Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WARPAC tent heating plan  (Read 2114 times)
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: February 16, 2015, 08:53:52 am »

OK - so this year we will only have 3 tents up - all Temper (East German stand-in) tents.

Shtab - will have barrel stove like last year.  We will have a section set up in the Shtab for a ready/briefing area. This replaces the Ready tent - that honestly rarely got used much anyway.

East Germans and Shtab staff - we will be using one of the diesel heaters in this tent.  It is less hassle and does not require all that time and energy to go locate and cut firewood.  I think if we all pitch in $10 it will give us good heat all week without having to get up and add wood all the time. I have 5 scepter cans so one fuel run midweek and we should be good.

Soviet quarters - this will have the Czech stove in it.  It will take some effort to get wood cut for this. We will see what can get done the next two weekends - but Soviets plan on talking nicely to some of the local guys to get some wood for you early and plan on working hard the first day you are there getting wood stocked up. While I have a second diesel stove - I think that the Czech stove will work better given your food plans since it has a nice flat top for heating things up.  Plus is is a pimp stove!
Hunterm16a2
Might know something...

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 07:32:45 am »

I'll scout around the OKC area the week before to see if anybody has any (free) firewood worth hauling up there for the Soviets. Seems like there's a plentiful supply right now, and with only two of us I'm sure we can spare the cargo room.
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:54:39 am »

When I pre-stage the Gaz (probably weekend of the 28th) I will drag along my Little Jonesred Saw and of course the pioneer kit. Was going to scoot around and clear trails but if the mutts are doing that this weekend I'll just pitch in with the rest of the work going on that weekend but may get to cutting a little wood on the side.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Stagg
Global Moderator

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:10:17 am »

Clearing trails IS cutting firewood.  And if more is needed we have scouted the good tree-falls for further cutting.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:49:31 am »

Clearing trails IS cutting firewood.  And if more is needed we have scouted the good tree-falls for further cutting.

That's the point I was trying to get at, The itinerary for our work weekends puts trail clearing for this upcoming weekend vs. next weekend when I had schemed to accomplish that.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:07:39 am »

I bet there will still be plenty of trails that need cleared...
omen
You might want to listen up...

Curfman

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 11:23:02 am »

I plan to spend a few day or so on the field before or after a work weekends doing things like clearing trails and bringing back firewood.

I will bring out my splitting maul.

Having played this cruel fire wood game before, I was planning on cutting the wood in the field to size for the barrel stove (about 2 to 2.5 feet).

If I were a Soviet i would ask for wood from the 2-3 foot log pile and cut it to size them. Cutting wood in to Czech stove or USGI pot bellied stove size in the field is only efficient if all your stoves run on wood that is 4 inches long.

I don't know think Brett has a scheduled for work weekend as of yet.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:45:02 pm by omen » Logged
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 11:25:12 am »

I just added WARPAC plans to the original setup weekend posts.
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:28:21 am »

And yes - I would suggest the Soviets - (since all are not even remotely local) find out who has worked to stock pile wood - and thank them and offer them candy and other good eats for their efforts and ask for some of the wood they cut for the Shtab.

The other option is if you can find some coal - use that since the Czech stove is really meant to burn coal.

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:38:06 am »

I plan to tune up my saw so it's kicking asses and taking names.  With the overall reduction in the fuel wood requirement on NATO, I might be able to hack up a a batch for the Soviets as well.   I am assuming that, like the pot belly stoves, the Czech stove prefers to run off of wood "hunks" rather than logs? 

tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:39:40 am »

Yes - hunks work pretty well.

I imagine about the same size too.

it is out at DDay so I cannot measure again to find the exact dimensions it can take.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: