Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Consolidated Story of M-37 #5804  (Read 1972 times)
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: July 05, 2014, 07:43:14 am »

M-37 #5804 came to us in an odd way.  Brett needed a replacement engine for the BTR-152 and having been thus far satisfied with the T-145 Dodge engine in the BTR-40 we sort of passively started looking for another one to repower the 152 with.   This makes sense on many levels, obviously, common parts and maintenance but also since both vehicles were gifted to the Israeli Army at one point in their lives and we know the Israelis were  quite fond of Dodge-a-fying captured Warsaw Pact vehicles. 

Once it showed up at Dave's place we took no time at all in getting the motor running and test driving it all over Dave's place much to the dismay of Dave's wife who was not so fond of all of us driving over everything and crashing through the woods/creek with it.    For such a basic and non-descrypt truck, it proved to be wildly fun to drive and it was soon determined that this truck still had plenty of life left in it and it really should rise again with a new drive train in it.  Trucker was nominated as it's new owner. 

Out with the original engine. 

From there, 5804 spent plenty of time sitting around providing a nice roost for Dave's chickens and killing parts of Daves yard for a few years. 

Then, the time finally came for 5804 to hit the road! 

Well, sort of...  In fact, it just got moved over to Dave's new place where it could kill weeds in his pasture for a week or two before Trucker could finally come get it. 

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 09:57:37 am »

Mark the 4th of July 2014 down on your calendars kids!  It shall be noted that on this day work actually started on 5804.  Up until this point, all things we had done to it were being done TO it not FOR it.  Now we are actually working on getting this guy rolling.  

First we had to go get it of course.  No easy task since Trucker decided that we should flat tow this fella in order to save the considerable amount of time/hassle to go get Brett's truck.  

The plan was to go to Dave's pull the hubs and axles in order to free the drive train from rotating then tug it to my place (about 50 miles).  Once here, we planned to pop the hubs all apart, check things over and repack the bearings for the several hundred mile trip east to St Louis.  

Time to make use of the fancy schmancy axle clamps!  For once in our damn lives, they actually fit and worked well!  

Next problem is that several of 5804s tires were quite poor.  This one here for instance, you could pretty much see the air inside it...  

No problem, we'll just pop these really nice tires on as an interim step!   Note also super cool interim dust covers to keep gritty grit grit out of the bearings for the ride over.  Blue paper shop towels to the rescue.  Gosh those sure are nice tires...  I wonder where they came from?      

Nowhere!  Mind your own business!   That will teach Stagg to leave his trailer parked in shady neighborhoods...  

Front interim dust covers were made from other "local sources".  

All set to go we hitched up Truckers F-150 for the ride to my place.  

It got here uneventfully and we unclipped it out in the street and had 6001 do it's rendition of the little engine that could tugging it up the driveway.   One rear brake had started dragging and it was a tough pull.   Trucker set to work on it with the pressure washer knocking decades of grime and crap off of it.  

First brake drum off from the right rear which had been dragging.   Ewww...   Quite full of river sand looking crap.  

But wait, that's not all!   Looks like the size of the hills determines the degree of hillbillyness.  This truck is from Colorado where apparently, you lock in your wheel bearing adjustments with a stick welder....   That's just...  Amazing...  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:59:37 am by aswayze » Logged
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:05:53 am »

Quick detour to Pick N Pull to do some recon. 

The Mercedes OM-617 5 cylinder turbo diesel engine is widely regarded as the most reliable engine ever built.  Additionally, it's about the right power range and weight to replace the T-145 and would give an additional 1000 rpm of running range which would help the M37 get down the road a little faster.  Coupled with a 5 speed transmission, we could be looking at reasonable self deployment speeds even.   Happens that there is an outfit that makes adapter kits that allow the fitting of the 617 to a variety of transmissions now too. 

Hmm, lets see how it measures out.   
Stagg
Global Moderator

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:41:28 am »

That sort out your missing radiator problems too?

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 10:43:19 am »

Not instantly... 

Still need to come up with something. 
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:57:17 pm »

Mike cranking away on the now MUCH cleaner brake assembly.  Pretty much everything here was frozen hard as a carp so it's mostly pulled off for the trip now.  

Metal caps for the rear made by me out of stainless steel.  

Caps for the front made by Hoober out of wood (a bit more complex since they had to clear the axles)

Stopped off at Swap and Shop to look for some tools and a larger ball for Mikes combo pintle/ball hitch thingy to get rid of some slop.  No great balls to be found but I did find this ridiculously high class German made 110V corded impact wrench for $15.   I actually had to convince Mike he needed it...  He can be a little dense sometimes...

Battery bay all washed out.  Seriously, there was probably 1 1/2 inches of caked on mud in there...

Bed 99% cleared out.   Junky tank off to the scrap guy and most of the silly metal bits removed.  (Sorry Brett, the tank was absolute crap, I would not store used horse urine in that thing)

Then of course instantly filled right back up with junk.  

Got it all fixed up and ready for the road.
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:02:55 pm »

That is still a pretty clean looking M37, especially a battery box used to store mud.

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 08:14:49 pm »

You should have seen what was under the drivers seat.  I swear, it was 15+ pounds of goat poop.   I am not sure how it got there, but that was TOTALLY goat poop. 

Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 09:52:39 pm »

That is a classy hard top. Sliding glass even!

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:42:21 am »

Yep, that Deuce-like hardtop is one of the reasons that truck is so nice looking.

tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:45:25 am »

The previous owners actually used that truck as a tractor for a while - pulling a harrow and who knows what else through the fields.

So being filled with mud and goat poop - sounds about right.
eightball
You might want to listen up...

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 06:17:15 pm »

Shameless bump of this topic because there are some great photos of this truck.

Long last project update: I bought this thing from Brett for some reason, enginless and sitting around for a few more years but the frame and body are still sound enough to justify putting the work in (I mean, curfmans mutt came in two pieces so the "too far gone" bar was set pretty low)

Work has already started on restoring this girl and we think she'll have a lot of life left to putt around town, hit the trails, and give the classic car owners heart attacks as I weasel it in a crowded local car show. 

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

Everybody wants to be special (forces)
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 04:09:23 pm »

Oh, really?

Pictures or it didn't happen.  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: