Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: M882 and M101 work progress  (Read 22772 times)
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2012, 03:56:58 pm »

Post East Wind Dodge work has been plodding along nicely.  

The transfer case is pissed off about being shifted into and out of Lock at East Wind and had taken to clicking loudly about it.  I pulled the cover off the middle of the cab floor which resulted in me having to actually address some rust issues down there and got the lock/unlock portion of the shift linkage adjusted such that it no longer clicks.

Anyhow, as is usually the case, the project was subject to the usual mission creep and we’ve ended up dealing with a few other issues along the way.  

As I mentioned earlier, the floor has been further repaired including welding in lots of little repair panels to replace junk stuff as well as a bunch of the usual little puddy fixes here and there.   Looks pretty solid now and just as importantly, it all went back together well.  

While the seat is out we’re planning on recovering the bottom part of it.  While it’s not in bad shape, it’s not in great shape either and it’s a lot easier to make a cover if you pattern off of a not completely crap seat.  Anyhow, here’s the seat parts queued up for the job.  Hoober and I are probably going to do it ourselves, but I may end up just farming the job out since it’s not that time consuming a job and will probably not cost much.  

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:02:30 pm by aswayze » Logged
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 04:49:49 pm »

Maintenance time for #706!  

Mostly doing the usual fluids.  Oil change, filters, radiator flush, new belt, new thermostat, new radiator cap, grease the usual points then moving on to a few nagging issues the M880 has.  I'll pick the story up with pictures from here.

Yee haw, engine cleaning time!  Actually got this thing quite well cleaned out but of course the paint in there sucks.  I wish I had time enough to fiddle with this one and could just yoink this one out like we do with the M151s and get this thing super cleaned up.   Not gonna happen so I'll just tolerate the nappy paint...

This Dodge is an M882.  Originally, the M882s were equipped with both a complete 12 volt system and a complete and separate 24 volt system as well.   As such, it used to have both a giant 6TN starting battery for the truck itself as well as 2 more that were dedicated to radio use.   In spite of the fact that we do a great deal of radio stuff, we really do not care enough to put together a specific radio set up on this truck and particularly are not interested in having to pay for and maintain that many batteries.  What does that have to do with the price of tea in Shanghai you ask?   Well, the two spare batteries sat on this tray here in the engine bay:

We have always had the spare parts box here as well as the portable trouble light that I made up out of an extra cop car dome light but aside from that the tray was empty.   Inside the truck, or more specifically behind the seat we had tons of stupid crap stuffed here there and everywhere.  As you may have noticed, there are quite a few required items for trucks at East Wind and with the Dodges not being particularly tactical trucks there never really were racks for any of that stuff included.  Being somewhat sick of all that crap crap kicking around in the cab I decided it was well past time to do something about it.  

Step one:  

I have zero tolerance for stupid jacks.  The Dodges original jack was crap and got binned promptly after failing inspection.  It was replaced by an old but very solid 12 ton blackhawk jack.  The jack has always been a menace to society parked back behind the rear seat so I made up a mount for it, and bolted it solidly to the tray tucked back under the fender.  

Is next, Pioneer tools!  

The Dodge has a Max Ax set donated by Norris.  It's a wicked good pioneer tool kit that is quite compact for a full sized ax and a bag of accessories but there is no getting around the fact that it is still a fill sized axe with a big bag of accessories.   I made up a mount that goes to the front panel of the truck that has a pin that the Max Ax head clips onto.  It holds the tool VERY securely and again, gets it completely out of the cab.  

What about the tow strap?  

The dodge uses the same coiled 2 inch snatch strap we use in all the M151 series trucks.  We keep it coiled up in an old canvas document pouch.  Happens that the document pouches have sturdy metal clips on the top and a snap at the bottom so I just made a place for the clips to clip to and  added a stud for it to snap to at the back and voila!  Secure as can be.  

What about the tools?

We had a bit more room on the tray so I added a .30 cal can and then moved the spares over to it (Spares = Fan belt, ballast resistor, ignition module, cap, rotor, some bulbs, zip ties, tape etc)  The regular tools got moved to the .50 cal can with has ample space and also has the added advantage of being bolted to the truck so people can no longer just go snatch the entire tool kit out of the Dodge and walk off to work on something.  

Look at how much more room the cab has now!  Well, probably not this much extra room long term, I just have the seat out for the time being while I do some repairs to other stuff as well as renew the truck bed liner/paint on the floors.  

More to come as more gets done.   Wink

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:13:47 pm by aswayze » Logged
Mr. Ready

"As far as I know? Immediately." Gunter Schabowski

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2014, 05:35:35 am »

Watching with much interest.

"...That might matter if you were a SUPER TACTICAL DOUBLE BURRITO NINJA GUY..." -- Allan Swayze

OP:EW-VI.  {Automatic Rifleman} 12th Albion Lancers.
OP:EW-VII. {Posten Fuhrer} Grenzetruppen.
OP:EW-VIII.{Squad Leader} US Army.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2014, 07:59:56 pm »

More small steps today although I was mostly recovering from the weekend's crazyness on Furnas' trucks. 

Did some minor floor patching, one spot in particular has been missing a plug ever since I got the truck, I made a nice one out of a tuna can lid then went through and redid a few spots with the truck bed liner. 

After that, a fresh coat of paint of course. 

Dash is pulled out to remedy a few annoyances.  Dash lights are intermittent on this thing and I have long wanted to pull the amp meter out of the circuit to avoid some of the issues it can at times cause. 

Here's where our dash light problem came from, several of these little pins on the printed circuit board for the instrument cluster were loose causing an intermittent loss of power to the gauge cluster lights.   A quick solder job got them back in order. 

Also decided to clean up the gauges a bit and in the process managed to break the needle on the speedo.  Much pissed off by this but the good news is there is a speedo shop in town that thinks they can replace the needle without too much hassle.  Ready will be glad to hear this since he needs a new needle on his truck too. 

Mr. Ready

"As far as I know? Immediately." Gunter Schabowski

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 09:14:54 am »

Ahmen!!!  Grin

"...That might matter if you were a SUPER TACTICAL DOUBLE BURRITO NINJA GUY..." -- Allan Swayze

OP:EW-VI.  {Automatic Rifleman} 12th Albion Lancers.
OP:EW-VII. {Posten Fuhrer} Grenzetruppen.
OP:EW-VIII.{Squad Leader} US Army.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »

Interior reassembled. 

$26 at Metro speedometer.  We have a needle again. 

Finally broke out the NOS bottom seat cushion from Christenberry.  REALLY nice but all the more reason I need a cover for it now so it stays that way.  Vinyl just doesn't age all that well... 

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2015, 06:48:10 pm »

706's pictures for it's Craigs List posting.   

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2015, 06:55:09 pm »

Rollin on with the repair work.  706s bed was in a poor way so i thought I would at least get everything structurally good and all the various rusted bits stabilized for the new owner.  

Needle scaling out some rusted parts.

Repaired section

MIG welded up the cracked spots on the drivers rear from the old antenna mount.  

Added a much needed brace to stiffen up the bed side on the passenger side.  

Then MIG welded the areas where it had cracked from lack of support before.  

Looking MUCH better now.  

Nobody has been out to see it yet but if every other item we have sold on Craigs List is any indicator the first person to see this thing in person is going to instantly buy it.  

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:03:14 pm by aswayze » Logged
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2015, 04:18:33 pm »

Keeping on with the Dodge a bit today.  

Gauges had been hit or miss.  This new printed circuit board got things ironed right out.  I had hoped that this would also fix the dodgy instrument panel lights but I had to buy a new headlight switch to get them operational.  $20 bucks later we are back into nicely lit gauges again.   Still no fuel gauge of course, I am pretty sure if I fixed that it would cause a disruption in the space time continuum and incinerate us all.  Some things are just never meant to be!  

Kept on with the general bed repairs.  Here it's got new black and green paint rolled in.   I still need to redo the brown but just having everything scrubbed down with a new coat of paint helps immensely.  

Serviced the tailgate latch and rolled a coat across the tailgate as well.  

Touched up the high wear areas in the interior while we had a roller going.  It was pretty nice in there anyhow, just a few thin spots near the gas pedal but why not make sure eh?

Cleaned up and checked out all the running spares.  Added in the other bits and pieces we had just sitting around.  

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:27 pm »

Adding in some at event pictures:  

East Wind 5 delivering food to Canadian troops.  

East Wind 5 last day in the fires of Colleville

706 supporting a fieldcraft event at Paddy Creek.

706 running blackout lights dropping Canadian Forces troops off.

706 delivering the junk S-250 shelter

706 ready to carry off the above shelter (now refurbished)

706 just stopped off the highway for a minute...  Definitely did not run out of gas, no sir...  not us...  
 (BTW, did you know adding the shelter means you *might* need to recalculate how far you can go on a tank of gas?)

Staged and ready for East Wind 5

Loaded with gear for East Wind 7

Loaded with 3 MGPTS Medium tents after a successful auction buy

Loaded with radial tires for the big trucks  (these trucks really are 1/2 of a deuce and a half)

Moving trailers around at Broken Home

At the set up weekend for East Wind 7

Loaded with gear for East Wind 8

Prestaging equipment for East Wind 8  

And a final reminder to all of us, no trucks ever came close to the utility of the M880 series trucks at fetching firewood.  All of us who attended East Wind over the last several years owe a hearty thank you to trucks 706 and 707 for the literally thousands of pounds of good hard pin oak firewood they delivered to both NATO and the Warsaw Pact camps.   Every cold damp morning, every frozen hell of a night watch, every chilly evening when you just tossed an extra log in the stove for good measure, it most likely came to you in the bed of one of the 880s.   A lot of tired bones appreciate that.  

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:05:17 pm by aswayze » Logged
Spectre
Recruit

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2015, 09:29:25 pm »

She certainly looks good. Glad to see I'm not the only fan of the MAX Ax kit. I may have to add a similar mount for 211. I have to ask though, where does the 3 color paint come from?
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2015, 04:40:00 pm »

Paint comes from Rapco

http://rapcoparts.com/manuals.html

You are looking for 34094 383 green CARC, 30051 383 brown CARC and 911 flat black. 

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 10:19:43 am »

706 is finally off to a new home.   
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2015, 07:07:43 pm »

Saw 706 on I-70 west of Ft. Riley today around 1700, on a trailer headed westbound into the horizon...

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: