Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: m718 pick up.  (Read 33487 times)
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 04:07:55 am »

All lined up straight and tacked back together now. 

Just need to run to Airgas and grab some good fill rods and Henry can get down to the serious work of making it structurally viable. 

Gettin there! 

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:40 pm »

Made a little progress on this guy. 

Gas tank was BEYOND filthy and rusted out. 

We had pumped out the "fuel" and have been using it after considerable filtration in the pressure washer which seems perfectly happy with it.  Scrubbed out the inside with simple green and a wire brush till all the mooky stuff was out then set it off to the side for a while so Z and I could trip over it. 

Finally this weekend we decided to have a whack at getting it rehabbed using phosphoric acid to eat up all the rust then Redkote to reseal the tank. 

Pictures: 

Num num num, eating the rust... 

Rust all gone (more or less)   Tank clean and dry, acid neutralized with baking soda. 

Curfman taping up various extra holes in the tank. 

Tank all sealed up.  Ask Curfman how he knows to act promptly when using Redkote!   Good news is he will not have to worry too much about coating being too thin on the bottom.  Bad news is his tank now holds about a quart less fuel then before. 

Stagg
Global Moderator

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 11:15:41 pm »

If you though it was bull, that we are giving HMMWVs away to our future enemies... how about giving them M151A2 and M718s?

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=213650

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 10:04:51 am »

Hmmm. They already said no to the 700-800 iltis that Canada was going to gift them because they were too exposed.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
R.Chappell

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 10:24:54 am »

Who are 'They'? Those are Saudi mutts! You can see the Saudi Army emblem on some of them and I seem to recall seeing a couple out and about during a inter-service exercise that happened when Iran was being gimps.

Prussian Field Marshall Von Moltke over a hundred years ago commented: “The British Army has some of the best training manuals in the world; thank goodness they don’t read them!”
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 11:12:45 am »

They being Afghanistan. We're outfitting Up-armored humvees for the Afghan Army to use to fight the insurgents...much the same as those guys before us who's equipment we keep finding on those same insurgents.

I saw the Saudi symbols, but as I recall they are upgrading aren't they?

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
David

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 11:17:56 am »

No matter who ends up with them, they aren't A-10 or drone proof so we should be good. They should be put up on GSA or GL so they can be taken care of properly.

Multifuel: Burns going in, whistles coming out.
R.Chappell

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 12:10:02 pm »

Always upgrading but that doesn't mean everyone gets an upgrade of kit. You'll be surprised what is still being used in the same unit alongside the newest kit. Still, those don't look like they are being used anymore and the guy who posted didn't say where he took them. Seen plenty of US sqns. come and go on detachment just at the base I was on so wouldn't surprise me if it was a similar situation.

Prussian Field Marshall Von Moltke over a hundred years ago commented: “The British Army has some of the best training manuals in the world; thank goodness they don’t read them!”
omen
You might want to listen up...

Curfman

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 11:20:58 am »

I have acquired a lid for my m718

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M151-M718-M718A1-Canvass-Top-original-USGI-with-red-crosses-Good-Condition-/221254468124?hash=item3383cb421c
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40:19 am »

That should paint up nicely.

I just bought you a really nice looking transmission tunnel cover... all those pictures on G838.org got us some good attention.  Look for it on Friday perched on top of the mailbox at Allan's house (his mailman must hate him sometimes.)   

I'm also working a line on some more doors.  Both vinyl and Canvas.  I assume the ambulances used regular doors?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:47:19 am by Stagg » Logged

omen
You might want to listen up...

Curfman

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 11:53:47 am »

Sweet! Thanks!  Grin

The m718s used normal doors
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2013, 11:04:42 am »

Need to remove the power pack from the M718 so that Curfman can finish up the welds on the main support structure then flip the truck over and do much of the significant bottom work at a much more emotionally pleasing angle that doesn’t catch Curfman on fire nearly so much. 

Step 1.  Print pages from the -34 manual on power pack removal for Curfman.   He’s done power packs probably more than ANY of us but none the less, familiarity breeds contempt and there will ALWAYs be something that gets forgotten. 

Next up, remove the stuff on the pages!   Here Curfman is just finishing up with the clutch shaft. 

Next, up the tree goes Curfman to wrap up a recovery strap and hang the come a long. 

Then start pulling the power pack till you figure out what you forgot to take off.  In this case, the exhaust down pipe.  There is VERY little exhaust left on this truck so Curfman had assumed what was left would not interfere with removal.  He was wrong, surprisingly the down pipe itself was quite solid and is in decent shape.

Power Pack out.   Always handy Magliner cart again to the rescue.   

Engine bay empty. 

Transmission area empty. 

Anyhow, pretty much ready to start making serious progress on this guy! 
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 07:11:57 pm »

Got the framework boxed in and it's structurally sound enough that we were able to flip it today:

Curfman looks at the flipped over Mutt coming up with a plan for the underside.   Oddly enough, this is one of the few mutts we have that DOES NOT have a rusted out center main beam..  Go figure... 

Another shot of the underside.   I suspect that this will actually straighten out in pretty fast order and we'll be installing floors before too long.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Even ended up with a new shop cat.  Sort of just wandered by earlier today and hung around with Curfman and Keith all day long. 

Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 08:43:13 am »

That sucker is going to use up a lot of rust reformer!
The grey mustache cat would be more fun.  If you require your animals to "just show up, and claim you" I can drop him off in the middle of the night.  With AC the dog would never know.

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:12 am »

Ok, ok, you win.   I'll take the Snidley Whiplash cat.

NATO needs an inspector cat too I suppose. 

Can't just steal the neighbors cat you know. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: