Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Consolidated story of Deuce 6025  (Read 8616 times)
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:31 am »

East Wind I was a tough environment.   Queens City, Missouri was 4 hours from nowhere and hauling all of our gear back and forth in silly little pickup trucks was quite tiresome.  In spite of the fact that we had practically no gear when compared to what we hit the field with in recent years we, none the less, ended up with weekend after weekend being expended driving back and forth in ½ ton pickup trucks shuttling gear back and forth.  

Once we were on site, ground conditions rapidly deteriorated and we found ourselves unable to effectively move cargo or even people across the field and back to the camp locations.   We had a FEW vehicles that could handle the job well, a couple of Suzuki Samurais and a large 4x4 John Deere tractor which effectively carried most of the hauling load during the wetter periods.  

NATO troops working on a wet spot to make it passable to traffic at East Wind I.  Tractor shown was the primary way of moving gear to both NATO and Warpac camps.  

Both of these issues needed to be corrected in order for us to effectively operate in the field.    The most obvious solution to this was to introduce a couple of heavier duty trucks into the mix.   At the time, the M35A2 trucks were being passed out of Army Reserve and National Guard service at a pretty good clip and with scrap prices being relatively low, the prices were fairly reasonable.     After a period of watching and rubbing together of pennies we were finally able to strike and in June of 2008 a rather scrabbity looking M35A2 in hastily applied desert paint was purchased from Government Liquidation out at Ft. Riley.

Original Auction photo of the M35A2 that became 6025  

Not sure what we had really gotten ourselves into, we showed up at the GL lot and were happy to see that the only semi-substantial problem was a flat front tire.  The truck fired right up, all the fluids were topped off and it even had a full tank of fuel in it.    After waiting what seemed like ages for the tire to air up we were off.    The drive home introduced us to a few of the quirks of Deuce ownership for the first time.   Firstly this thing was great fun to drive!  A lot more fun than you would expect a giant lumbering truck to be in fact.   Secondly, DAMN was that thing loud, you could forget having a conversation with anyone but yourself in there.  Thirdly, spring ride seats with bad shocks will pogo stick you within an inch of your life when you hit a bump at speed.  And lastly, if you have an old truck with a soft top that has baked in the sun, the top will be fine but the thread that holds it all together will deteriorate and as soon as you hit highway speeds, the front seam pops and you need to remove the top.  All was well and good, it was a nice day anyhow and the return trip was a very good time.  

Picking up 6025 from the GL lot

First in the progress queue was clearly going to be getting rid of the abhorrent tan paint.  starting on the 4th of July weekend 2008 the M35a2 got scrubbed, sanded, stripped and painted with a nice even coat of 383 green paint then stenciled up.  The sanding process had revealed the previous units bumper number of 6025 so it was decided to retain that number when it was stenciled back up.  

First coats of "anti-tan spray" start working on greening up 6025

The newly designated 6025 made it out to several local airsofting events where it proved to be head and shoulders above the previous vehicles we had been using in the field when it came to cross country travel and was clearly better for hauling large amounts of cargo.   Once we figured out a location for East Wind II, 6025 teamed up with the Warpac troops new Unimog truck and was used to scout out the new field prior to the event and then at the event itself teamed up with another M109 box truck owned by Tsstout and proved to be a great field asset.  

6025 At East Wind II in it’s original solid 383 green paint

6025 and Tsstout’s M109 at East Wind II

By this time, additional military truck assets were becoming more common meaning that we were increasingly traveling to and from events, set up weekends, etc in convoys.   Being unable to even speak to the passenger beside you was enough of a pain in the ass, having an entire convoy of vehicles who could not communicate was getting to be untenable.    Deuce 6025 was fitted with a radio mount and mast antenna and slowly this became the norm for most all of the other NATO vehicles as well.  

East Wind III started off as a horrifying reminder of the conditions that led us to buy 6025 in the first place.   It rained a LOT and by the first day, it had rained enough to make the county gravel road that led directly to the NATO camp location mucky and muddy enough to preclude the use of lesser vehicles.  6025 and the other military trucks soldiered on even managing to deliver a water buffalo onto the location without getting mired down in the sloppy roads.  

6025 hauling the buffalo down the (nice) road to the NATO camp.  

6025 parked beside the road at the NATO camp location.  

The summer of 2010 saw East Wind setting up a display at the MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Association) national convention in Topeka, Kansas.    While the trip was mostly a red herring since we were not received particularly well by the MVPA people who seemed mostly annoyed that we did not have glossy WW2 jeeps it did give us an opportunity to finally corner and talk to Dewayne Convirs, the owner of D-Day Adventure Park in Wyandotte, OK.   This was the beginning of a great friendship which saw us move East Wind to it’s new home at D-Day.

6025 along with the BTR-40 “Russian Jeep” on display at the MVPA National Convention.

East Wind 4 again saw 6025 prove itself to be quite handy both on the field and off as it shuttled cargo down and back and in the field moved troops and equipment here and there as needed.   Two things were beginning to tell on us however.  One was the wear and tear on tires from the rocky terrain at D-Day coupled with the many miles and hours of highway driving we were spending running back and forth.   Faced with needing to purchase at LEAST 6 new bias ply tires and the prospect of having to replace them yet again 5000 miles later while also having to use chains and pry bars to pull the myriad of rocks out from between the dual rear wheels whenever I left DDAP it was decided that it was time to take the leap to radial tires.    Secondly, we had finally accumulated enough other trucks sporting the 3 color woodland paint scheme so it was clearly time to make the leap to 3 color woodland paint as well.   Around that same time, we came into a decent stash of parts and upgraded the interior seating to dual drivers style seats and added a very nice hard top cab enclosure.  

6025s new woodland paint drying in the sun after Trucker pattern painted it.

6025 watches over its matching pal 6015 as we replace a wheel bearing on the road home from DDAP.  

6025 gets dual drivers seat install.

6025s new hard top cab enclosure.

6025 gets its rear hubs flipped over to super singles and a new set of Goodyear G-177 radial tires.  

After making some modifications to the front end to get things to sit nice and drive down the road smoothly, the new radial tires rapidly proved to be worth the additional cost.  Cruising speed increased to around 60 Mph, tire wear came almost completely to an end, no more rocks in the duals and the road noise level in the truck dropped to a point where conversation with passengers was possible.  

East Wind 5 saw the introduction of M882 #706 and Stagg’s new M1009 CUCV meaning that finally 6025 would get something of a break from constantly having to crawl over every inch of land for the entire event.   It instead found itself assigned to 1st Squad who made good use of it as a troop transport from time to time but mostly let 6025 rest in the motor pool.  

6025 stopped on the road to Colleville, East Wind 5.

As time has worn on, 6025 has found itself needed less and less in the field while at the same time being needed more and more as a support asset.   More gear, more trailers, more stuff, more support of other events, and even more other vehicles means that 6025 finds itself plying the roads to and from events, the western depot, and auction lots more than ever.   While we may not see 6025 slinking around as much on the field, you can rest assured that if it is big and heavy at NATO, odds are it got there carried or pulled by 6025 the Deuce that started the military vehicle madness.  

6025 pulls a M105 trailer full of tents while carrying M151A1 6001 in it’s bed to East Wind 6.  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:20:53 am by aswayze » Logged
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:14 am »

Got to add some dates to this and get pictures off the home computer to fill this out but we've got it started anyhow. 
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:41 am »

Very cool. I didn't run into you guys at the MVPA convention in Topeka because I wasn't there. Some stuck-up crotchety old guy came up to us at an Rotc event inquiring about our de-milled M1 drill rifles as he wanted one for his 43 jeep MB. After putting up with him for 45 minutes I didn't want any part of it.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Stagg
Global Moderator

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:35:24 am »

Whew, the "roads" at EW3 are still memorable.  What kind of "County Road" turns to 12in deep mud filled gravel when driven on?

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:51:03 pm »

Look at this cool stash of random pipes I just bought! 

I think these will allow me to perch the gyroscope of doom we got from Dewayne up on top of 6025 and finally give us an air defense machine gun mount to keep those pesky Hinds at bay when we travel in convoy. 
Coop

We all live in a yellow UAZ...

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:38:00 pm »

Very curious to see where this is going, as I recall, guns on vehicles is like tan paint on vehicles...  Grin

- Куперов

OP: EW-IV - Ef. - 1SEC RTO
OP: EW-V - Jr. Lt. - XO
OP: EW-VI - Sr. Lt. - CO
OP: EW-VII - Sr. Lt. - HQ RTO
OP: EW-VIII - Capt. - Dacha in Urals
OP: EW-VIIII - Maj. - Desk in Moscow
OP: EW-VIIIII - Lt. Col. - CO Space Forces
OP: EW-VIIIIII - Marshal of the Soviet Union
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:56:35 pm »

Hillbilly guns are like tan paint. 

Proper M66 gun rings are completely different. 

NOT particularly useful for East Wind unless you guys suddenly get an aircraft.  In fact, unless I get really lucky or someone suddenly makes a reasonably priced M2 it will likely not ever have anything mounted on it., 
Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 07:55:34 pm »

Hillbilly guns are like tan paint.  

Proper M66 gun rings are completely different.  

NOT particularly useful for East Wind unless you guys suddenly get an aircraft.  In fact, unless I get really lucky or someone suddenly makes a reasonably priced M2 it will likely not ever have anything mounted on it.,  

Since its an anti-aircraft mount, and even if someone did magically get an aircraft, shooting at an aircraft with bbs would be almost entirely pointless, wouldn't visually modifying something to look close to an M2 be good enough?

Edit: I mean we park the self propelled artillery out there just because it looks cool, even if it will realistically never get used. Isn't the point of this whole event just so we can all spam our facebook pages with tons of super cool pictures afterward anyway? Wink

But seriously, it would look cool, and in terms of usability, that is about all it would ever need to do, so I'm just wondering if that might be an easier way to get a reasonably priced M2 on there. Plus, I'm sure you have enough scrap lying around you could build one for pretty close to free, since it just has to look the part.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:58:15 pm by Phoenix » Logged

Ben Miller
US Army 1st Squad, Bravo Fire Team Leader - EWV

"You can be the baddest kung fu ninja assault swat sniper commandos in the world and still fail if you can't get to the fight.

"I suspect Phoenix forever love is probably the creepy, dig through your trash cans kind... " -Allan Swayze
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 08:04:47 pm »

Not an entirely unheard of theory: 

Just not sure it is worth the time and effort to build when I have a LOT of other stuff to be working on around here these days. 

Coop

We all live in a yellow UAZ...

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 08:06:57 pm »

Well if you've still got that much on hand, you might as well go all the way and turn it into a propane firing gun so DShK can have a misunderstood cousin living on the wrong side of Germany!  Cheesy

- Куперов

OP: EW-IV - Ef. - 1SEC RTO
OP: EW-V - Jr. Lt. - XO
OP: EW-VI - Sr. Lt. - CO
OP: EW-VII - Sr. Lt. - HQ RTO
OP: EW-VIII - Capt. - Dacha in Urals
OP: EW-VIIII - Maj. - Desk in Moscow
OP: EW-VIIIII - Lt. Col. - CO Space Forces
OP: EW-VIIIIII - Marshal of the Soviet Union
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 08:34:31 pm »

That project is long gone, just have made them before.   

Not worth the hassle when we have actual equipment to fix instead of non-operable props. 

Phoenix

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 08:39:40 pm »

That project is long gone, just have made them before.   

Not worth the hassle when we have actual equipment to fix instead of non-operable props. 

Amen to that. If I had a welder I would totally get on that for you though, since I have no equipment to fix (yet). Smiley

Ben Miller
US Army 1st Squad, Bravo Fire Team Leader - EWV

"You can be the baddest kung fu ninja assault swat sniper commandos in the world and still fail if you can't get to the fight.

"I suspect Phoenix forever love is probably the creepy, dig through your trash cans kind... " -Allan Swayze
R.Chappell

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 12:26:15 am »

Is that from a deactivated M2 or made from killbucket's plans?

Prussian Field Marshall Von Moltke over a hundred years ago commented: “The British Army has some of the best training manuals in the world; thank goodness they don’t read them!”
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 01:32:13 am »

Neither. Killbucket's stuff is ok, deact M2s are scarce. Allen made that in his garage out of bits and pieces.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:49:09 am »

We started down the road to getting the gun ring installed over the Labor Day work weekend. 

David stripped out the cab and got all the ring legs installed after a good bit of prying, shoving, corkscrewing and a little bit of oil.  "Keith" then set to work getting the cab reinforcement plate installed.  This is a SERIOUS job involving no less than 96 big 1/4 inch pop rivets plus all of the associated laying out, marking, and drilling of holes.   It's about 1/2 done now, we'll be getting on the rest of the way with it as the week progresses. 

Once we get the cab all propped up, we'll refinish the interior, add in the standard style passenger seat, reconfigure all the radio kit, truck bed line the interior, install some shifter boots then try to get everything layed out as best we can before hauling everything down to DDAP where we'll use the crane to install the ring itself. 

Cab plate in place with first two rivets holding it where it needs to be.  Pantograph can be seen on the floor, this tool is indispensable for getting rivet spacing just right.

David also got the rear hub pulled apart for the seal replacement but there was a bearing that needed to be ordered before we could assemble it and we did not get back to the parts store in time before they closed down for the holiday weekend to scoop it up.   I'll grab it today and try to get it at least ready to go back together. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: