Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: East German / DDR NVA Reference Books & Websites  (Read 6890 times)
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 02:52:00 pm »

Some good info there
Vrakos
You might want to listen up...

Hauptmann Fabelhaft

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 10:19:00 pm »

Does anyone have Handbuch fuer den Grenzdienst? I unfortunately passed up the chance to buy one for about 50euro at a fleamarket last year; seems they're worth about twice that.

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." - Winston Churchill

OP: EW-VII  - Soldat (RTO) - Grenztruppen der DDR
OP: EW-VIII - Soldat (RTO) - Grenztruppen der DDR
Doorman

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:05:09 pm »

I will be bringing all of my manuals.

Berufssoldat des wahren Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik im Ostwind
Red_Ivan
Might know something...

East German alias- Max Ackermann

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:42 pm »

On the topic of Manuals and such, i think I had mentioned it to Vrakos at the event, but rather than bringing the originals to EW if anyone has rare and useful texts copy them and bring those for some downtime reading.

I for one plan on copying my book "Von Sinn des Soldat Seins" (a Sense of being a soldier) which is a great little propaganda book all about the Grenzers and published in 1987 by the military publishing house with nice color photos in the back and a heart-warming short introduction from Genosse Erich himself. Its a good one. Haven't quite mastered complete understanding of the text, but I would like to translate it over the summer as a pet project.

“If you start throwing hedgehogs under me, I shall throw a couple of porcupines under you.”
-Nikita Khrushchev, November 7, 1963.
Vrakos

Hauptmann Fabelhaft

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 12:27:53 am »

On the topic of Manuals and such, i think I had mentioned it to Vrakos at the event, but rather than bringing the originals to EW if anyone has rare and useful texts copy them and bring those for some downtime reading.

I for one plan on copying my book "Von Sinn des Soldat Seins" (a Sense of being a soldier) which is a great little propaganda book all about the Grenzers and published in 1987 by the military publishing house with nice color photos in the back and a heart-warming short introduction from Genosse Erich himself. Its a good one. Haven't quite mastered complete understanding of the text, but I would like to translate it over the summer as a pet project.

I quite agree about making copies of the books, and also plan to translate both my Handbuch Militaerisches Grundwissen (Handbook of basic military knowledge) as well as my Handbuch fuer den Grenzdienst (Handbook for border service) into English before VIII.

On the topic of reference books, I believe you mentioned something at Eastwind about having a book depicting what were to have been the 1990-onward dress regulations of the NVA. That piqued my interest, and I'd be really interested in seeing the photos from that book, if you wouldn't mind making some scans or taking some pictures when you have some free time. I know I for one would really appreciate it.

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." - Winston Churchill

OP: EW-VII  - Soldat (RTO) - Grenztruppen der DDR
OP: EW-VIII - Soldat (RTO) - Grenztruppen der DDR
KevinH

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 01:57:59 pm »

Copies are a great idea. Especially if they can be distributed to those interested.

Here's one I will be receiving soon:

Handbuch fur nachrichtensoldaten
Be wary of how much you guys bite off to translate. The technical jargon and awkward sentence structuring in these hand books can be a nightmare. Online translators can be of help for individual words or parts of words, but 99% of the time they will totally f up the meaning of a sentence. So you may need to review your tenses, and make sure you review the passive voice. Everything is passiv in these books. I got frustrated with a Robur manual I was working on last year and haven't been able to get myself to pick it up again since. Tables, charts, graphs and captions are easy though. Wink
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:08:31 pm by KevinH » Logged

Dies ist unser Land.
Doorman

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 02:14:21 pm »

Oh just wait Kevin till you get the Grenzer book.   Over 700 pages of German and Grenzers

Berufssoldat des wahren Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik im Ostwind
KevinH

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 03:42:56 pm »

Oh just wait Kevin till you get the Grenzer book.   Over 700 pages of German and Grenzers

I am rather excited to see what's in there. Not only should that be a more interesting read than the dissasembly and assembly procedures of the Robur manual, but having the physical text in my hands will be quite a luxury.

Some manuals are a lot easier to read than others though. Your DF 7X40 manual wasn't bad at all.

I think what I may do, rather than trying to translate sections verbatim, is skim what I can understand, and write up   summary/highlight sheets in my own words.   Then I can go back and more exactly translate particularly interesting or useful parts if need be. Kind of hard to do it that way for the Robur manuals, but ill have to come up with a new approach for that too.

Dies ist unser Land.
APreston

EW 2013 or bust

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 11:54:25 pm »

I quite agree about making copies of the books, and also plan to translate both my Handbuch Militaerisches Grundwissen (Handbook of basic military knowledge) as well as my Handbuch fuer den Grenzdienst (Handbook for border service) into English before VIII.

On the topic of reference books, I believe you mentioned something at Eastwind about having a book depicting what were to have been the 1990-onward dress regulations of the NVA. That piqued my interest, and I'd be really interested in seeing the photos from that book, if you wouldn't mind making some scans or taking some pictures when you have some free time. I know I for one would really appreciate it.

What would be awesome, if someone were up to the task, is if these could be translated and posted here on the wiki that's been set up (I like that by the way, and it shows how long I've been absent here) as .pdf files. I doubt anyone owns copyright to military handbooks of a nonexistent state, so the main issue would be time and effort to do it.

My grandparents pretty much banged Europe, with a layover in Cuba.
KevinH

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 11:30:27 pm »

What would be awesome, if someone were up to the task, is if these could be translated and posted here on the wiki that's been set up (I like that by the way, and it shows how long I've been absent here) as .pdf files. I doubt anyone owns copyright to military handbooks of a nonexistent state, so the main issue would be time and effort to do it.

That's ultimately what we're working toward, but as I eluded to, it's an arduous task.

Dies ist unser Land.
Red_Ivan
Might know something...

East German alias- Max Ackermann

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 05:04:56 pm »

In response to Vrakos and the 1990 regs, they come form a book i bought called 'militaerische Uniformen in der DDR 1949-1990" (published 2003). It has a couple pages of the supposed uniform regs of 1990, BUT i believe they are actually photos of models wearing uniforms put together by the makers of the book which exemplify those 1990 changes. Regardless, they are interesting and I have taken a few pics and can post em up here soonish.

“If you start throwing hedgehogs under me, I shall throw a couple of porcupines under you.”
-Nikita Khrushchev, November 7, 1963.
Duke Exeter
Recruit

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 06:24:13 pm »

I found a really great website with all kinds of East German propaganda. One particular piece of propaganda stood out to me. It was called The Meaning of Being a Soldier. It was a small booklet that introduced new recruits to the National People's Army. I though it would be perfect for Grenzers or Mot Shutzen who want to have that fully indoctrinated feeling for future Eastwinds.

Here's the site: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/gdrmain.htm

The Meaning of Being a Soldier: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/soldat.htm
KevinH

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 07:42:14 am »

Great website! I was particularly interested in the litetrature justifying the berlin wall. Everyone on the DDR side should read through this site.

Dies ist unser Land.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: