Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Praktica fotos  (Read 3967 times)
KevinH
You might want to listen up...

« on: March 19, 2014, 05:21:43 pm »

0KF5589-R1-006-1A by k_hund59, on Flickr

All my photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24378591@N08/sets/72157642617005553/

The first 7 were actually left on a roll from last year. Many are overexposed because I still haven't changed my light meter battery since Eastwind last year, but many still turned out well. Not quite the variety as last year, but hopefully my VHS footage should make up for that once I can get over to my dad's and convert it.

Dies ist unser Land.
Red_Ivan
Might know something...

East German alias- Max Ackermann

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:53:54 pm »

Ausgezeichnet Kevin! How many rolls did you shoot this year?

“If you start throwing hedgehogs under me, I shall throw a couple of porcupines under you.”
-Nikita Khrushchev, November 7, 1963.
Coop
Knows what he's talking about...

We all live in a yellow UAZ...

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:14 pm »

Good stuff!

The slight underexposure ages them nicely, actually!

- Куперов

OP: EW-IV - Ef. - 1SEC RTO
OP: EW-V - Jr. Lt. - XO
OP: EW-VI - Sr. Lt. - CO
OP: EW-VII - Sr. Lt. - HQ RTO
OP: EW-VIII - Capt. - Dacha in Urals
OP: EW-VIIII - Maj. - Desk in Moscow
OP: EW-VIIIII - Lt. Col. - CO Space Forces
OP: EW-VIIIIII - Marshal of the Soviet Union
Rob Bye
Might know something...

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »

The slight underexposure ages them nicely, actually!

Surely you meant overexposed, and by at least a full stop, so it's not all that slight.  Smiley

That's how it goes with some older camera models, the light sensor begins to fail with age. Even metering off of a grey card can lead to faulty exposures, but the "sunny 16 rule" still applies.

I salute the authenticity of using a Praktica, though. I have a period correct Canon F-1 I'd like to bring next year.

KevinH

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:57:00 pm »

Many are overexposed because I still haven't changed my light meter battery since Eastwind last year, but many still turned out well.

Last year I had a failing light meter battery, worked 50% of the time. This year that battery had gone completely dead and I neglected to change it because I am one lazy mofo. So I had to guess 100% of the photos exposures.

@Ian: I only shot about a roll and a quarter this year.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:59:04 pm by KevinH » Logged

Dies ist unser Land.
Vrakos

Hauptmann Fabelhaft

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:03:10 pm »

This picture is great in so many ways...

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." - Winston Churchill

OP: EW-VII  - Soldat (RTO) - Grenztruppen der DDR
OP: EW-VIII - Soldat (RTO) - Grenztruppen der DDR
misha
Starshina

Can I get a picture?

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:36 pm »

Many are overexposed because I still haven't changed my light meter battery since Eastwind last year, but many still turned out well.

Last year I had a failing light meter battery, worked 50% of the time. This year that battery had gone completely dead and I neglected to change it because I am one lazy mofo. So I had to guess 100% of the photos exposures.

Haha...I gave Ready a meter reading one time during the shooting at the cross cultural...he was like..."Oh it has a meter in it..." I was like..."Dude, NEVER trust a meter that old..." Smiley Actually, I don't trust any in camera meter...My D700's yes, because I know where their sweet spot is, but if Im doing studio work, I still mike lighting on a meter, and ANY film camera I use a meter on.  Even my pro film stuff...for instance, my F3, it regularly over exposes a 1/3 of a stop...sometimes...Othertimes, not so much...My Zeiss Ikon Super BC...The selenium in the meter is shot...so I have to meter it all the time.

Fight for something, but don't die for nothing...
Tango
Might know something...

Californian SSR

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:28:05 am »

Really awesome pictures! Looking forward to the VHS footage.  Grin

Рядово́й Богомолюк
Private Bogomolyuk

Awaiting deployment

Warpac stuff for sale
NATO stuff for sale
KevinH

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 08:01:36 am »

Haha...I gave Ready a meter reading one time during the shooting at the cross cultural...he was like..."Oh it has a meter in it..." I was like..."Dude, NEVER trust a meter that old..." Smiley Actually, I don't trust any in camera meter...My D700's yes, because I know where their sweet spot is, but if Im doing studio work, I still mike lighting on a meter, and ANY film camera I use a meter on.  Even my pro film stuff...for instance, my F3, it regularly over exposes a 1/3 of a stop...sometimes...Othertimes, not so much...My Zeiss Ikon Super BC...The selenium in the meter is shot...so I have to meter it all the time.

I've never met an integrated meter that couldn't at least get me in the general neighborhood of where I wanted to be. I really just use it as reassurance that I'm not way off. The meter in my praktica, when it has a battery, works good enough. Assuming its not completely shot, I'd bet Ready's works "good enough" too. He didn't have a battery in his so we may never know, but my point is especially for someone who is picking up a full manual camera for the first time and doesn't know what to expect, integrated meters can be very useful.

If I was out there just to take photos, I'd have a separate meter, but as I've said before, I'm portraying a grenzer first and foremost and the camera, and photos are gravy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:21:51 am by KevinH » Logged

Dies ist unser Land.
misha
Starshina

Can I get a picture?

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:43:40 pm »

True to all of that with meters.  I'm so heart broken that the selenium burned out in my ZEISS IKON...because to that point, it was a SAWEET camera...Although, it still is, you just need a meter...or you have to roll with ye olde "sunny 16" method.

I loved the fact that ya'll were working with Prakticas...Made for some really nice convincing photos.  To be shown soon!

Fight for something, but don't die for nothing...
Rob Bye
Might know something...

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:21 am »

I thought of you guys the other day when I saw a Zenit body and lens (58mm?) selling for only $10.

Hey Misha, I'm guessing you were never a member of the "39th frame" club? I saw a couple of images of you loading a film camera, with the roll already on the rewind spool. I always developed my own film, so I always loaded it the other way: The film tab, just barely on the take-up spool, turn out the darkroom lights, then pull the film across the shutter plane, and drop the cartridge onto the rewind spool. That way, I could squeeze 39 frames out of a 36 exposure roll. I'm sure you must've tried that a few times...
KevinH

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »

I just found another roll of film in the bottom of one of my assault packs. So there will be more photos to come! I thought I was missing some photos...  Roll Eyes

Dies ist unser Land.
KevinH

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 03:52:16 pm »

More photos have been added: https://www.flickr.com/photos/24378591@N08/sets/72157642617005553/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:12:28 pm by KevinH » Logged

Dies ist unser Land.
Coop

We all live in a yellow UAZ...

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 04:03:36 pm »

Very nice!  Mind if I put 'em on facebook?  (I don't recall if I asked, or if you said yes, lol... SO MANY PHOTOS!)

- Куперов

OP: EW-IV - Ef. - 1SEC RTO
OP: EW-V - Jr. Lt. - XO
OP: EW-VI - Sr. Lt. - CO
OP: EW-VII - Sr. Lt. - HQ RTO
OP: EW-VIII - Capt. - Dacha in Urals
OP: EW-VIIII - Maj. - Desk in Moscow
OP: EW-VIIIII - Lt. Col. - CO Space Forces
OP: EW-VIIIIII - Marshal of the Soviet Union
KevinH

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 04:06:35 pm »

Very nice!  Mind if I put 'em on facebook?  (I don't recall if I asked, or if you said yes, lol... SO MANY PHOTOS!)

Sure, go right ahead! Do you need the files or something? (You can see I am rather facebook illiterate)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:09:23 pm by KevinH » Logged

Dies ist unser Land.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: