Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The SA80 Bayonet  (Read 24470 times)
Mercy
Global Moderator
Knows what he's talking about...

Army # 24172366

« on: July 11, 2012, 04:48:47 pm »

Well, we all know the damn things are stupid expensive.  Would there theoretically be any interest in casting a resin/rubber replica?  

Pros:
Should be less than the $140ish real deal price range.
Looks the part since fieldwerks does damn good replicas
We'd actually look like we had bayonets, something we all lack on the kit

Cons:
You'd still have to find a frog (easy at about $3) and much harder fashion a scabbard to hold the knife in the frog since I don't think a replica would be slim enough to fit in a real deal scabard even if you could scare one up.

Not a real anti-hog bayonet if you're worried about that sort of thing, but then again you got a pocket knife right?

I don't know how they would attach but it's a good bet that it wouldn't be with the press lever, more likely a friction fit.

...and mostly, Allan, would a replica satisfy the bayonet requirement?  

...and final consideration, it looks like interordinance on ebay has a few re-furbished bayonets that they are trickling in on ebay right now and they seem to be selling around the $40 mark.  Which if that holds will likely be about the same price as a replica.  I dropped them a line to see how many they actually had to sell and would they be interested in a "bulk" order.  No frog or scabbard but still a good deal.  I'm bidding on one now as it's just too tempting to pass up.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:05:45 am by Mercy » Logged

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
Abacus
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »

Hmmm, I have a frog....

You may leave Eastwind, Eastwind doesn't leave you

EW V: UK Forces Squad Leader
EW VI:UK Forces Radioman
EW VII:NATO XO
EWVIII: Prime Minister
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:09:44 am »

Gents, keep an eye on this guy for a while too: http://www.ebay.com/sch/interordinance/m.html?autorefresh=true&item=271013973184&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p3984.Banana Hammock26.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

He seems to be selling them with some regularity...I'm after the one he has up now as long as it doesn't skyrocket.  This is the first time in the year I've been looking that someone is selling them in the States.

There's an east wind coming, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared.
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:59:19 am »

Email from interordinance regarding refurbished SA80 bayonets w/frog that he has on offer:
Thank you for your email.
Yes, I have several of these bayonets, please give me an indication of how many you want and I will send you a price with postage.

So he won't list an ask price until a number is forwarded to him.  Any interest in getting one of these let me know asap. If we come up with a number and his asking price is loopy nothing holds us to completing the transaction.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:07:02 am by Mercy » Logged

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:52:34 am »

#1 Those guys are complete weasels.  If one of them showed up at my front door, I would go cook all the bacon I had just to make a pan full of hot bacon grease to throw on him.   

#2 Because they are such weasels many people do not care to deal with them at all which means that in all reality, the price may well be worth while however do be forwarned that you are likely to get replicas being posed as the real deal or some such bullshit.  I.E. stock up on bacon... 

Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:07:33 am »

Hmm unhappy to hear that, but good to know!  I'll take the hit and see what they send out of this auction.  I hope these aren't crappy blanks that are done up as real knives. 

Furnas

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:43:26 pm »

I would prefer a real steel bayonet rather than rubber one. Not much of a bayonet squaddie. They seem to be great for stabbing the wearer when going prone or kneeling. I would need three of whatever we decide. I have several DPM and OD frogs. I can take inventory if needed.

Rather not deal with a weasels! Or raging hogs!  More cautious of weasels! Smiley

Thanks for looking into this Mercy!
Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:45 pm »

Hmm unhappy to hear that, but good to know!  I'll take the hit and see what they send out of this auction.  I hope these aren't crappy blanks that are done up as real knives. 

Pretty sure paypal has as one of its reason for giving a full refund a "received the wrong item". If it is advertised and stated to be the real deal, and they send you crap, paypal should reimburse you.

Ben Miller
US Army 1st Squad, Bravo Fire Team Leader - EWV

"You can be the baddest kung fu ninja assault swat sniper commandos in the world and still fail if you can't get to the fight.

"I suspect Phoenix forever love is probably the creepy, dig through your trash cans kind... " -Allan Swayze
R.Chappell

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:14 pm »

What is the sort of price you are all willing to pay for a real one?

http://www.saracenexports.co.uk/shop/shop.php?action=full&id=26

40 quid for one, including delivery to the US of A. My rough guide to foreign wonga exchange puts that about $60. Xe puts it at a $61.77.

I'm gonna fire off an email and see if they would be willing to discount either unit cost or shipping or both for a combined order. They are in Wales so I expect the carrier pigeons to take their time/be eaten on the way but we should get an answer which will hopefully be in English and not that Cymru unintelligible gibberish they pretend to be keeping alive.

Prussian Field Marshall Von Moltke over a hundred years ago commented: “The British Army has some of the best training manuals in the world; thank goodness they don’t read them!”
R.Chappell

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 03:04:00 am »

Those carrier pigeons must be working quick because I got a response back. He'd be willing to sell them for £25 quid each if we buy 10 or more. Might even get a discount on a combined shipping as well but I guess we'll find that out when we have a figure for how many we'd want to get.

Basically if shipping doesn't change that would be $54 per item with shipping included for a super grade bayonet.

Thoughts ladies and gents?

Prussian Field Marshall Von Moltke over a hundred years ago commented: “The British Army has some of the best training manuals in the world; thank goodness they don’t read them!”
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 05:08:11 am »

I like that price way better than what is going around ebay for legit bayonets!  I'm in one for this IO guy to see what he actually has so I won't commit a bayonet from Saracen just yet. 

Bayonet - Azubi!
Frogs: $3 - http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/british-bayonet-frog.html
Scabbards - ?

Furnas

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 01:22:20 pm »

$54 is best price I have seen! Not ready to drop $162 right now for three but some day!
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 03:21:39 pm »

Ok, got the bayonet today. It was drop shipped from the UK.  It's in well used condition but has all the moving bits.  It's clearly been stripped and re-sprayed but all in all I'm pretty pleased.  Now I just need to find the infantry scabbard. I also have to fit it to the flashhider.  The airsoft ones are a bit larger than standard so I just need to figure out how to overcome that.

Mr.Spank

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 12:04:43 pm »

Jolly good show  Grin
or some such in Britanese

Brits still use bayonets. In documentary footage from Afghanistan just years ago they are seen mounting their bayonets whenever the enemy seems near. They actually did a bayonet charge in Iraq. And won. Naturally.

Since I use real bayonets on my AKs, I mount them onto my gun with scabbard attached. Works better on my AK47 than my AK74. I mean in that the aesthetics of it work better on the 47, where as on the 74 its freaking orange.

Tascabe owns a whole building full of communism!
Mercy
Global Moderator

Army # 24172366

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 06:40:41 pm »

So I've been trying to make the bayonet fit the flash hider on my G&G and it turns out it was stupid easy.  Emphasis on stupid...

First I only measured the front crown and just ASSumed that the rear crown would be the same thus making grinding down the works not worth the effort.  So on my way out of town I ordered the surefire replica from RSOV because they said it would fit an SA80 bayonet.  

It arrived about the time I returned home and I've been messing around with it for a week trying to make it work.  Some polishing allowed it to sort of fit but even when forcing it into the bayonet socket it just didn't lock up properly.  

Actually having the calipers handy I was puzzling over the problem when I decided to fully measure the original flashhider and found that less than 2mm of grinding on the front of the birdcage hider was all that was needed to make it fit the bayonet.  The rear portion was correct STANAG measurements.  So, $30 poorer and about 20 minutes wiser the bayonet now fits the SA80.  The great thing is that the original flashhider looks streets better than the modern SF flash hider anyway.

Surefire replica

Original flash hider with ground area shown

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:44:23 pm by Mercy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: