Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Easwind II footage  (Read 5079 times)
cannon fodder
Might know something...

« on: April 12, 2009, 10:56:50 am »

i was wondering if anyone had gotten any worthwhile footage from the event and if it was up on any websites?

STEVEN F@*#ING SEAGAL
K. Cox
Recruit

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:46:28 pm »

I've been patiently waiting myself. I saw that lots of footage was taken.

What gives?

Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the Thompson's Water Seal you can on it.
Houli
East Wind NATO Planning Staff
Might know something...

"I'm not paying more than $5 for a mug"

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:39:21 pm »

Video is larger in size, and therefore harder to distribute.

During the event, I discussed with a few people a method for distributing video, or posting video online.  Here are the questions.  Anybody have answers?

Regarding public posting, via YouTube for example:
1) (Directed toward Allen and Brett).  There are a lot of airsoft videos on youtube that suck because the video consists of foliage, and the audio consists of aeg fire.  These videos give a bad impression of the event that they attempt to show.  Thus, do the two of you have concerns about posting eastwind videos on youtube?  If so, I'm guessing we should come up with a system to determine if a video is "good" for the reputation of the event (and can therefore be safely posted on youtube).

Regarding video distribution among the event participants (or friends of friends who may be interested, etc):
2) How many KB, MB, GB are the videos that we (those of us who took video) have.  I have 20 short videos, all in .avi format, all taken with my 5 megapixel digital camera.  The shortest is 6 seconds, 10.6 megabytes and in size.  The longest is 60 seconds and 108 megabytes in size.  Most are in the 25 megabytes (15 seconds) to 50 megabytes (about 30 seconds) range.
Those of you who took videos, how large are your videos?

3) Does anybody know of an effective way to distribute files?
Ideas:
-File hosting website.  I've never used one.  Anybody use them frequently?  Anybody have any suggestions on which site to use?  What's the max file size for that website?  Does use of the website cost money?
-Video manager who handles everything(like abica for still photos), via USPS mailing of burnt CDs or DVDs to this person (instead of email / flickr like abica is using) for this person to compile and make master DVDs out of, and then mail out to everybody.  Volunteers?
Houli
Might know something...

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:46:43 pm »

Regarding (2)

A google search came up with these results
http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.filehosting.org/

This website ranks it's top 5 file hosting services, but I do not know how credible this website's reputation is.
http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

I'm going to post my videos tomorrow (maybe), and let everybody know where they can be acquired.  If this is successful, everybody else can follow suit.

cannon fodder
Might know something...

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:48:51 pm »

Video is larger in size, and therefore harder to distribute.

During the event, I discussed with a few people a method for distributing video, or posting video online.  Here are the questions.  Anybody have answers?

Regarding public posting, via YouTube for example:
1) (Directed toward Allen and Brett).  There are a lot of airsoft videos on youtube that suck because the video consists of foliage, and the audio consists of aeg fire.  These videos give a bad impression of the event that they attempt to show.  Thus, do the two of you have concerns about posting eastwind videos on youtube?  If so, I'm guessing we should come up with a system to determine if a video is "good" for the reputation of the event (and can therefore be safely posted on youtube).

Regarding video distribution among the event participants (or friends of friends who may be interested, etc):
2) How many KB, MB, GB are the videos that we (those of us who took video) have.  I have 20 short videos, all in .avi format, all taken with my 5 megapixel digital camera.  The shortest is 6 seconds, 10.6 megabytes and in size.  The longest is 60 seconds and 108 megabytes in size.  Most are in the 25 megabytes (15 seconds) to 50 megabytes (about 30 seconds) range.
Those of you who took videos, how large are your videos?

3) Does anybody know of an effective way to distribute files?
Ideas:
-File hosting website.  I've never used one.  Anybody use them frequently?  Anybody have any suggestions on which site to use?  What's the max file size for that website?  Does use of the website cost money?
-Video manager who handles everything(like abica for still photos), via USPS mailing of burnt CDs or DVDs to this person (instead of email / flickr like abica is using) for this person to compile and make master DVDs out of, and then mail out to everybody.  Volunteers?

you make a lot of good points.

i didn't mean to come across as wanting it right now. i was just wondering if there was any in order to show a few of my friends who are interested in going next year.

STEVEN F@*#ING SEAGAL
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:54:43 am »

Drew's video if high quality. It is not a matter of just posting it. It will take some editing and likely not use the actual audio since as Houli pointed out - it is not that great.

The intention is to edit some of his video and some pictures into actual promo/trailer style video. As for posting up - had not 100% looked into that so Houli's findings above will be looked at.

As for other's video - right now abica is the POC for "visual propaganda" for EW.
abica
East Wind II East Bloc Planning Staff

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:01:04 am »

Grin

I've only ventured once into the world of motion picture, on behalf of the mountain gorilla in the vid (really only intended for internal "ha-ha" consumption):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lM1z9akz54

That being said, I'd be happy to mess with some digicam videos and see what I can come up with.  I ought to be able to come up with a couple decent 1-2min pieces.  Once again, though, you'll be held hostage by my quality standards.  Tongue  Also, I'm not quite finished with photo editing, so videos won't go on the operating table until stills are finished and uploaded (2 wks till completion...organizing on the Flickr is done from work, processing at home) 

Yeah, 1-2 minutes.  Maybe a couple or three of that length out of 20 minutes of video...learned those numbers from my buddy who's a film prof- a lot of stuff ends up on the floor when you're attempting to put together a cohesive piece.  For example- you don't want to see the entire 5-minute truck ride in a video, nor the 5 minutes of someone's back crunching through the woods.  But there's probably 1-2 good 10 second cuts in each of those...load up, riding and someone says something funny, somebody almost falls out when the truck hits a bump, dismount...that kind of thing...telling a story.

I'd contend that movies, even little clips from digicams, are best served edited and with some sort of soundtrack.  I'd also contend that especially in the case of videos, "it's gotta show things in a good light and gotta look cool" is paramount.

If folks are game, we can work out how to send me the original digicam movie files (CD in the post?) and once the products are finished, we can collectively decide where to go from that point.

Distro...file hosting websites...never used 'em except for transferring zipped stuff between friends, and it's never been a 5 star experience. 

Conclusion- I'm not prepared to handle the distribution of all footage, but I will try to work some magic on it, and I will archive all of it in the EW media archive.  (When DVDs are made of "everything to date," I would throw 'em on there of course)

"Everything in war is very simple but the simplest thing is difficult"
~Carl von Clausewitz
misha
Starshina

Can I get a picture?

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:27:20 am »

I would think too, that for something that was "official EW promo reel" that we could embed it somewhere into the actual EW site.  Might cost to upgrade the hosting to cover the bandwidth consumption, but I think in the end it would be worth it.

Fight for something, but don't die for nothing...
abica
East Wind II East Bloc Planning Staff

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:45:28 am »

Yeah- for a quality promo reel, that would be a worthy expense I believe. 

I'm no video file expert, but a lot of times, avi/mpeg type video files are way bigger than they need to be (like the footage from Houli's digicam- I don't think that those clips should be that big, it can be slimmed down in the editing software).  I don't know the reason why, but that stuff can often be further compressed with zero loss in perceived quality.  Way over my grade.

As far as the "real deal" stuff though, that's for the guys in the know to figure of course.  I guess that a delivery system like Flash might be the most efficient (and good quality) solution for the promo?  Once again, I don't know, but maybe there's an open-source or cheap flash movie player available to embed in a site.  That would be much slicker than "click here for the .avi to open in a new window."

"Everything in war is very simple but the simplest thing is difficult"
~Carl von Clausewitz
Houli
Might know something...

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 06:25:18 pm »

Here's another option:  Post it on youtube, and embed it in the eastwind website.
Stagg
Global Moderator

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 01:47:57 pm »

In the short term.
I thought Flickr now hosts videos.  With a Pro account we should be able to put up a few.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
Dengar
Recruit

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 05:53:09 pm »

Have you guys considered making a movie as a promo video?

It may not actually be from one of the Eastwinds, but whats it matter if the video at least reflects what happens at Eastwind.

It may be staged but that way you can capture all of the angles and shots that you want.
misha
Starshina

Can I get a picture?

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:26:07 pm »

Chad,
We're working on that...however, it'd be best if it were footage actually FROM EWII, because that's going to tell the story of what you actually go through don't ya think?  Not to mention, nothing says "This is the event" like footage FROM the event.  We've often talked about "staging" some stuff though before to get the look/feel of things and get actual "shots" from a shotlist, but as with anything, there's more stuff to do and now enough time to do it in!
I'm really starting to get excited about the coming year, because I really see EW taking off to new heights than ever before!

Fight for something, but don't die for nothing...
Rapier
Might know something...

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:20:38 am »

I have several friends that are cinimatographers, I can talk to them about coming to EWIII todo some vids for us.  Most of them charge, even for friends, but I maw be able to call in some favors and convince them that it would make good demo reel.
Perez
Been here a while.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 12:55:48 pm »

I know I'm a little late getting in on this conversation but I also have allot of video we shot. not only from my camera but from norris helmet cam. Don't know the exact amount its in the 20+ range & thats after I deleted a bunch of the trashy ones.

As far as server or way to transfer it effeciently, I have a terrabyte server I would almost think of getting my FTP back up on. But that would only be limited to a selected few people like abica to have access to. Other wise it would get out of hand & I would have people on there downloading content 24/7.

The last time I did this, one thing led to another & one friend gave access to another friend & so on. next thing I know comcast was having a cow & turned off my broadband cause I was tying up so much bandwith.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:57:54 pm by Perez » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: