Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GAZ69m Needs A New Home... Ours!  (Read 9565 times)
Stagg
Global Moderator
Knows what he's talking about...

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2014, 07:55:49 pm »

I actually have water pumps, and some other spare bits that we forgot to toss in there.  Forgot them in the containers here in the yard.

Apparently the pumps are rebuild-able too. One of these should work, so keep the old one.  Just have to make sure we post up the results so the other GAZ people out there can be jealous of the mighty horse power in there.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2014, 08:26:25 pm »

Excellent...Excellent. The plan lurches forward once more...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:48:12 pm by Master Chef » Logged

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2014, 02:31:21 pm »

Update on the Gaz. I went to shuttle it out of the barn for a bit of electrical work given how nice it is outside right now and was dismayed to find that I had a cylinder that wasn't firing. After determining that it was cylinder 4 that was the trouble maker I pulled the spark plug to see if they were fouled or otherwise the issue.

Spark plugs out of 1,2,3 and 4 respectively. 4 was fouled but not badly enough that I'd think it would be the problem. I swapped the spark plugs from 3 and 4 and found that the problem didn't follow the spark plug. Checked the wire to the plug for spark, it had good spark.

Pulled all the spark plugs out to test compression and found cylinder 4 had none. At this point it was time to pull the valve cover to troubleshoot further. Problem there being that the rednecks that had swapped the S21 Zuk motor in had radiused the firewall with the engine itself.

Not only was there no clearance between the firewall and the engine but the lip of the valve cover was pinched between the two. After attempting to leverage the engine with a jack the the two forward engine mounts it was decided more drastic action was needed.

Now that the prybar had given us plenty of room, we could remove the valve cover and find that the breather lets water into the aluminum head.

Milky oil between Cylinder 3 exhaust valve and cylinder 4 intake valve
After rotating the engine we found nothing stuck, but the exhaust valve on cylinder 4 had about a quarter inch too much clearance when closed. further investigation shows the Valve spring to be broken. The valve moves very easily which is a hopeful sign that the piston didn't get into it, but we're still looking at pulling the head to see what is what in there.

If push comes to shove the zuk engine might not be long for this vehicle.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2014, 05:47:07 pm »

That sucks.

I have a GAZ-24 engine here (the one the UAZ engine is based off)

Not sure if that makes things any better- but it is here if needed.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2014, 05:55:52 pm »

Easy fix, do not pull the head. 

with the plug out wind use the sparkplug hole to feed in a bunch of nylon clothes line.  Not all obviously, you'll wany to be able to pull it back out, once you have plenty in there tun the motor over by hand till the piston comes up and shoves the clothes line against the valves holding them in place. 

You may then remove the valve springs and the like without fear of the valves dropping in and being impossible to retrieve.  replace the broken valve spring and stick it back together. 

Piece of cake. 

Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2014, 03:55:35 am »

Parts are sort of difficult to source for this engine but I've finally got the required bits on the way here with the help of Mario Tarmot, the Italian-French Pollack who runs Tarmot 4x4 in Warsaw.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2015, 08:25:19 pm »

Spring is in and the Gaz purrs like a kitten. Much improved even over the way it ran before the dead cylinder, which makes me think that spring was slow and weak for a while. That happened last weekend. This weekend I tackled the water pump, draining and flushing the cooling system and water jacket (there were seeds in there). Pulled off the fan first which had taken a bite out of something a while ago and is out of balance. Took off the Generator too now that there is an alternator waiting in the wings. Finally removed the water pump to find that the water pump I have to stick on is not the correct one. Two holes mostly line up with the block but the third is about 2 inches off to the right. So now it is off to source one of those with the cast number...

Camera is acting up so no pictures for the moment, both weekends have been documented thus far.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Stagg
Global Moderator

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2015, 08:58:14 pm »

Dang, I guess Polish Zuk engines just had to be different from the Russian engines.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:03 pm »

Got Gaz parts on the way from all points (of the very small and specific part of Europe I seem to find these things in), including a water pump from Warsaw. We'll see what arrives in time for the event.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: