Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Important announcement regarding East Wind 8 and beyond.  (Read 13347 times)
daddyo
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 06:45:52 am »

Well now it is imperative to make sure and have Headhunter up and running by Christmas to make sure it's road worthy by March.

It would be great to try and get in touch with all former EW vets and get them on the field for one final event.
dirtpro
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 07:43:27 am »

Well it really pains me to read this...just when I'd finally found an event that was truly challenging and enjoyable it ends! I completely understand the reasoning behind the decision and wish everyone the best. I'll be doing everything within my power to be at EW8.

Oklahoma Badlands Regulator

www.themilsimperspective.com
Komissar
Might know something...

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 07:58:58 am »

Well I can say that I am both saddened and surprised.
I have been inactive in the game over the last few years and even while I had little time or money to play, EW has shone as a beacon of what Airsoft could be.

I promised myself I would attend just one Ew at the least. When I started playing, 5 short years ago, the game was different too. I fully agree that the games and events are slowly becoming a contest of personal or small group achievement rather than true milsim or large style events. I had first seen EW as the gold standard, not just in authenticity, but in play style. Since I started I had looked at footage from the European Airsoft community of their large games, carefree but authentic kits, and of course, the airsofters' Mecca that is Berget.  The point is I wanted more than weekend games working around a paintball park so as not to disturb the paintballers. I was attached to the idea of a game that lasted more than a few days where players slept in the field. There was nothing on this side of the pond though.
But there was EW.

Maybe it is the stark contrast to my life experience or maybe it's just plain cool. I first saw a Soviet kit when I was Looking for "cheap" camo online. I was hooked. I had heard about the Cold War in textbooks, from my parents and on tv, and I had even touched a piece of the wall that my grandpa brought back from his deployment in Berlin. The point is that I joined RA and I saw a small community within Airsoft that I could be a part of. A community with a love for gear and authenticity. But even that changed. New people came to the forum and brought more rails and ar parts than we could add to the "my eyes" thread. Every time a kid posted a picture of himself wearing multicam there was less and less reaction until it seems anything labeled "Russian" was acceptable. And yes, it really is acceptable for modern kits now, but the feel of the community changed.

EW is different though. This forum still reminds me of musty communist gear and battered wood furniture. I had planned on attending at least one EW and it looks like this might be the one. It would be disrespectful not to.

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into the immense catalog of cold war knowledge.

LChanin
Recruit

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 09:03:51 am »

Definitely saddened about the news.  This event was exactly what we were looking for but lacking up here in Canada.  Attending over the past three years has been great and it's now the only event that we attend in a year for exactly the reasons listed above. 

I've learned a ton by attending and best of all met a lot of great people and made a lot of great friends.  Can't wait for Eastwind 8 but it'll be bitter sweet.
Stagg
Global Moderator

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 09:35:29 am »

This has been several years coming.   
The end of EW will be a bummer for about 2 days here in KC.... then we will move on to the next project(s).

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
juansinanos
Might know something...

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:49:41 am »

I'm sorry to hear that EW 8 will be the last event.  I hope that someone or some group, after seeing that it is possible, will take up that torch and continue this awesome annual cold war reenacting tradition.
Aladdin
Recruit

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 11:17:31 am »

I'm so glad I got to make it to EW 7, and hopefully I'll be able to make it next year.  I'm still going to keep my gear though, with the hopes somebody will run a Soviet Afghan, Chechnya, Constitutional Crisis, or any other event I could use my gear at.
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 11:22:16 am »

I would imagine that some folks may fill the gap to an extent - maybe not a 9 day long event but something in or near the genre.

I cannot say what I will be doing after EW8 for sure.   EW has been around for so long that I really have to think about the next thing that I will occupy my time with.

So it is likely that I will assist with other events if they were to come about.  For sure I will have my vehicles for some time and intend to have fun with them while I can.
nukeduster
Might know something...

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:14 pm »

This saddens me immensely. We've talked about wanting to host a cold-war era fictional game here in AZ for a while now, something along the lines of perhaps the USSR & China invading the USA in a surprise attack and the US forces and civilians have to mount counter-attacks to the forces. It's still in alpha, but it's something a number of us have talked about for a while and this definitely lights a fire under my ass to get things rolling for it for end of 2015 or 2016.

I'll definitely be at EW8 for the entire time, I already have the time off, and I look forward to getting to be BW one last time.

Heres to the finishing off with the best EW ever, and best of luck in your and everyone's future endeavours.
Chief17
Might know something...

Spring Break in Oklahoma, not Florida

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 07:42:16 pm »

Sad to learn this will be the last event. I've been looking forward to attending East Wind since I first learned of this event. I planned to attend once I graduated college but looks like I'll have to step up my preparations. I have 95% of the gear and I should be set money wise (*knock on wood), just need to get out of class and get around my schools policy on airsoft guns. I'll do everything I can to make it to the this years event and meet everyone. May this East Wind be the best event in history with or without me.

"I have them right where I want them, surrounded from the inside"
My grandparents pretty much banged Europe, with a layover in Cuba.
"Lets share. You take the grenade, I'll take the pin"
EW VIII: 3rd Squad, Fire Team
Ibach
Recruit

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 08:14:45 am »

Darn, I won't be able to make it as I won't be old enough. I actually had 97% of the kit also. I hope that you all have fun and that someone else steps in to make something like this amazing event.
eightball
You might want to listen up...

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 09:25:05 am »

I'm glad I made the plunge when I did.  Brett and Allan, you two created an event that has surpassed any airsoft scenario I've heard of, or been to.   I can't wait until the next one, and I'm happy I've been a part of two so far.

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

Everybody wants to be special (forces)
reaper39
Might know something...

"DUCIMUS" - 2 Can Inf Bn

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 09:45:30 am »

Having been to this event for the last 3 years and this one coming, I wanted to say that you guys have put together the greatest event whether it is an airsoft or living history event. You created an escape for all from life as we know it and placed us in a time where the only things that mattered were those that were in the camp with you, the tent beside you, and the man in the foxhole with you.

We have forged friendships that span borders. We have realized that there is something that can bring all walks of life and backgrounds together and provide things that have been missing in lives. It will be a bitter sweet event knowing that this is the last one. I know that it is an undertaking of epic proportions and I wish that I could have been there from the beginning. We will make this the best one yet one final tour in the Cold War theatre of operations. Much like every combat tour they eventually have to put arms down and wait for the next one.

Platoon Commander, 1st Pl C Coy
 Loyal Alberta Light Infantry

MCpl Friesen - EW5 Can Con 2 I/C
MCpl Friesen - EW6 Can Con 2 I/C
Sgt Friesen - EW7 Sniper Det Commander
ComradeHX

Banned from EU; but not from hearts of people.

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 01:45:53 pm »

Darn, I won't be able to make it as I won't be old enough. I actually had 97% of the kit also. I hope that you all have fun and that someone else steps in to make something like this amazing event.
Admin can make exceptions for age.

Not one step back; behind you is the People and Zampolit's machinegun.
Ibach
Recruit

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 03:35:03 pm »

Admin can make exceptions for age.
I'm 15 and won't be 16 until April could they make an exception for that, or if a parent came?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: