Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The story of Rover  (Read 20111 times)
Mercy
Global Moderator
Knows what he's talking about...

Army # 24172366

« on: March 19, 2014, 06:02:06 am »

So the rover was banged up in Customs jail while we were at EW but in typical Government fashion was released just in time for me to be cross-eyed tired driving to Houston to fetch it. I dragged along a bottle of ether and jumper cables, happily neither of which was needed.   And so without further ado...

In port:

Cranked right up first time and I drove it right onto the trailer with working steering, brakes...the lot!  But first had to find a local cooter with TWIC card since my importer guy didn't think that making an appointment to pick up the vehicle was part of his fee.  I immensly enjoyed sitting around the hood calling 500 numbers trying to get someone to answer for two hours.

Took the ferry from Galveston to avoid Houston rush hour traffic:

Safely home late last night.

...and so begins the story of Rover which will not be nearly as impressive as uncrushing a mutt.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:12:01 am by Mercy » Logged

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:23:59 am »

Horray! 

Now get some sleep... 

Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 06:45:51 am »

I have the kick off of the Advance Tacops rewrite this week...so endless meetings with manager types that have degrees in adult education but have never carried guns for a living.  Believe me I'll be getting plenty of sleep in these meetings.  Smiley

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
d.thomas

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 07:03:43 am »

is it ffr? (12 volt or 24 volt)? either ways ITS SWEET! gona keep that paint or something else?

Dave Thomas -tamer of the ferret - keeper of ELMO
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:25:52 am »

It's not FFR so 12v.  The paint looks to be the original just a bit worse for wear.  It has 79000 original miles on it and we'll be starting from the tires up sealing and rust proofing.  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:20:55 am by Mercy » Logged

dirtpro

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 08:45:37 am »

That is awesome Smiley

Oklahoma Badlands Regulator

www.themilsimperspective.com
R.Chappell

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:29:43 am »

Yes!  Cheesy

Prussian Field Marshall Von Moltke over a hundred years ago commented: “The British Army has some of the best training manuals in the world; thank goodness they don’t read them!”
Spice
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 12:01:48 pm »

Nice! If I ever get that Pinzgauer, I'll loan it out to you guys.

315th Radio Relay Company (Los Angeles Contingent)
David

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »

That's a beauty!!!

Multifuel: Burns going in, whistles coming out.
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 05:21:45 pm »

My nephew came over this evening and we clattered all around the neighborhood mocking lesser vehicles while he came to grips with driving on the correct side of a vehicle.   Grin

Kolt1911
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 06:03:57 pm »

And you didn't get a shot of it being driven on the beach? Heresy!
Fredde
Might know something...

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 08:42:59 am »

you should have stopped by colonel bubbies in Galveston and loaded the rover with DPM and web gear and other lovely MOD goodies
 another time i guess

Every problem can be solved with the careful application of explosives

We kill foreigners so you don't have too
Fredde
Might know something...

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:45:58 am »

whats sad is i know that customs parking lot where all the construction equipment is you see a lot of Apaches going to the UAE going out through there

love the rover no more open top mutt rides for you 

Every problem can be solved with the careful application of explosives

We kill foreigners so you don't have too
Doorman

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:29 am »

Great News!   I am glad to see you have figured out the errors of your ways and now decided to join the WARPAC side... I mean isnt that what every new NATO vehicle owner does, Curfman Stagg etc.

Awesome truck and really jealous, always wanted one.   I take it you sent it over on a RORO?

Berufssoldat des wahren Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik im Ostwind
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:14 am »

I would have liked a surplus run but it was a 16 hour day as it was. Sad

Yup RORO.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: