Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Operation Eastwind 8 AAR  (Read 24138 times)
Mercy
Global Moderator
Knows what he's talking about...

Army # 24172366

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2015, 05:34:04 pm »

I'm going through and clearing EW to archives and I mistakenly nuked my picture deck for the event, not that I took that many but I do have these gems.

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
Spectre
Recruit

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2015, 05:36:44 pm »

Sweeeeeet. Yoink.
eightball
You might want to listen up...

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2015, 06:59:50 am »

Sgt. Lopez Op EW 8 AAR
Friday:  I fixed last years problem of anxiously waiting for the carpool to show at my house by sleeping soundly until they arrived.  This time they were anxious to start the trip while I rushed to shower, and drive across town to pick up the last member of the carpool.  We loaded our trailer and the Chicago crew set off on a 13 hour journey though Illinois, Missouri and ending in Wayndotta Oklahoma.  Our convoy arrived at DDAY ADVENTURE PARK around 2030L. After a quick talk with White Cell Craven and I loaded our gear into a truck and we were driven to where the 315RRC was camped.  Ducking into our tent to see the space situation, I was surprised to see so many people there already. US 1 sqd and US 2 sqd were sharing this tent, and once Craven and I arrived there were only two or three people left to straggle in.  I pop into the TOC to say a quick hello before starting to lug all of our gear outside of our tent.  Craven and I were just beginning the process of getting settled when someone comes back from the TOC to say 'Lopez, they would like to see you in the TOC please'  'Who?'  I reply. 'Mercy and Swayze'. I am sat down at the map table not knowing what to expect of this meeting.  The event starts tomorrow and the TOC is still incomplete, an empty tent with a map table, a few folding chairs, and two stoves.  'Lopez, what do you know about the current situation?'  I am asked by Swayze, I then go on to recite how an escalation of a conflict in Czechoslovakia has resulted in the major world powers launching all of their nuclear arsenals.  We, the Berlin Brigade, have been in shelter for the past two weeks and the fallout RAD Levels are now down to a safe enough dosage for us to be outside of the shelters.  Swayze, then asks 'How squared away are you?  How squared away is Craven?'  Very, the only reply I can give.  He asks me if Craven and I would like to play as stragglers, and be dropped off in the AO tonight, ready to go goggles on at first light and find our way back to camp, I agree.  'How long until you are ready?'  I look at my watch, it is now 2100L, and I've been here for 30 minutes already.  'Give me one hour'
   I go back to the squad tent.  Mercy just went through a bare bones pre PCI, and said she would do a PCI with us to make sure we didn't forget anything.  My mind is already racing: Batteries aren't charged, mags aren't loaded, where are my goggles, poly pro?  Whats in my ruck?  Craven is fiddling with gear in the tent, I cant help but smile right before I break the first news at his first Eastwind.  Craven: 'Why do you look like a pig in shit?'  Lopez:  'because... get your shit together, we're going out.  Tonight'  With a lot of cursing and fumbling through assorted crates, and duffle bags we pile up our needed gear, load one mag each and I get a half hours charge on two batteries.  We pack our gear with Mercy in the tent so she can see what we are bringing as we pack it.  Good thing to since there is always one or two things that skip your mind on day negative 1.  Sleeping in the field tonight would be decent enough with the snoring coming out of our tent from the others.  We let command know we are off before getting a ride back to White Cell, where we are then briefed before being loaded into the back of a pickup, told to shut our eyes, and then driven to an unknown location.  We drove for a good 5 minutes. I lost track of our turns plus add hills to someone from the flatlands of the Midwest and I was immediately turned around.  Hoober stopped the truck, turned the lights off and we got out.  He asked us if we knew where we were, I had no idea.  Do we know which way to go?  Nope!  He gave us a 180 degree arc and said this would be a good direction to try, but you are going to start by walking up this hill (the hill in the opposite direction of our general direction) Hoober looked at us for about 5 seconds after that and asked 'so what are you waiting for?'  We rucked up and proceeded to climb the hill.  Once out of sight and we heard the truck drive off I shot a compass bearing so I knew what our general direction should be.  Due East was our general direction, with 90 degrees of play pointed north and south.  We kept walking until we crested the hill, and followed a trail that ran on the top of the hill for some time.  Finally we came across an opening in the trees that obviously had a superb view of the surrounding lands looking East and North East.  We decided to camp near this opening and come daybreak we could get a better visual of the land.  We moved up the trail another 100 meters, walked about 50 meters off the trail into some cover and set up camp.  Now Craven and I just came from Chicagoland that had the coldest February on record.  With windchills pushing the temperature to -10, or -20 degrees and highs in the teens:  That night in Oklahoma was low 40's, upper 30's with light winds and 0% percip.  Vacation time was well chosen, and that was one warm night to sleep outside

Continuing our search for friendly units
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjZxeRPGMyE

SATERDAY
SGT Lopez and TRP Craven, survivors from 2nd PLT B Co 6th Battalion 502 INF, we had been traveling for several days on a very limited supply of food that was bound to dry up on this day.  We had woken up with the sun, around 0600L just as the sun was rising.  We ate some food, packed the rucks and sanitized the bivaoc before returning to the trail.  We returned to the clearing in the trees first and crept close to the edge.  We had a great view of the next hill but a tree line on the crest hid what lay beyond it.  Some vehicles littered the hill including a civilian bus and a mobile rocket launcher.  Seeing a short range missile gave us some hope that we were getting close to the IGB.  Seeing no movement around the vehicles we set off on the trail again watching our compass's closely as we moved.  The trail started off North, and eventually turned East and descended down the hill, almost immediately all of the tree cover was lost, and heavy thorn bush growth on either side made skirting the trail harder than it was worth.  I observed the valley for some time and confident no one was observing this one trail we proceeded down into the valley.  A major rd crossed our direction of travel at the bottom of the valley, again after observing we bolted across the open and started up the target hill inside the woods, just off the road.  When we reached the top we did a quick recon of the vehicles and surrounding area.  Upon closer inspection they appeared to be simply abandoned, but without any fuel.  Denied more motor transport we started cutting our own trail due northeast until we came to a long road going directly north-south.  A fence on the east side of the road threw us off, so we followed the road north and we finally found a very welcoming sight of the marked IGB.  Feeling a little safer on our side of the curtain we proceeded about 100m north before spotting fresh NATO tire tracks.  One off putting variable was accompanying chevron tracks that we had never seen before.  But craven and I decided we should at least follow them and hopefully we won't find a group of soviets cruising with a NATO vehicle.  We followed the winding tracks for some time, being careful to keep eyes out and observe everything.  We lost the tracks by an airfield and old WWII fortifications.  But upon checking the roads we were soon on the trail again.  At this point we were down to the last of our rations.  Several valleys and hills later we came to the top of a hill with a large platuae where we observed five NATO tents sitting in a row and some foot traffic mulling about.

Sneaking closer we trusted they were Americans and a few West Germans.  So we entered the camp (unchallenged I might add) and reported to their TOC.  We found them very short staffed, the CO, intelligence officer and supply officer were the only U.S. officers left here.  We learned we had stumbled on the 315th Radio Relay Company, their CO was a Captain Swayze, and he quickly got us some food and debriefed us with the command staff and a new XO, a British officer named Mercy.  After debriefing we relaxed as a part of their SAT team, and provided security for the CO and XO as they made independent motor recon patrols, and sent a spare tire to US 2 Sqd for their CUCV.  After gaining some familiarity with their AO, Cpt. Swayze attached us to US 2 Sqd and he even replenished our gear with that of soldiers who never showed up before the flash.  That evening was spent squaring away our bunks and meeting 2nd sqd (Ready, Goering, Beik, and Dominum) and an embedded reporter, Arbee

Sunday:  Sunday morning started with a SAT duty from 0600-1200.  Our squad is now finally all together and now we are all relearning how to do our jobs at eastwind.  Things like arrive to your SAT 15 minutes prior to your start time in order to be briefed on the situation.  Early during our duty, probably within half an hour of starting a contact call comes in from a squad in the field.  XO Mercy immediately starts yelling to the SAT team to get loaded into our truck.  Lopez, Craven, Beik, Dom, and the reporter run to the truck, but the radio man, Goering, is the duty runner and can't come with, and Ready is the watch officer, but also the driver.  In the rush of getting out of the FOB, I wasn't sure who else could drive, and I had the radio on my back already.  I make Craven drive so I can fiddle with the radio, while also navigating.  

The night is pitch black out.  Clouds keep the star and moon light hidden.  The CUCV bangs and rocks down the rutted roads.  Headlights were allowed on until we got past the most crammed part of the AO, between points Poison and Ratt. Craven is spewing nonstop curse words and complaints about whats happening here.  I keep trying to get a radio check in but can't hear the squelch on the radio.  I know it must be off but the radio is strapped to my back and I can barely fit in the cab of the CUCV with all the gear on and a rifle pointed out the passenger window.  Craven has never seen a PRC-77 before so has no idea what to look for while steering the pickup through winding roads.  We finally get out of the tight road and I have Craven turn off the lights, tactically it is a good move but now we can only see the grasses immediately on our sides.  Keep the truck in the dark spots, go down the hill easy.  It curves left, do not put it in the ditch on the right because we will get soaked.  Driving just fine with no night vision Craven steers it around to the airfield.  I tell him as soon as he can see the first large building, to gun it, and throw the truck around the building, and we will disembark there.  When the truck stops I bail out of the passenger side.  Beik is already out of the bed of the truck taking up security.  After listening for a second I throw off the radio, bury it in a culvert and switch on a flashlight, found the power switch!  On!  I call in the radio check; they hear my loud and clear!  Two things have finally gone right with this drive.  Arbee is on my side 'Do you know what the situation is?'  I give a quick 'shutup' as I make our plan.  I gather everyone up and tell them, we are going to do a quick sweep south to the IGB, before entering Cottbus.  We move quickly, but only make it to the fuel tanks before I hear higher calling me on the radio.  I halt the group and hunker down to copy.  They send 'Return to Base'. I start gathering our people to go back to the CUCV, passing Arbee he asks 'what is going on?'  'We've been ordered to return to base' I reply.  I volunteer to drive back but didn't have it nearly as bad.  The faintest amount of sunlight started to show over the horizon, turning it from black to dark purple. That might as well have been floodlights compared to our drive out.  When we returned to base Arbee asked me one more time what the situation was.  A quick thought provided him with the best response I could give 'I know as much as you do'.  We returned to sit out the rest of our SAT duty is peace.  Later we would learn that the West German squad that was in the field took several casualties and decided to cancel their mission.  When Higher learned this they decided to have us come back as well.

SAT ended at 1200, and we had a patrol scheduled afterwards.  Our squad was tasked with meticulously clearing 'death valley' while looking for any and all signs that there has been an enemy presence in the valley.  We took the CUCV and the reporter into the AO, Ready parked the CUCV at the mouth of death valley.  Bravo team (Goering, Beik, and Dom) and Arbee would be on the ground floor while Alpha team (Lopez, Craven) would be on a trail that paralleled the valley, half way up the hill.  Once we were in position we slowly moved through the valley.  I had point for Alpha team, and it was very slow going as I moved forward, stopped, listened, observed the valley, the path in front of us, the hill to our right (west side), then looking across the valley to the hill on the east side.  Only then would I move forward, and Bravo team was taking just as much time creeping along the ground floor, peeking into every building, looking around every piece of cover.  The truck was left at the beginning of the valley with Ready.  Once half way through we signaled for him to bring the truck forward, then proceeded to do the same routine through the second half of the valley.  Bravo team built up their evidence, an old wire line, ice caught in barrels, an empty water buffalo.  Alpha team found footprints on our path, with a direction of travel heading away from the IGB into West Germany.  We finished up the patrol, drove out of the valley, swept the east hill and turned up nothing.  We headed back to the FOB and debriefed.  

Standing outside our tent with Ready, we were having a smoke while chatting about the days patrol and wondering what was about to happen.  A WARNO had been issued to the entire company, in fifteen minutes we would all be in the TOC to hear what the plan was.   One of the Canadian Infantryman, McKay, happily passed us by pausing to chat before going into the TOC.  In a perfect good cop bad cop routine CSM Shaeffer stepped out of the TOC immediately after, turned a brisk 90 degrees facing the troop tents and screamed 'All you lazy fucks get into the TOC right now!'  In the apparent early is on time, on time is late theology going down, Ready yells out to second squad, who heard CSM Shaeffer just as clearly as us and we were all in the TOC within seconds.  Once the company was fully accounted for (besides those in the field) the WARNO was delivered:  A military ambulance has been found disabled in the AO.  It sits on a bridge in East Germany and U.S. bodies have been confirmed to be inside the vehicle as well as medical supplies.  The plan is to assault up the airfield, pushing directly south through Cottbus to the bridge, do any repairs to the vehicle there and extract via main roads back to the FOB.  The Canadians would leave early and screen Cottbus.  US 3 Sqd, West Germans, US 2 Sqd, and HQ element will convoy from FOB to point Striper, and then do the dirty work.  Finally US 1 Sqd, which is currently in the field, will receive a change of orders and be covering the west flank, and major roadways closer to the bridge (point Hendrix).  The squads then went their own ways to write their OPORDs, we shot through ours and prepped gear, checked out some night vision equipment, then ate a dinner.  We were nearly ready to go by the time the company gathered in the TOC again to hear each squads OPORD.  We were instructed to go first, our OPORD is copied below:

Phase 1.  Insertion:  US 2 Sqd will use organic transport stepping off in a convoy, order of convoy is US 3 Sqd, WG, US 2 Sqd, HQ (Canadians had left earlier to screen Cottbus from the airfield)  Entering the AO via point Poison, drive through Max-Brunnow StaBe, through point Pepper, head north west to RT31, wait for US 3 Sqd to clear point Striper, then drive to point Striper
Phase 2. Dismount at point Striper and form a skirmish line at grid 50957055.  Wait for command signal to advance due south.  We have the far left flank, West Germans are in the center, US 3 Sqd will be on the right and HQ element will wait for an all clear at Hendrix before advancing.  Advance upon the signal for 400m to grid 50957005, turn south east and advance to the IGB.  Wait for proword Strudel (the WG have crossed the IGB) before we cross, or no later than 2300L.  Then we skirt the left side of the town, bypassing the town. Once around Cottbus we will move south west advancing on point Hendrix
Phase 3.  Once on point Hendrix Fire Team Alpha will cross the bridge to set up fighting positions at any available shelter to cover the south end of the bridge.  Bravo team will set up east of the target sight covering south and east while providing any assistance as requested by the HQ staff/recovery team
Phase 4. Extraction:  Upon proword Cornhole we will regroup at extraction sight, form up in a staggered column behind the HQ element and move north via RT15, turning into RT31 and continue south on the main road to point Striper.  Provide security before loading up and extracting via convoy back to FOB

After listening to every other squads plan, noting the friendly units we would be crossing, and given a load of prowords to be used in the field we were dismissed to prep.  There was about an hour and a half until our 2200L step off time, I had ordered our squad to be ready in 45 minutes, and we will spend the other 45 minutes outside of the tent to adjust our eyes to the dark.  I did the PCI's for everyone in the light of the tent then sent them outside, Ready double checked my kit before I left.  We then stood around and talked through the OPORD, quizzed each other on the challenge and password, 'how many times will we be crossing friendly forces?  Who goes across the bridge when we hit point Hendrix? What squad will be at Hendrix with us? what is the proword to cross the IGB?  Order of march leaving the FOB?  I say the challenge Lincoln, what is the response?  Mercury, good.  Feeling really good that all of US 2 Sqd would be squared away during this assault, we moved in front of our vehicle and sat down and relaxed until the order came to mount up.
It is amazing how you never realize the lack of sleep you have gotten over the last 36 hours when your sitting in a rumbling truck during the middle of the night, loaded down with a 'light' kit getting ready to do your part in a big operation, a big operation that may or may not go as well as you planned for.  XO Mercy quickly walks up and down the parked convoy, taking the final accountability check before we step off.  CO Swayze is the last to talk to us, I can't remember the whole speech, but what sticks out in my memory included "I am the death that stalks in the night... this is not a sneaky mission, do not be quiet, you do not need to whisper.  I don't care if they know we are there"  I guess mortars and motor vehicle convoys don't say quiet.  Finally we step off, throughout the drive we could only see the dark silhouette of the command vehicle behind us, leaning around the cab of our CUCV and the faint red convoy lights of the MUTT in front of us lead the way for Sgt Ready to drive.  We hit point STRIPER and disembarked.  US 3 Sqd was spread out covering the area, we took up our position as they moved to the right side of the airfield.  The moon was full, and hardly any clouds in the sky.  I looked at the ground to find a very distinct shadow, and checked to see what the West Germans would look like through night vision and the naked eye, being they were directly on our right for the push through the airfield.  The order was given to move out and we started huffing it up the hill.  We headed due south on a hill that sloped up southwest, and it was not an easy climb.  Alpha, myself and craven, were very excited to keep up with the West Germans, but we started leaving behind our squad.  When the distance grew to an unacceptable level SGT Ready yelled to us to stop.  They caught up and he informed us that our squad sticks together.  I'm now trying to keep eyes on the West German squad as we start moving again.  Loosing all visual contact now I'm worrying about our part of the mission, as we get close to the IGB Ready stops us again.  He says that he doesn't like how close to the town the plan takes us, so he leads us over a foot bridge so we are staged on the south east end of the town, I get close to the woods line and watch the town and our right with the night vision scope.  I can't see any movement, and Goering is not hearing anything on comms.  After a few minutes Ready decides that we are proceeding with the mission anyway.  We run across the open field around the town, our shadows clear as day and I know that anyone in the town will see perfect silhouettes of us.  Again craven and I try to outrun the squad, Ready orders us to bring up the rear.  I keep scanning the town, then our left flank with the night vision.  Soon after we come up to point Hendrix, the biggest bridge in our AO, HQ staff is driving up the road close behind us.  Now I am worried that we haven't cleared the area and now our recovery crew may be driving into an ambush.  Craven and I clear the bridge and quickly inspect the vehicle.  No mines went off, and no tripwires shimmered in the moon light.  We bolt to a building where we are softly challenged "Lincoln" a figure steps out of the building "Mercury" I reply.  It seems that US 3 Sqd made it to the bridge; I suppose they must have sounded the all clear to HQ.  We relieve 3rd squad and take up defensive positions as HQ gets to work on the ambulance.  Before long we hear it start up and as soon as it is clear of the bridge proword Cornhole is loudly sounded.  Craven and I cross the bridge and link up with our squad again.  We leave with the ambulance, US 3 Sqd has pushed further south on the main road to deploy the covering screen of CS gas.  We leave a green chemlight as a signal to say 'we are all gone, brass anything else moving'.  We tail the ambulance down the road passing Cottbus.  The West Germans are making their way to the road we are on.  I watch the lead West German for a while, he jumps when he sees us, raising his weapon and shouts "Mercury... I mean LINCOLN!"  Without thinking I yell back "That's not how that works... Fuck You!" and all of US 2 Sqd passes them by without getting shot at.  We walk back to the vehicles mount up and RTB.  A near perfect mission, but once we arrived safely back at the FOB we learned that US 1 Sqd hit contact as they RTB in a valley west of the airfield, only one survivor managed to sneak back.  But no other squad hit contact, and there were no friendly fire incidents.  The entire company is put on rest and SGT Ready volunteers to watch the radio's and TOC overnight.  We do a quick AAR and rack out.

A side note on this mission.  I personally felt that this was my apex of being 2ic of the squad.  From helping Ready with the OPORD, PCI, being ready 45 minutes early for night vision adjustment.  Before we stepped off we were on the ball and I am proud of assisting Ready in making that happen.  This was also Ready's best mission in my opinion.  Twice he stopped me from outrunning the squad, making it very clear that "we all go or no one goes"  He thought about everyone in that squad that night!  The decision to go further away from Cottbus probably saved our lives since we had lost visual with the West Germans, then the decision to cross the border instead of waiting for radio call was made just in time (because 20 seconds later we would have been BEHIND the HQ element!)

Below:  A blury photo taken just before the squads delivered their OPORDs to the rest of the company

sighting in night vision prior to the assault

The report of the deceased found in the ambulance

Ready loved what happened with the West Germans... this resulted
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:05:38 am by eightball » Logged

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

Everybody wants to be special (forces)
dirtpro

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2015, 11:18:36 pm »

^ I really need that photo made into a patch.

Oklahoma Badlands Regulator

www.themilsimperspective.com
Rekkon
Might know something...

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2015, 08:59:18 am »

Troy and I were joking about the "Eastwind T-shirt line" on the way home.  Lopez's contribution will have to be added to "No Food Taken by Falconry" and Schaefer "Unfuck Yourself!"
daddyo

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 12:44:48 pm »

Lopez, you are now part of Engineering lore on the Gulf Coast as I have hung that meme on my bulletin board in my office.

Your EW exploits shall live on forever.
RayBz
Recruit

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2015, 11:30:53 am »

If there is one that says "Falcon, do the OPORD!" then I shall buy ten!
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2015, 11:45:41 am »

Sorry, I cannot follow any opords procured by falconry... 

eightball

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2015, 07:53:53 am »

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

Everybody wants to be special (forces)
dirtpro

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2015, 09:22:30 pm »

Hey all, finally got around to completing my EW8 story/aar. Like last year, the parts will be going live one at a time on Thursday evenings so that's why some of the links don't work yet. Of course feel free and correct me if any of you remember something better than I do Smiley

Part 1: http://www.themilsimperspective.com/2015/07/09/operation-eastwind-8-aar/
Part 2: http://www.themilsimperspective.com/2015/07/16/operation-eastwind-8-aar-part-2/
Part 3: http://www.themilsimperspective.com/2015/07/23/operation-eastwind-8-aar-part-3/
Part 4: http://www.themilsimperspective.com/2015/07/30/operation-eastwind-8-aar-part-4/
Part 5: http://www.themilsimperspective.com/2015/08/06/operation-eastwind-8-aar-part-5/
Part 6: http://www.themilsimperspective.com/2015/08/13/operation-eastwind-8-aar-part-5-2/
Part 7: http://www.themilsimperspective.com/2015/08/20/operation-eastwind-8-aar-part-7/
Part 8 and AAR: http://www.themilsimperspective.com/2015/08/27/operation-eastwind-8-aar-part-8/

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2015, 09:20:45 am »

Good man Dirt Pro, I do so enjoy reading your AARs.  Keep us posted as you add to the list. 

dirtpro

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2015, 10:06:32 am »

Thanks! They're scheduled to automatically post between 2000-2200hrs each Thusday but I'll do my best to remember to post here once they're all up.

dirtpro

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2015, 07:07:22 pm »

Parts 1-6 are live, 7 and 8 will be up on the next two Thursdays

Yote
Recruit

Hollywood

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2015, 06:21:13 am »

Had forgotten about this.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oVCNvo-JL_BX-9KZG1wY96fYiMvfN8eONNCdXynQE6E/edit?pli=1

I'm no writer and probably am forgetting a bunch of stuff, but hopefully it gets things across good enough.
Mordarski J.A.

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2015, 06:57:12 pm »

Not quite an AAR, but the Canadian video perspective is now live on YouTube!

Link -> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxOSPSPOkCCti4oMgNzeTmA4TP7LZgQ6x

Josh Mordarski
South Manitoba Rifles

"We are not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department.  We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people." - Gen. (Ret'd) Rick Hillier, OC, CMM, MSC, CD

EW5 - Rfn
EW6 - RadOp
EW7 - RadOp
EW8 - RadOp
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: