Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Consolidated Story of Truck 211, CUCV  (Read 4617 times)
Stagg
Global Moderator
Knows what he's talking about...

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 07:24:37 am »

Watch your headlights.  They had poor grounding in the factory, 30 years later will not have improved them.
LMC had a relay harness that was reviewed as a good buy, especially if you wanted "better" headlight bulbs.

I was not ever worried by the amount of light created.  However, if the headlights burn up their wiring harness or pop the fuse, then they can take other things with them.  I forget what else is on/near the headlight fuse, but they have a known capacity to melt the fuse box if you ignore them too much.

The truck looks good. 

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
Spectre
Recruit

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 08:13:09 pm »

So yesterday I went to visit my paint guy for an estimate to fix the rust on the roof. We found Tan CARC overspray on some of the rubber, and beneath some of the 3 color CARC from 95. Definitely desert tan CARC. Any theories?
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 08:15:42 pm »

Sounds like it went to the desert.  Or somebody planned to send it.

Pretty common.

Spectre
Recruit

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »

Regarding the "Danger Zone" Ive read 55 (I've also read they are supposedly governed to 55. If that was the case my new injection pump threw that notion into the garbage), but you marked it at 65. WHat exactly were the limitations on that again?
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 07:22:43 am »

Remember there are two general types of CUCV.

The Pickup truck versions have larger gear ratios in the axles, and hence slower top speed.  About 55mph
The Blazer version M1009, was intended to get "good" fuel economy (about 20-22mpg) and with less gear ratio in the axles goes "faster." 

Some people claim to get the blazers up to 70-something measured with GPS and stock tires.  The speedometers seem to read high, hence the popular reason to put 33in tires on the M1009s. 
I added the danger decal myself based on nothing other than my own scheming.  The truck should drive 55-60 all day long.  It will good faster than that, but you can hear the engine working harder to get there.
I drove that one at 65 on the interstate, and could sprint a little faster to pass if needed.  If I didn't want to go that fast then I should have picked a slower highway.
The sticker was there so that uneducated, lead-foot, electric-window button pushing, drivers didn't blow something up in my truck.

Spectre
Recruit

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 06:47:33 pm »

Did this truck ever have dexcool in it?
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 06:41:20 am »

That, I don't know.  I never flushed the cooling system, it was on the to-do list when it died.

Spectre
Recruit

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 06:26:27 pm »

I flushed it. It was gross. it, however, was not dexcool, Just a ton of rust. Likely from the stupid spring inside the lower radiator hose. That hose, or its springy friend, by the way, is no longer there. It failed about a week after the water pump change. The Hose clamp cut right through it like butter. To sum it up, the old rubber in the truck is shot. Almost every failure on this truck has been caused by deteriorated rubber. When i crack open the injection pump i expect to also find failed rubber, or pieces of the vacuum line that was being used for fuel. Luckily I was not the first person to realize this, as there is lots of newer rubber in the engine bay. So far she runs and drives reliably for about 2 weeks now. i've been taking her on longer trips farther and farther from the house, with just a few electrical glitches. This truck has 2 things going for it: Its very easy to work on. Its a chevy, and parts for chevies are cheap and plentiful.
Stagg
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 06:48:55 pm »

Yep. (say it slow like an old farmer)

If its rubber replace it, if its electrical clean it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: