Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Travel from the UK to the USA  (Read 1405 times)
AlexJones
Recruit

« on: September 13, 2014, 08:02:31 am »

If there are any Brits that can give me tips/ advice on travelling from the UK to america, I am 19 at the moment but will be 20 by march, so a hire car is out of the question, I will be travelling possibly alone as I have one other guy who wants to go, so any information is welcome as EW8 will be my first and apparent last so I want to do everything I can to get there.
R.Chappell
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:51:52 am »

Funnily enough, I've just come on to message aswayze about attending next year.

I've done it twice, and if it wasn't for the extremely hospitable and helpful community, it wouldn't have been easy at all to attend.

Kit. Make sure you have everything packed, plus civvies for a couple of days either side of the event. I packed most stuff in my Bergen and had a holdall too for hold luggage, then used a patrol pack as my carry on that had a change of clothes, plus normal flying stuff. I have borrowed sleeping bags both times, and I have a cot over there already, but borrowing one would be the way forward.

Guns. If you are able to borrow from someone, this is the way I would go. I brought guns last time, and it caused a 4 hour checking in headache at Manchester airport. Make sure you have orange tips fitted.

Travel. Flights can be had for 400 quid to MCI/KCI. I was fortunate enough that aswayze came and picked me up from the airport, showed me around and took me to and from the event. I also crashed at his too. All in all, that amazing hospitality made my life easier on this front. Rest assured, I'd do the same for anyone coming over here.

Last time I roped a mate into attending, so we were able to split kit between bags to bring overall costs down in excess baggage charges. Between us we had three bags and a rifle hard case, plus our patrol packs as carry on. To be fair, I had a load of food and some MTP for people which increased what we took with us, but then I came back with a load of stuff too.

Prussian Field Marshall Von Moltke over a hundred years ago commented: “The British Army has some of the best training manuals in the world; thank goodness they don’t read them!”
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:39:18 pm »

Azubi is obviously the source for practical info.on the trip since he has made the hip hop over twice now.  On our end, you won't need a rental car, we can get you everywhere and anywhere you want to go.   Just make sure you are covered gear wise either by bringing stuff along or borrowing kit and get yourself to Kansas City early enough to catch a ride down (usually the Wed before) and we'll get it from there.
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:00:48 am »

Once you guys figure out what you have and what you want to borrow start a thread listing the items you need.  I'd venture to guess we can find it here in short order!

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
AlexJones
Recruit

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:55:44 pm »

Im guessing a date hasn't been set yet but would it be advisable to get to Kansas the day before the convoy and stay in a hotel, i will start a tread soon just after i have collected all my gear together as i have many different variations and types most of what i need are just the small things that i can get but i would need a cot, sleeping bag if i cant find a sleeping bag and a gun,  the most expensive part of this is the flight and i need to make sure that i can afford it.
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:33:02 am »

None of that would be difficult to borrow on this side of the water.  Once you're sure of your specific needs we'll go from there.

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: