Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IFA Robur LO 2002a - DDR  (Read 23137 times)
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: June 17, 2013, 11:29:36 am »

Prepare to poop!

Poop!  

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/3874483043.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:16:57 pm by Doorman » Logged
Doorman

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:37:34 am »

I want it!!!!!

Find out more info please Alan or Brett.  I dont want to hit this guy with 20 people interested then he jacks up the price.   But if it is in decent restorable condition then I am game for sure and will most likely buy it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:11:12 pm by Doorman » Logged

Berufssoldat des wahren Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik im Ostwind
Doorman

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:04 pm »

I know, 3 color skeme and it comes with extra tires!

Berufssoldat des wahren Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik im Ostwind
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:45:23 pm »

OK - talked to the seller.

We are a go for Saturday morning pickup.  And he is closer to DDAY than thought - only about an hour away.

There is a leaking wheel cylinder so brakes will need some work (just like most every other WARPAC vehicle) but e-brake works well.

The tool boxes still have goodies like the snow chains...

This truck almost lived out the rest of its life as a feed truck on his cattle ranch!

So this is truly a rescue mission.

Doorman

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:02 pm »

Some pictures I have assembled of the suitcase body.   I love the stick shift... its like a modern sedan stick.  Hope these may help some Brett when you go look at it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dco506th/slideshow/Robur

http://www.klub-vm.eu/fotoalbum/technika-clenu/robur-4x4/

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:42:34 am »

Here's some info:

Technical data for the LO1801A:
Engine: 4 cylinder 4-stroke petrol engine, 70HP
Engine capacity: 3345 cm³
Gearbox: 5-speed, transfer box with high/low range
Fuel consumption: 32l/100 km (mixed use)
Speed: max. 80 km/h
Empty weight: 3450 kg (actually only 2750kg with fuel and driver - dropback version)
GVW: 5250 kg (5500kg for the LO2002A)
LxWxH: 5380 mm x 2250mm x 2735mm
Tyres: 10x20
Winch: 2500kg PTO
Load area: 300x200mm (NVA version)

Not sure how you get 70 HP out of an engine that big but I'll wager it has to do with small bore and long stroke so I wouldn't go pinwheeling this engine or you'll end up throwing a rod bearing like the BTR did.    

80KPH means you are looking at about 50 Mph on the road which about lines up with the max speed marks on the speedo for 5th gear.  Being an air cooled cab over, I'll wager it's pretty damn exciting in that cab once you get it rolling at that pace!    

Forgot these had PTO winches, that's damn handy!  

Converted over to our numbers, looks like it gets 7.3 miles per gallon so it's about on par with the Dodge carting a shelter. 

I wouldn't self deploy this one.  You'd arrive broke, deaf and late but at least you wouldn't have to listen to Han the whole way up. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:47:22 am by aswayze » Logged
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:09 am »

This model is the LO 2002.

But I cannot find full specs for it right now.

Doorman

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53:14 am »

These things are niffty to say the least, the cool factor is pretty high on these here in the states.  Looks like the cab body comes off rather easy but to work on the engine you take the front part off or the engine cowling off from the center of the cab.

The Roburs served in the NVA and with the Grenzetruppen.  Now we just need to figure out what we want to do with this one.   Troop transport (take box off and put bed on) or use the Box to build something inside it.  

One thing that Brett pointed out to me which I though was awesome was the standard 4-point jacks set into the vehicle itself.   So the truck as the ability to lift itself entirely off the ground.

http://nva.4mg.com/shoprobur.htm
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:23:29 pm by Doorman » Logged

tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:50 am »

I'm still trying to figure out the original use for the box.

Likely looked something like this at some point.

May know more once we get it and can poke around more.

That box was one of a few designs used - it could be anything from a commo truck to an ambulance - though Ambulances seemed to always have full sized doors on the back and a large side door on the passenger side - this one does not appear to
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:57:34 am »

Unless that box is completely unrestorable - it will stay on that truck.

This will be a Grenzer truck - allowing them to have a mobile command center that can also double as a mobile supply container.

So they can be pretty self sufficient and still have the infrastructure needed to operate.

KevinH
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 11:31:39 am »

Holy sh** frekin awesome!!! I SERIOUSLY just about coughed up the soup I was eating when I saw this! I am painfully envious of whoever is taking ownership! haha

I agree with Tascabe. The box should stay. It would make a pretty sweet operations command truck for the Grenztruppen and could double as a multi use vehicle. Throw a spot light on it and use it to watch the boarder at night, or put a loud speaker in it and use it as a propaganda truck... and you could still put people in it. It almost looks like a refrigeration truck. Is there a hatch in the top of the cab on this one? Could have been a civilian truck that this guy painted up to look NVA. The fact that he even has the thing would suggust that he must be crazy enough to do something like that.

I am still pretty tapped out, like going paycheck to paycheck.. But damn.. this is such a big deal to me. If you guys are desperate for cash, i might be able to find a way to make a small contribution.

Let us know, if you guys acquire it, when work starts on this thing. I'll be there!

Dies ist unser Land.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:53:54 am »

We have a troop truck already so I think the box should stay as well. 

Mobile HQ/operations vehicle sounds perfect.  Load it with water, rations, gear, fit it with a vehicle radio and a vehicle antenna, drop a little generator in it and it would  be BEYOND perfect.   

Just say to yourself:  What do we need to set up on day 1? 

And make sure this thing shows up with the answers to that installed inside it and it will be worth it's weight in gold. 

KevinH

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:44:28 pm »

A Robur 2002a LO though I am still working on the designation for the box body type.
"Robur LO 2002 A Kofferfahrzeug" as far as I can work out. Dunno if Kofferfahrzeug (Box vehicle) is the NVA terminology but it sounds legit.
http://www.fahrzeugbilder.de/name/einzelbild/number/31790/kategorie/militaerfahrzeuge~deutschland~nva-ddr-historisch.html

Also...

http://www.robur.de/smf/index.php?action=downloads;PHPSESSID=01gotvrt6mjaqeablbou3qpv26
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:04:37 pm by KevinH » Logged

Dies ist unser Land.
KevinH

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:17:19 am »

If this thing was making 75 bhp from the factory, it's probably only making 50 to 60 today. Unless it was taken really good care of. Might need a rebuild before you can really start thinking about induction and exhaust flow improvements. If, however, it's built anything like the West German cars i've owned, the engine should be solid as a rock and might not need much aside from a tune up to recover some lost ponies. Should be an interesting comparison in east vs west build quality. Guess you guys will find out soon enough.

Dies ist unser Land.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:29:22 am »

No you squeesa the juice!   

If it was making 75 at the factory, it is probably making 73.6 now and regardless, that's plenty, DO NOT screw with it or you'll just end up with a broken Robur.   More power just makes it easier to break things.  At 75 Hp, the engine probably does not have enough oomph to really tear anything up.  Unimogs and deuces are that way too.   

Don't worry about rebuilds unless you need to rebuild.   This thing's not going to have that many miles or hours on it, it's likely just fine. 

The only "improves" I would look at are maintenance related ones like better fuel filters, spin on oil filters, electronic ignition etc.   The rest of the hot rod shit can stay over in Europe with the pikey rednecks who are just looking for a cheap 4x4 to thrash. 

Unimog is designed to flex as are most mil trucks.  I am sure the Robur does to, just likely not to the same crazy degree the Unimog does.  Unimog is a tractor, Robur is also a tractor, just not as fancy. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: