Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WARPAC Commander's AAR EW7  (Read 15881 times)
Stagg
Global Moderator
Knows what he's talking about...

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:42 pm »

MOT-SHUTZEN (Motor Rifle) Troops:

This year the Mot-Shutzen were tasked with being a large force, capable of bringing decisive combat power to bear on the enemy.  The BTR-152 did not make an appearance this year. So the MS troops were carried in the Romur cargo truck, and a GAZ69.  Of the two trucks the Romur was the only reliable vehicle.

Performance on the field was poor by Eastwind standards.  We had a lot of new people, with a quiet leader, and to few people to do the job correctly.
Fairly late into the planning process I decided to divide the group, which caused some confusion as well.
In camp it was rare for me to see the Mot Shutzen leave for a mission on time.
In the field I could not have asked for more.  Based on physical limits such as asthma, and age; or just being new to a combat environment.

Some excellent lessons were learned, and applied late in the week.   Such as leaving the truck(s) behind, and walking into the combat zone.
Taking your time when travelling.  Movement on the battlefield is slow and will continue to be a slow process.... movement in the camp however had better speed UP!

Next year I anticipate good things, because the caliber of people who showed up and put their shoulder to the wheel this year was excellent!  
Zepeda I hope to see you back next year as a leader.  You did an outstanding job, in a tough position.

As with the other groups, I will not get into detail right here, nor will I name every person who showed up.
I intended to send sections on missions based on company needs.  If the members of that section were unqualified to accomplish the mission then it might fail, but that that would not stop me from sending them.

I knew that you guys were green, and not quite ready for the mission that were coming your way.  
More importantly, I saw you go on those missions!  Do them, and bloody the enemy!  

Next year will do more of the same.  The difference between pushing the enemy off the objective and being repulsed is so small that we almost made it several times.  
We need to continue to improve our skills, because in the future the Mot-Shutzen can and should be a group that the enemy avoids.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:54:17 am by Stagg » Logged

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 05:16:35 pm »

SOVIET RECON:

After staring at this computer screen all afternoon, Soviet Recon will get typed up when my eyes uncross. Wink

Update:  see below.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:21:29 am by Stagg » Logged

tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 05:33:08 pm »

Note on the radios not working thing - that turned out to mostly be a case of the R-159s being a 50khz band and the RF-10s being a 25khz band.

Once we switched to an RF-10 in the HQ commo shelter we had much less problems.

While the R-159s do work with the RF-10s some - there is always a chance to get broken transmissions (apparently except when closer and using a long wire)

We need to investigate how a long wire on the R-159 is effective as an omni-directional antenna since that is COMPLETELY counter-intuitive and should not happen.

I have already begun the search for the other parts of the RF-10 to set up a better base station configuration using them.
Cardz
East Wind II East Bloc Planning Staff
Might know something...

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »

This year's event, more than last year's, made me realize how rusty I am when it comes to being a Soviet Officer. Some of it is lack of experience, some of it is unfamiliarity with the post Eastwind 1/pre-Eastwind way of doing things. I am always willing to try harder and look forward to improving my skills in the years to come.

In a lot of ways, each Eastwind is a slightly different event, a more evolved version of the previous year. If you don't follow along close enough with the changes made over the course of the build up, you get a little lost during the actual event.

My personal resolution is to attend more training events between now and the next Eastwind.

Overall, I think we all did a good job. There is always room for improvement and sometimes it seems like just when things are starting to click, the event is over.

-Matt C.-
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 08:05:05 pm »

This year's event, more than last year's, made me realize how rusty I am when it comes to being a Soviet Officer. Some of it is lack of experience, some of it is unfamiliarity with the post Eastwind 1/pre-Eastwind way of doing things. I am always willing to try harder and look forward to improving my skills in the years to come.

In a lot of ways, each Eastwind is a slightly different event, a more evolved version of the previous year. If you don't follow along close enough with the changes made over the course of the build up, you get a little lost during the actual event.

My personal resolution is to attend more training events between now and the next Eastwind.

Overall, I think we all did a good job. There is always room for improvement and sometimes it seems like just when things are starting to click, the event is over.

-Matt C.-

Matt,
There is a reason I started being a bastard to people via email and phone back in JANUARY. 
Looks like you just figured it out.  Three weeks too late.

....Now I'm being a dick on the forums too Angry

Cardz
East Wind II East Bloc Planning Staff
Might know something...

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 06:24:45 pm »

I'm well aware of my shortcomings. There is a mindset you need to have in order to do well at Eastwind. My default mindset isn't quite up to snuff, so to speak. I like to think of myself as a hard worker. Of course, hard work doesn't always do the trick. For a lot of the skills we practice at Eastwind it takes a lot of repetition to get right. Practice makes perfect and all that. What I envisioned for Eastwind VII was a fast paced, linear event that would build up over the course of 9 days. In the beginning we had a lot of administrative, camp building type work to do and it slowed us down and wore us out prematurely. We ended up doing a lot of that "real world" stuff intermingled with simulated operations. The big problem I had this year was going back and forth between Operations Officer Cardz and real life Cardz. Each one is slightly different, with different concerns and focus.

To improve my performance in the future I would like to be tasked with things I have some real life grasp of. Some skills can be learned and even mastered if one is ambitious and devoted enough. Some skills require real world experience to even be able to simulate somewhat correctly. My task between now and the next Eastwind is to find those skills I've already learned and improve upon them. Things like Mission Order conception and writing, Land Navigation, Wired and Radio communication, and familiarity with all the current equipment we use, including vehicles.

I am sorry I missed the Comms class in January. Not having been to one in years definitely put me on the outskirts of current knowledge.

So, more practice, better Cardz.

Thanks,
-Matt C.-
Satans_pilgrim
Recruit

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 12:09:51 am »

I feel like I was in a similar boat as Cardz. Willing to help out with anything and everything. Although I thought I was going to be taught how to do my job. I was incorrect. After talking to several of the officers and section leaders before the event to try and get a grasp on what I was going to do, I crammed soviet recon tactics and various articles Stag gave me. That helped absolutely nothing. I needed to be more versed in maps, interrogation, debriefing and captured intel. Now that I know what is actually expected from the job, I'm sure I could do better next time. I also realize I was late to the event, so how effective I was going to be at the intel job was in question. I guess if I was there at the beginning of the week Stag could have helped explain more. Either way, I still had fun taking a group of rag tags on an ambush. I've done that for years, prolly the best ambush I've ever been a part of.
Mordarski J.A.
You might want to listen up...

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 07:18:10 am »

...So, more practice, better Cardz...

This is the best quote I have heard regarding post-East Wind.

Josh Mordarski
South Manitoba Rifles

"We are not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department.  We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people." - Gen. (Ret'd) Rick Hillier, OC, CMM, MSC, CD

EW5 - Rfn
EW6 - RadOp
EW7 - RadOp
EW8 - RadOp
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 07:47:19 am »

SOVIET RECON REPORT:

The PLAN:

Soviet Recon was planned to divide into two sections, and perform deep reconnaissance, 300-800 meters behind the border.   They planned to conduct at least one 24 hr patrol to establish enemy patterns, and possibly repeat that mission if the enemy shifted his routes enough.

Soviet Recon would also perform detailed recon on targets found by the Grenzers.  Providing real time info for Mot-Shutzen units.  Mot-Shutzen would then attack and destroy the target, while the Soviets provided secuirty, or when needed (most of the time) provide extra muscle to subdue the enemy position.

What Really happened.  PERFORMANCE:

On Monday the war broke wide open. We were on the defensive and NATO was the aggressor in our area.  I used the Soviets for local recon missions because we were not yet familiar with the field, and needed to know where NATO was headed. 
We were limited to 400m north of the border, which screwed up our plans badly.  It prevented our Soviets from moving to the preferred position in the North (about 600m.)   So I was forced to chase NATO around our side of the field  with our units.
Being built as a recon unit (4-5 soldiers) they did not have enough combat power to challenge enemy units.

Every unit and person took too long to get ready for missions and leave.  Most of our missions were short duration, and only required personal kit.  Yet I had to plan a 30 minute gear-prep time for even the most basic mission.

We used trucks to reduce the walking distance for our units, often as not this was a significant risk, and actually took longer than just walking. 

Information brought back was generally good, but often "dated."  We routinely received reports that were 20 minutes or more old.  Often these reports arrived, after a different unit deeper into our own lines had already seen and reported the contact.

Despite good attempts, our Recon troops were detected often.  This may be due to the nature of the missions we sent them on, or how they were done.

ISSUES:

Stuff to fix for next year. 

-Speed getting ready for missions can be faster with no effort!  I expect people to be ready to go on a walking mission for 4-6 hour duration, and be able to leave within 10 minutes!  This is on everyone, to get their shit wired tight.

-  Do the plan!  I scrapped the  long distance/duration mission.  Next year this needs to happen.  It is the only way to figure out what the enemy is doing.  This mission needs to happen early!  Whoever the commander is next year needs to make this happen.  If he doesn't then the Soviet Leader needs to pester the commander until he does.

-Section leaders and RTOs need to send reports to Company faster.  Radio operators need to know how to send a message even when the signal is poor!  Time is wildly important on this stuff.

Sustains for this year:

Professional work!  I was seriously impressed by the Soviet Recon sections this year.
You guys stayed out longer, walked farther, and made it to every position I sent you.

Keep improving, and never stop, but I would be glad to work with you anytime.

Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:03 am »

After nearly a year of forgetting, I would like to reopen this topic.

Rereading it today, I notice that the things mentioned here are not always what I remember, or exactly what I think now.
The lessons learned from one year should improve the next.

So here are a few bits that pop into my head, and things that I should have said back then but didn't for some reason.

Smaller units for DUTY rotations.  For example splitting up the MottShutzen into two smaller groups would have allowed for better duty rotations.  This year the Soviets are the big group.  Based on last years problem of not having enough units to rotate, I would like to purpose an idea.
Make the 11 of them into Three groups....  No they do not have to always be so small.
But the ability to send out two 4 man groups, with an other group in reserve would be much better than no reserve group.
The ability to ALWAYS have a small unit on standby to respond to Grenzer-like STOLI reports would allow at least some response to enemy movement.  Even if it is just recon/watching.

Food.  We need, more than ever, food for the field.  I know people are packing their own.  Hopefully they bring some food that does not require cooking/long preparation.  Living as a EB soldier in the field is 90% better than living as a soldier in tents back at camp.  It also gives the command/duty section something to do when a water/resupply mission happens (Or a cake mission).

I may have come down heavy on Cardz and Cullen.  Still love you guys.  Make sure Cullen gets out into the field, that guy has a gift for finding the enemy and shooting them in style.

Mission orders...got to have 'em.  I wish I had done more to brief every mission going out WITH a correct Mission Order.  I know time is short, and always will be.  But this really makes the event better.   It increases people's immersion, and it ensures people are informed about their mission.

24hr missions.  I really wanted to do this, and so did everyone else.  I had the Soviet troops all keyed up for it.... and it got squashed by our limit of advance.  My failing here was not to reset and send them out somewhere else.  Again smaller teams would allow this to happen more easily, without sending every single person into the field.

Which leads to the final point.  People need to bring a sleeping system, that can be used outside.  Outside, includes, cold, wet, bumpy, and not covered by a tent or house.   They also should think about how to carry it, whatever it is.  I know its doable, I've done it.  Millions of real EB troops have done it with even less. 
If you can not stay in the woods overnight, then you are missing out on MORE than half of EW!  This is your last one, Get Some!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:28:09 am by Stagg » Logged

tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 09:28:55 am »

Yep - small teams are how it will be this year.

This year like most of the others - we do not have the numbers to stand toe to toe with NATO.

We will be going back to the successful tactics used at EW 5 - focusing on the Soviet Recon tactics.

There will be a lot more field time and longer missions - we will not be relying on vehicles as much this year and instead small units on foot doing the most work.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: