Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BTR-40 overhaul coming soon... very very soon...  (Read 12488 times)
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 07:54:13 pm »

Was planning to bring it back last weekend - but blew a trailer tire on the way out and did not feel comfortable until I got the remaining one on that side swapped out with a new tire.

So it is coming back this weekend instead.

On the bright side - we have been slowly working on Trucker's M37 engine so getting a little more knowledge about how to go about it on the BTR's M37 engine.

Once it is here and in the garage - I will try and set up a schedule for work weekends.

Luckily the garage does have an AC - not great but sure better than out in the sun.
Stagg
Global Moderator

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47:26 pm »

I'll be home in time to help out a bit.... maybe I can finally learn to drive the thing too.

Looks like I'm home in time to help out on ALL of it  Embarrassed

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!

Always carry two trauma kits.
One to induce trauma, and one to reduce trauma.
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »

OK - BTR-40 is back home (after blowing another trailer tire on the trip back...)

It will get put in its reserved spot in the garage and then we can start planning work weekends to get the engine pulled and start other stripping down for its refurbishment.

We may take this opportunity to reconfigure the seating positions back to the proper BTR/SPW-40 arrangement instead of the Israeli one it is in now.

May still have a few additional ones like on the fenders etc - we will make that decision later.

Metal

Comrade Kalina 983

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 12:40:27 pm »

Tell us when. 3-4 people from Chicago will be there.

ГСВГ, 8 ОА, 27 МСД, 5 ОРБ, 7 РР, 3 РО, Рядовой Калина №983 (EW-IV, EW-V, EW-VI)

http://www.AllEquipped.com/ http://www.ATACKA.com/
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 03:27:39 pm »

Trucker was here to pick up his M37 engine for next weekend in KC.

While here - he helped work on getting the BTR ready for pulling the engine.

Drained radiator, engine and transmission,

Then we pulled the doghouse of to get a better look at the transmission and get those parts out of the way for pulling the engine.

So from transmission back is still Russian.

So the adaptation to the M37 engine  is in the clutch area.

Here are a few pics.

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »

Sweet.  Looks like I need to send down an syphon gun so you guys can solvent wash that critter out. 

Looks not too bad space wise to work on on there.  Is there enough clearance to tip everything out as a power pack or are you going to take the engine separate from the transmission? 

Lift Kit
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 10:15:56 pm »

So round trip tickets are only about 350 to Oklahoma City airport, how far in advance will you guys have major weekends scheduled?  I'd like to come down and help out but I'd need advance notice, of about a month to get off work.  I do have three day weekends from school, so two days of work is actually feasible for me.  Please?  Grin
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 12:42:45 am »

OKC will get you to DDAP (the field), this particular job is in St. Louis. The mutt kind of stuff is in Kansas City.

The major stuff tends to get planned out in advance since we're dragging resources from all across the Midwest.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Lift Kit

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 12:54:36 am »

No need to work on capitalist copies of worker's GAZ-64, just beautiful communist armor....
Tickets to St Louis are just a touch more, I could still do a weekend or two a year (blast the distance) and learn.  Money permitting I'd like to eventually buy a P2 or P3 myself, to add to the motorpool.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 05:33:22 am »

OKC doesn't even get you to the field actually.  Oklahoma is BIG!  Oklahoma City is a full 200 miles away from D-Day.   When you look at flying in, if you are going full term, the best plan is to fly into and out of St. Louis or Kansas City or Chicago and catch a ride down and back with one of the convoys or to fly into Joplin, Mo which in spite of being a little puddle jumper airport is actually fairly cheap to fly into due to subsidies. 

Trucker
East Wind NATO Planning Staff

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 07:02:24 pm »

We discussed how it will come out. It should probably come out as a power pack. The trans. needs to be inspected. It was full of water, looking into the drain hole I saw a gear that appeared to have ground down edges, and the trans will need new gaskets and seals.
The rear axle appeared to have a leaky hub.
Tascabe was looking at photos and diagrams of the BTR. There was a picture of something in a compartment under the drivers seat. We didn't know what we were looking at. So we opened the compartment and still wasn't sure. So I crawled under the BTR to track down the hard lines. The devise is a brake booster. Never seen one like that before.
Trucker
East Wind NATO Planning Staff

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 06:50:40 pm »

Got the BTR-40 closer to engine removal.
I disconnected all the electrical going to the engine. Removed the shift levers and disconnected all the shift linkage. Disconnected the drive line from the rear of the transmission. Disconnected fuel lines and hosed down the exhaust header bolts with penetrating oil.
The bolts holding the drive line were a little more than finger tight. The only thing keeping the bolts from backing themselves out was the grease was thick and sticky.
The next trip out I'm going to remove the exhaust pipe, the radiator and the oil filter canister. And if I get the time I may try to remove the transmission.
There are going to be a few parts that need degreasing before reinstalling them.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 07:44:44 pm »

Get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Binks-140B-Spray-Gun-Solvent-Cleaner-Devilbiss-/190898806709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c72749fb5 

Totally worth it.   We love ours to death up here. 
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 05:04:03 am »

I think I have one of those - that is the one for the simple green - right?

You gave me one.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 05:14:20 am »

You have a solvent washer I sent you already.  We have one of those as well as one of these.  This one is orders of magnitude better. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: