Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BB questions - need input  (Read 1578 times)
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: January 06, 2016, 08:55:45 am »

OK - doing research for Swift Fox 16 and other CWG events.

Trying to settle on what bbs we will buy and issue.

Here are the requirements we are working with.

- .25g or higher

- Non-white - preferably dark colors - Black, green, brown etc.

- Not ridiculously expensive

- Have to have at least two different weights - preferably in different colors

Now - I have found some - mostly Valken and Goldenball

Also in general how are Bio bbs nowadays?  I have not used them for a lot of years and they sucked back then.  A rainy or humid day caused swelling and then jams.

So do the newer ones work well in these environments?  how well do they store for say several months?
Shtirlitz

Comrade Shtirlitz 478

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 09:57:03 am »

I only use bio-BBs for my personal guns, cause I'm a frigging tree-hugger that way Smiley

I've been using the Elite Force Bio 0.25s and 0.28s, never had a single problem with them. However, they are white... Also, HPA users seem to complain about EF BBs not working well with HPA guns, but who cares about HPA guns, right?  Grin

Unfortunately, cannot attest to Valken or Goldenball BIO. Valken Non-Bios, though, work very well. There was a MiR event (PB number something), where I ran through like 15,000 Valken BBs on vehicle-mounted PKM, without a single problem.

-Десантник ничего не ответил, только встал и поворошил хуем угли костра...
-Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

EW5 - WARPAC - Soviet 2nd Section RTO, No. 478
EW6 - WARPAC - Soviet 2nd Section RTO, No. 478
Rekkon
Might know something...

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:06:20 am »

For bios I primarily use G&G or Elite Force when the former is unavailable.  I have not had any problems with either, but I am also very diligent about keeping them away from moisture.  If they get wet, they get tossed.  As such, I do not know their tolerances, and holding up for a few hours of normal airsoft is not the same thing as being in a magazine for three days through dawn/dusk cycles.

The bigger issue might be finding non-white bios at all, especially in non-standard weights (and if they do exist, they probably violate "not ridiculously expensive."  If you have to discard one of those two conditions, I would ditch bios.

Your best bet to make the BB weight feel meaningful would probably be to use .20 and .28/.30.  I am not sure the difference between .25 and .28/.30 would be very apparent, and the higher in weight you go the more limited (and expensive) your choices become.  If you go super-heavy, there might also be performance issues with weaker rifles.
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:07:47 am »

From the rainy, humid capital of the US...bios suck, period.  Oh and they are all made with polystyrene and while they come apart you're still leaving polystyrene everywhere.  I can't remember who claims their bios have no PS in them at the moment but it wasn't very many makers.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:14:38 am by Mercy » Logged

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 12:20:11 pm »

So it sort of sounds as I expected - bios still have possible/ or for sure issues in certain environment/conditions and they are not all that bio anyway for the extra cost and special handling.

Good to hear about Valken non-bio being good as well.

I like hearing form people I know and trust rather than some random person saying things good or bad about something.

And since with EW I did little airsofting outside of EW (or inside of EW for that matter) I am way unfamiliar with the current options for bbs.  I have not bought bbs for 4 or 5 years at least.

I like the concept of the bio - just have never been sold on their value/cost ratio.

Lift Kit
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:00:55 pm »

Mine have worked well for me, which is good because the NW fields are nearly all bio only.  However, finding them in other colors and odd weights isn't going to happen.  We have exceptions for 8mm and snipers because of that.  I've never had them gum up a magazine or anything like that, and the newer ones take a couple weeks to visibly decay.
dirtpro

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:19 pm »

I sell and use both the Elite Force and Valken bbs (bio and non bio) and love both. Others I know say the Valken ones are more accurate (consistent) but i haven't seen that in my own use. As far as weight goes, I don't shoot much so I run .28s and .32s to get that extra bit of range.

Oklahoma Badlands Regulator

www.themilsimperspective.com
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:59:52 pm »

For non-bios that are made in colors Killer Beez come in heavier weights and are tan and it's a good BB.  When we were doing Irene they sold them at the event.  As you may imagine we went through bags and bags of these during the MOUT weekends. Killer Beez are listed as "earth friendly but that just refers to the color I think, they are not bio from what I could tell.  'course I haven't shot enough in 4 years to even have to buy BBs so there's that...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:07:45 pm by Mercy » Logged

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
Ibach
Recruit

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 11:54:52 pm »

If you are looking at bulk orders and the like check out justairsoftammo.com, they come highly reccomended by the airsoft subreddit and if you email them they are flexible on pricing for bulk.
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 09:06:59 am »

If you are looking at bulk orders and the like check out justairsoftammo.com, they come highly reccomended by the airsoft subreddit and if you email them they are flexible on pricing for bulk.

Yep - have been using them as a sort of pricing benchmark as ell as seeing what is available.

I ordered a few different brands from them for some testing too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: