Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BTR-40 overhaul coming soon... very very soon...  (Read 12487 times)
Doorman
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 04:10:34 am »

Manual inbound for the SPW-40 as of yesterday

Berufssoldat des wahren Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik im Ostwind
Trucker
East Wind NATO Planning Staff
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 07:42:11 pm »

We're getting closer to engine removal. Today I had planned to get the exhaust pipe disconnected from from the header, remove the radiator, disconnect the oil filter and remove the carb linkage.

I started with the exhaust and determined that the only way toremove the engine was to unbolt it from the header. It was too tight to do any cutting on the pipe where it needed to be cut to remove the engine. Also did not have long enough extensions for sockets. So on to the radiator.
The radiator took about two and a half hours to remove. A lot of brown milky looking stuff poured out of what was left in the bottom 4 inches of the radiator.
Next was removing the carb, and all linkages to it.
Them the oil filter canister from the left fender.

Nothing on this was easy today. At one point I thought I was in real trouble, standing over the engine compartment holding a 75 lb. radiator and no place to go. Embarrassed
Still got the exhaust to disconnect and unbolt engine mounts.
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 04:26:06 pm »

So updating this thread.

After our last work weekend - we had the engine and transmission pulled out and began tearing into the engine.

http://www.operationeastwind.com/forum/index.php?topic=3440.0

Today Trucker came over and it was decided earlier this week to just take the cam shaft and bearings from his M37 engine since they were ok - and put them in the BTR-40's M37 engine in order to get it back together and ready to put back in the BTR-40 sooner.

So today it is back in and getting put back together.  Weekend after next we should finish the install and it should about be ready to go back in the BTR-40 for the Nov work weekend.

Trucker
East Wind NATO Planning Staff

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 09:22:25 pm »

Well another day with this engine. Installed a very different looking piston.

The only thing I can think of is that the cuts were for getting more oil to the piston skirts.

After installing the piston I connected the rods and torqued them down. Tried turning the engine over and it was locked solid. After swapping out the bearings it was determined that those bearings were matched to the rods that they came off of. With all the frustration we decided to call it a day before something got seriously broken.
This weekend I'll have to  swap the rods out.
eightball

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 03:19:33 pm »

The warpac work weekend:  as seen from Eightball

Art and Andruha picked me up in plainfield, then we scooped up Ivan and proceeded to Missouri.  Friday night consisted of sampling Eastern European food (pushing this american well beyond his comfort zone of hotdogs and hamburgers) and just sitting around talking, plus making the game plan for the next morning

Saterday we got up, and started brushing away every rusty spot on the BTR-40, as well as disassembling every panel that could be unbolted.  A quick break for the most delicious biscuits and gravy you've ever had, then back to work scrubbing.  I then broke away from the group (when they started painting) and stripped down all the seats so the frames could be painted while I did the upholstery on them

Art hard at work painting

Ivan taking reenacting to a whole new level

Here are all the bits and pieces, plus the two front seats stripped and painted.  From the upholstery side of things, those front seats I've never seen before, in that the fabric was riveted directly to the frame, so I got to try something new.

And a before picture of the two fold-down seats

Sunday came and the paint was dry enough to work on.

Talking to Art and Brett about finding new foam for the front seats, Art complained that he would have to sit on a folded jacket or something to see out of the window because the seat had too much give.  Brett suggested making a plywood seat that simply screws onto the frame.  So some quick measurements and tracing gave us this seat (also, the riveting on the back rests turned out to be pretty simple, just a bit more time consuming)

BTR before reassembly of the interior

After

After After

Also, truck bed liner was painted onto the interior, plus other spots that they knew were stood on frequently.  Trucker came both days, but that's a different story to be told.  Cosmetically the BTR-40 looks great, and I took home plenty of little projects to keep me busy until I come back to help get that engine back in
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:35:31 am by tascabe » Logged

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

Everybody wants to be special (forces)
Coop

We all live in a yellow UAZ...

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 04:00:26 pm »

And I helped!

Pics and videos to come next week as I continue to help Tascabe prepare for east wind 7.

- Куперов

OP: EW-IV - Ef. - 1SEC RTO
OP: EW-V - Jr. Lt. - XO
OP: EW-VI - Sr. Lt. - CO
OP: EW-VII - Sr. Lt. - HQ RTO
OP: EW-VIII - Capt. - Dacha in Urals
OP: EW-VIIII - Maj. - Desk in Moscow
OP: EW-VIIIII - Lt. Col. - CO Space Forces
OP: EW-VIIIIII - Marshal of the Soviet Union
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2013, 08:27:52 am »

Looks kick ass guys! 
David

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:16 pm »

Looks like fun.

Multifuel: Burns going in, whistles coming out.
Metal

Comrade Kalina 983

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2013, 12:13:07 pm »

Great pics, Steven!

ГСВГ, 8 ОА, 27 МСД, 5 ОРБ, 7 РР, 3 РО, Рядовой Калина №983 (EW-IV, EW-V, EW-VI)

http://www.AllEquipped.com/ http://www.ATACKA.com/
ShukaBlya
Recruit

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2014, 05:51:16 pm »

Sweeet : )
eightball

friendly fire isn't

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:02 am »

where are my manners!  Since coop is always the photographer, he can't take pictures of himself while he works on projects.  Here I snuck in a shot of him doing something with something else at a table full of stuff.

Last weekend we finished the tarp for the BTR (as well as all of bretts vehicles).  Heres to hoping that the BTR will make it to EW this year!

EW VI - US 3rd Squad
EW VII - US 1st squad

Everybody wants to be special (forces)
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 08:06:32 am »

So it has been a while for updates here.

So will sort of catch us up.

Engine was finally done!

Kept hitting little snags as we went along.

Lessons learned here:

Just gt it all done right away.  Anything that might need machined - get to the shop together.

Do not have two of the same types of engines apart at the same time - parts get mixed up!

Keep bolts/nuts for each component together and clearly marked!

But after all of that - we still got it done...somehow.

We decided to put it back in as a 'power-pack with the transmission attached.

Initially we were unable to get the shifter to come out if its yoke.  Later learned how to do that.. - so instead we just took the top off the transmission and did it that way.

Then once in - which took a lot of use pushing and pulling and such to get it past all the things that wanted to get in the way and get the holes lined up - we put the transmission cover back on

Of course something was not lined up - so Curfman set to work with the manual to figure out what needed lined up.

He got it done and it shifted once again.

He got all the linkages and driveshaft attached.

And we test fit the covers (with thier new boots by Lopez)

Then over the next couple working days trucker reattached all the hoses and wires etc.

Robur tires are getting mounted to the new custom wheels this week.
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2015, 11:53:17 am »

New shoes for the BTR-40

ready to get put on

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2015, 08:56:16 am »

Place holder for DSHK before pictures
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2015, 09:06:11 am »

Some pics of projects happening here on the KC side for the BTR overhaul:

The wiring is beyond absurd on that thing and after fiddling with it for a few years it was finally decided to rip everything out and start fresh.  (good idea).  To that end, Trucker came up to KC and we spent a weekend drawing up the wiring diagram.  Rather than using a hard to read spaghetti diagram, we drew it up the way industrial electrics are written in order to make it easier to read and just as importantly install.

Trucker drawing.

Gauge page

Curfman spend unholy amounts of hours welding the DSHK up into a compliant "non-gun" and sorting out the mount which was beyond horrible.  Now mostly complete and looking kick ass!

The biggest thing is that the mount actually moves!  When it arrived, it was frozen hard as a carp and it took an immense amount of beating, bashing, clobbering, cursing and prying to get get it loose enough to take apart.  Now it's so smooth even Trucher can elevate and traverse it!  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55855884@N00/23338354523/in/dateposted-public/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: