Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eastwind 8 Camp  (Read 3459 times)
Mayor C
Been here a while.

« on: February 02, 2015, 07:07:31 pm »

What are we going to do for a camp this year. I can bring a 10 man arctic which sleeps 4 on cots or 3 if there is a heater. It is definitely not the best tent but it packs well and is available.

I will also be bringing a few extra half shelters we can make a cooking/washing shelter.

We should get a list of camp needs and split them up so we have everything and are not doubling up on items.

If someone is doing a German Deli Schokakola order, I can papal you some money and split the freight.

Entschuldigung, aber sie haben ihr Handgranate vegessen
Exarach
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »

I won't speak for all, but I think the Az guys are all set. Jason and Rich have some ECWS tents, and a few similar ones, I have a 2 man ver. Ordered a 10+ pack of shoka goodness to share with all, and I think Nuke may have as well.

I have a few shelter halves I am going to bring, and a ton of misc.

I am really hoping a slew of long range patrols will have us out overnight, so we do not go stir crazy in camp, but I am up for anything! Smiley

The 5-10 man arctic tents are hands down my favorite looking tents, sans a gp med. They are awesome. If you want to bring it, I am sure we will help you set it up. Maybe use it as a focal point?

I am beyond excited for this years Eastwind, and will probably go overboard haha.

Lets keep this thread going!

We need a stove? I inherited that beautiful West German one from a Canadian chap last year, but after a few tries to repair it, and almost being roasted 1-2x, I have kinda put it aside for now.

Horrido!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:16:19 pm by Exarach » Logged

"Friendly Fire Isn't"
CPT Stagg
Might know something...

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:10:39 am »

If everyone brings shelter halfs or at least some kind of approved tent they could sleep in their own tent. That way you could use the 10 man arctic as a briefing, squad storage, storage overflow, ready room, armory, mess, etc. 

Do we have a heater/stove for the tent? I thought I saw that someone had picked up one of the wood burning stoves, but I have to admit I'm not paying the closest attention this year and I don't want to make decisions/promises when I'm not even sure I will make it back from Kuwait in time.
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 03:45:01 pm »

Cam I know that you have both the Swingfire and a new in the crate H45 heater here  Either of those would do the job but you'll have to watch the heat output on the H45 since it is a little tall for the 10 man arctic.   I know that the Canadian Forces guys have a total of 3 sections of Frame Expandable on hand so you might be able to arrange a deal with them to mooch a section in exchange for carting approximately a 10 man arctic tent's worth of kit back up to Winnipeg instead of carting a tent down and back up.  That seems like a win/win situation for everyone that way.  The H45 would be the cats pajamas heat wise since it would heat the dickens out of a section of Frame Expandable tent without the need to wake anyone up in the middle of the night to stoke or change fuel cans.   You could split fuel costs across the section pretty easily by just having everyone bring along about 5 gallons of diesel.  I can loan you guys a scepter can to feed out of. 

Exarach, bring that stove.  Odds are that Cam or I can sort it, that thing is about typical of the stoves from our era, all the outdoors folks who couldn't figure those out were killed in the forest fires they caused back then so most of us who survived are pretty savvy to those little beasts.   A couple more stoves would likely be a wise investment as well of course. 

Also keep in mind that as long as you are not setting the entire world on fire, you are more than welcome to cook in the ready tent. 

Exarach

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »

Exarach, bring that stove.  Odds are that Cam or I can sort it, that thing is about typical of the stoves from our era, all the outdoors folks who couldn't figure those out were killed in the forest fires they caused back then so most of us who survived are pretty savvy to those little beasts.   A couple more stoves would likely be a wise investment as well of course. 

Also keep in mind that as long as you are not setting the entire world on fire, you are more than welcome to cook in the ready tent. 

Awesome! Will do!

"Friendly Fire Isn't"
nukeduster
Might know something...

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:05:39 pm »

Any advice for an appropriate heater for the LEWS or ECWS?
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 04:28:23 am »

Pretty much additional sleeping bags.  Those guys are both adapted from high end backpacking/mountaineering tents and are just not built for heaters.   Sleep in a giant hamster nest of blankets and sleeping bags, hang out in the tents with heat.  That's basically what I do myself, it's easy enough.   
Exarach

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:33 pm »

Any idea who owned the G3 Stands from the tent last year?

Are those coming again?
They were quite useful

"Friendly Fire Isn't"
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 09:02:55 pm »

I own those, they will be there again. 

Exarach

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 09:18:14 pm »

I own those, they will be there again.  

nice!

Now we are coming together haha! We have storage. Cots, and shelter halves. We will be just fine
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:32:52 pm by Exarach » Logged

"Friendly Fire Isn't"
Mayor C
Been here a while.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 09:10:19 am »

The Canadians have graciously offered us the use of a Mod tent and liner for the week. I have a heater down there as well making a nice unit for us all to stay in.

We will as a group have to set it up and take it down after the event, so plan on staying two hours after the end to help tear down, fold and pack away the tent and liner. Realistically it should not take much more than an hour if we hustle. My wife and I set my mod up in one hour and took it down in the same, without liner but all together that should only ad a half hour or so.

This would complete us as a squad and give us the experience of being in a military base rather than just camping for the week. I will also give us a proper place to leave our gear while we are away for missions, give us a place to hang and dry clothing if it is a cold or rainy week and allow us to sleep in comfort on proper cots in relative warmth.

Two years ago we had six in the tent quite comfortably, a little crowded but not bad, if Stagg can make it we may have to move a bit but we will be fine. Everyone will still need a half shelter but bringing your own tent will be unnecessary.

Entschuldigung, aber sie haben ihr Handgranate vegessen
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 09:12:43 am »

That is THE answer to this for sure.   For you guys that were here last year, it's comparable in size to what you all stayed in but with the liner much more energy efficient. 

CPT Stagg
Might know something...

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:51:10 am »

Awesome! As it stands now, I should be able to make it. I'll be escaping this beautiful sunny land soon and if reintegration goes as planned I hope to be on the road to war early early Wednesday the 11th.

Try not to kill all of the enemy by then please.
omen

Curfman

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:30:33 am »

Try not to kill all of the enemy by then please.

Don't worry, we have skilled S1 who can seemingly find replacements in only a few hours after a sudden drop in personnel levels.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:54:00 am by omen » Logged
Mordarski J.A.

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 02:21:20 pm »

Don't worry, we have skilled S1 who can seemingly find replacements in only a few hours after a sudden drop in personnel levels.

Damned conscription!

Josh Mordarski
South Manitoba Rifles

"We are not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department.  We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people." - Gen. (Ret'd) Rick Hillier, OC, CMM, MSC, CD

EW5 - Rfn
EW6 - RadOp
EW7 - RadOp
EW8 - RadOp
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: