Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Summer of 2014 convoy to Colorado trip  (Read 9573 times)
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 12:02:09 pm »

that may be it, I am not sure I stopped much in Oregon...  Stupid ass no water havin state... 

Phoenix

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:02 pm »

that may be it, I am not sure I stopped much in Oregon...  Stupid ass no water havin state... 

Hahahaha!

Ben Miller
US Army 1st Squad, Bravo Fire Team Leader - EWV

"You can be the baddest kung fu ninja assault swat sniper commandos in the world and still fail if you can't get to the fight.

"I suspect Phoenix forever love is probably the creepy, dig through your trash cans kind... " -Allan Swayze
Mordarski J.A.
You might want to listen up...

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 08:26:35 pm »

This sounds like it'd be an amazing vacation!  I'll have to see what can be done regarding time off once the new fiscal year hits, but I think I get a third week of vacation next year.  The awesome thing will be if I have my Iltis by then, otherwise I'll have to consider flying down to the party Smiley

Josh Mordarski
South Manitoba Rifles

"We are not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department.  We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people." - Gen. (Ret'd) Rick Hillier, OC, CMM, MSC, CD

EW5 - Rfn
EW6 - RadOp
EW7 - RadOp
EW8 - RadOp
Abacus

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 11:33:59 pm »

Mosquitoes, like water and oxygen, are a lowlander thing.  We don't do mosquitoes here.  Higher you go, the fewer bugs.  One of the things I like about living here.

You may leave Eastwind, Eastwind doesn't leave you

EW V: UK Forces Squad Leader
EW VI:UK Forces Radioman
EW VII:NATO XO
EWVIII: Prime Minister
David

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:04:26 am »

Just proves that density altitude sucks for everything that flies.

Multifuel: Burns going in, whistles coming out.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 07:37:26 am »

I know exactly what Phoenix is talking about.   You would not believe the mosquitoes out further west.  I suspect the generally more arid climate combined with the tendency for water to, you know, sink into the ground rather than making everything a swamp probably does it more than altitude. 

Either way, good to hear we don't have to worry so much about getting sucked dry by the little devils. 

Hunterm16a2
Might know something...

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 11:20:20 am »

I know exactly what Phoenix is talking about.   You would not believe the mosquitoes out further west.  I suspect the generally more arid climate combined with the tendency for water to, you know, sink into the ground rather than making everything a swamp probably does it more than altitude. 

Either way, good to hear we don't have to worry so much about getting sucked dry by the little devils. 

This is true. Where I grew up in California was only about 2,500 feet above sea level, but we virtually never had mosquitoes because there was no standing water anywhere. The surface was just too dry for em... Stupid Oklahoma... Wink
David

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 12:42:23 pm »

I did some basic figuring for fuel. My deuce gets about 8.5 mpg with the current NDT's. The 11.00x20's will help a little. From Kansas City to San Juan County, CO is about 877 miles so we'll say 900 by the time we tour around some.

1,800 miles at 8.5 mpg is 212 gallons. If diesel is 3.75/gal that's $795. Plus oil for the IP and injector cleaner.

Never hurts to plan ahead. What is the milage of the MUTTs?

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 03:37:43 pm »

Probably want to plan on closer to an extra 100-200 miles for trail riding given that the Alpine Loop along is 70+ miles. 

Mutts should get about 15-17 MPG so figuring 2200 miles at 15 mpg we're looking at about 146 gallons of gas which is not too bad all things considered. 
Phoenix

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 11:32:18 pm »

Don't forget to calculate in the difference between highway economy and off road, slogging through the fun stuff economy.

Sounds like you guys are going to want some passengers either way...

Grin Grin Grin

Ben Miller

"You can be the baddest kung fu ninja assault swat sniper commandos in the world and still fail if you can't get to the fight.

"I suspect Phoenix forever love is probably the creepy, dig through your trash cans kind... " -Allan Swayze
Mordarski J.A.

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 04:58:46 pm »

Damnit....I knew I shouldn't have watched that video in its entirety....now I definitely have to make this trip!

For comparison to MUTTs, the Iltis gets about 6.1L/100km or 15mpg (towing) to 8.5L/100km or 20mpg (not towing).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:05:51 pm by Mordarski J.A. » Logged

Josh Mordarski
South Manitoba Rifles

"We are not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department.  We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people." - Gen. (Ret'd) Rick Hillier, OC, CMM, MSC, CD

EW5 - Rfn
EW6 - RadOp
EW7 - RadOp
EW8 - RadOp
David

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 05:00:22 pm »

We should definitely stop by Glen's in Salina to say hi.

Mordarski J.A.

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 06:17:30 am »

Sooooo...............................is it too early to ask if this is still an idea for this year?  The new fiscal year hit for me and I'm submitting dates for my vacation.  Pending dates and costs, I would definitely like to come along whether I'm a driver, co-driver, or backseat driver.

Josh Mordarski
South Manitoba Rifles

EW5 - Rfn
EW6 - RadOp
EW7 - RadOp
EW8 - RadOp
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 06:42:51 am »

More or less yes. 

Still need to get the vehicles back and start the fixing process but we're still basically on track for the idea.

6001 at least ought to be good to go, I suspect 6033 is pretty much right on the brink, 6037 needs some money thrown at it (transmission failure), I am not sure where 6007 is at on this trip.

Phoenix

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 12:46:16 am »

Did this thing happen? Pictures? Smiley

Ben Miller

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: