Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: East Wind Field Craft weekend Jan 2-3 2016 at Cedar Creek  (Read 6563 times)
eightball
You might want to listen up...

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 11:08:03 am »

Weather looks good for traveling... but any chance the current flooding will cancel this event?

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

Everybody wants to be special (forces)
Mr. Ready
Knows what he's talking about...

"As far as I know? Immediately." Gunter Schabowski

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:55 pm »

I was really only planning on bringing one of my radios.

"...That might matter if you were a SUPER TACTICAL DOUBLE BURRITO NINJA GUY..." -- Allan Swayze

OP:EW-VI.  {Automatic Rifleman} 12th Albion Lancers.
OP:EW-VII. {Posten Fuhrer} Grenzetruppen.
OP:EW-VIII.{Squad Leader} US Army.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 05:18:30 pm »

Nope, flooding will not cancel the event.  This is up in a pretty hilly area, we are safe from floods.   
dirtpro

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 08:22:11 pm »

good to hear, i'll plan on being out there Fri eve

Oklahoma Badlands Regulator

www.themilsimperspective.com
eightball

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 09:19:13 am »

Im in, arrival sometime friday night or saterday early morning

I will bring a single prc77

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

David

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 12:14:53 pm »

The forecast shows around 44 during the day and 20 or so at night. Sunny weather. This is going to be fun. I need to charge my camera batteries also.

Multifuel: Burns going in, whistles coming out.
Trucker
East Wind NATO Planning Staff

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 03:33:43 pm »

For you guys that are having to come through St. Louis to the event. Watch all the electronic signs for  I-44 closiers. Your best detour around the flooded parts of I44 is to take I-270 around the north of STL. Then south on I-270 to Manchester Rd./MO 100 west. You will come out on I-44 at Grey Summit at the 152 mile marker. From there you get off at Rolla on US 63 south to Licking, Mo. Take MO 32 west to Roby and Mo 17 North out of Roby. Look for road 274 on your side.
I am checking on MODOT road closiers early tomorrow morning. River is suppost to crest today. I will post up any changes before I leave in the morning.
Give plenty of time. The first 8 miles if Manchester Rd. has alot of stop lights. After Hwy 109 no more stop lights till 44.
I'll be monitoring this site and MODOT,
This posting is coming from Jefferson Co. Island south of STL. Grin Please stay away from here. Roll Eyes
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:06 pm »

NOTE:

Due to small numbers I am shifting this event up to Cedar Creek to best facilitate the objectives of those remaining on the roster. 

See first post for details and I'll see you guys soon!!

David

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 08:13:21 pm »

Though I was sick Saturday I had a lot of fun. I got to practice some land nav and learn more about camping in the cold weather.

eightball

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 06:24:39 am »

Great time, good land nav practice, and excersise carrying the prc77.  I feel a more challenging type of land nav would be possible for me now.

Some recap and questions:
Nosnow is the product Ready was boasting about for waterproofing boots?

The bezel on my compass is very hard to turn.  I am thinking of putting a drop of refined machine oil on it.  Anyone else have this problem?

The phases of a forest are 1st generation, transitional, 2nd generation?

Good stuff,  thanks for hosting this allen!

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:27 am »

D'oh! I missed this post somehow, and I was doing nuffin' all weekend.

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
David

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 11:29:45 am »

The bezels on my Sandy's are also hard to turn. I'd check with Allan before applying any oil just in case there could be a negative consequence. He's the compass master.

Mr. Ready

"As far as I know? Immediately." Gunter Schabowski

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 06:21:25 pm »

I won't pretend like I really enjoyed the event, but as I recognized long ago it's not about fun.

I learned I can survive with much less kit then I thought; however, the key word there was '"Survive."
Comfort was at no level or point attainable by me with such a personal lack of any 'Effective', another key word, snuffle(snivle) gear this resulted in very low personal morale.  
I will be acting to remedy the deficiency in my kit as soon as possible.

I learned that you can never really check your compass to many times and that I should check my tendency to drift right around terrain.
Fortunately I was placed with Trucker who knows his stuff and gave me good pointers and who's stories throughout our trip helped block out the never ending unintelligible local radio station chatter my Chi-Com 884 radio picked up... This I'm sure saved me from throwing myself off the cliff that was our final objective.
Thanks again Trucker.

It was great to see some good friends out there and catch up.

I took pictures which I'll throw up here asap.

All that said, I went, I learned and now know more than I did and refreshed that what had become rusty.

(@Lopez) SNO-SEAL is what I used... It kicks ass.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:22:01 am by Mr. Ready » Logged

"...That might matter if you were a SUPER TACTICAL DOUBLE BURRITO NINJA GUY..." -- Allan Swayze

OP:EW-VI.  {Automatic Rifleman} 12th Albion Lancers.
OP:EW-VII. {Posten Fuhrer} Grenzetruppen.
OP:EW-VIII.{Squad Leader} US Army.
Trucker
East Wind NATO Planning Staff

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 06:44:39 pm »

Tom I know you got it down right. This was the first time I thought I should have been left for dead out there. What I got out of it was never tell Swayze I need to take a LITTLE walk. Overall it was a good time. I should recover in about a week. Grin
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 08:23:59 pm »

Some 100% silicone oil should do fine, just wipe up any excess once you are done. 

First generation Eastern Red Cedar forest, the Cedars move in to reclaim a previously open area such as an abandoned field.   The cedars will poof outwards a great deal to claim as much sunlight and access to water as possible while denying access to competing plants.  This will result in a very dense nest of sticks that is a pain in the ass to get through.  Otherwise known in East Wind parlance as "the crunchberry forest"

Second generation forest, the cedars grow ever upwards and the lower branches begin to die off.   This makes some breaks in the forest where some deciduous trees start to work their way in.  These soon grow taller than the cedars and their canopy deprives the shorter cedars of light.  As a result, the cedars begin to die off,

Third generation, the cedars are mostly gone replaced by hardwoods. 

Why does this matter? 

Because if we know that they cedars are claiming what was once a field when we encounter what is claimed to be a field on an older map, we may in fact be stuck with crunchberry forest.  When we encounter crunchberry forest, we can remind ourselves that if the cedars are reclaiming what was once a cultivated field one need only watch cultivated fields to see that not everything is plowed every time.  For instance, ditches and watercourses frequently are left unplowed, rows of trees are frequently found along fence lines or left on purpose as wind breaks.  If we need to traverse a section of cedars we can frequently make much faster way and get poked in the eyes a great deal less if we look for these features and make use of them.   

Watch for: 
Watercourses.  These need not be on the map and frequently fall in the category of "micro terrain"

Abandoned fences.  Trip on a section of barbed wire in a cedar forest?  Look each way up and down the abandoned fence and you will generally find a narrow but passable lane.

Osage Orange trees.  In the midwest these were frequent along fences or as wind breaks.  They also burn like hellfire and make dandy firewood.  On top of all of that, insects generally hate them so they can provide respite from mosquitos if you are getting hassled by the little bastards. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: