoyed enough at having to replace woodland that I wasn't looking to spend $1K on pants. 

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
dirtpro

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:10:45 pm »

gotcha - lmk how they hold up?

Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 04:49:50 am »

Sure thing, Only time will tell on overall durability but for now...

Pros:
My first impression is that they are pretty darn well built and that surprised me. The stitching and all seems to be pretty good.  There a few unfolded edges but it's not noticeable.

They actually come in woodland.

Shipping was fast even from China.

Plenty of pockets.

IIR flat.

Fit the Crye kneepads perfectly.

Cons:
They are for short people, the inseam could stand to be a bit longer on the smalls, at 32" it's not just right.  Like most China clothes they run small I'd recommend a size up from what you think you need.

They are hotter than the M81. 

Wholly useless Velcro seal at the ankle.  I'm still trying to decide how to dump that "feature" since it makes the pants fit worse with the ankles velcro'd up. I think I still prefer the M81 with the added kneepads, the length is right and instead of the Velcro you can use ties/bands...never thought I'd think that was a good thing.

Knee bungee runs inside the pant leg but not in a fabric channel so it's a toe catcher when putting them on.  I'll probably be removing them since the pants are already short so no real need of a length adjustment bungee.

dirtpro

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »

Hmm, hotter as in it doesn't breathe as well?

Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 07:11:51 am »

Correct, they are a poly/cotton emphasis on poly, and then add a lot of doubled up fabric for all those pockets and knee pads = hot. 

dirtpro

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:37:54 am »

hmm :p

Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:51:51 am »

Yep, since it's hotter than a very hot place here I'd prefer the M81 with these added, but since I spent the cash already I'm not getting the pant set up I want, I'm getting the pants set up I deserve.  Smiley

dirtpro

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 10:44:09 am »

haha understood

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: