Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: M882 and M101 work progress  (Read 22773 times)
aswayze
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: August 13, 2011, 08:35:40 pm »

Making some good progress:  

Trucker, Dave, Davey, Stan, Tom, Dad and David made it out to kick some ass and take some names.  Lots more to do tomorrow but we’re off to a pretty good start as of this evening.  

Pics:

Bed flipped off of the back of the M882.  This was the easiest way to deal with some of the big dents.    We’ve got it back on for now but will be yanking it again in the morning to paint the back of the cab, the front of the bed, and the bottom of the bed.

Dave went to town on the giaganto dent behind the cab on the drivers side.  It was a really big dent and took a good bit of work to PUSH out.   Lots of prying, showing and banging later it’s all shoved back out where it’s supposed to be.  Doesn’t look perfect by any stretch but it’s straight enough and should hold up well.

Dent pushed/shoved/pried/banged out.  

Naturally, with the bed off, we gave the chassis a good looking over and cleaning.  It’s all quite nice down there.  

The fire truck paint has been **fairly** cooperative this time around.  Trucker’s pressure washer for the most part will blast the stuff off leaving just the red oxide primer for us to DA sand and paint over.  

While all of that was going on, Stan, Davey and Tom were working on Deuce troop seats.  One complete set was put together for Elmo and loaded in my truck for hauling to Dave’s place.  One set was checked out and set aside for Stagg, and another set was all set up for Norris’ truck.  

Tom set to the task of rebuilding the M882 troop seats using some of the 5 ton fiberglass troop seat boards.  These things are looking pretty damn sharp!  

Trucker modified and installed a block in his M101 kickstand to make his trailer sit level when parked to avoid the usual problem of M101 trailers collecting water in the front of the bed.  

Dad, David and Trucker worked for a bit to try get the tongue of trucker’s trailer to attach a little better.  Still more or less and unsettled issue but they figured out most of what needs to be done.

David also spent plenty of time hacking away on concertina wire and Trucker and Dad replaced the rotted wood on Truckers M101.  

After a heavy dinner of Gates BBQ Trucker and I returned to the droll and boring tasks of DA sanding the M882 and caulking the truck and trailer beds.  Once all that was done, we hit the insides of both the M882 and the M101’s beds with a brushed on layer of paint as well as the all the wood on his M101’s side racks.  

This took us till almost 10:00 p.m. when we finally called it a night.  

We’ll be up and at it again around 07:00 tomorrow hoping to get all the major stuff done that we need to do to get some paint flying on these things before the end of the weekend.    

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:33:26 am by aswayze » Logged
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:27:26 pm »

Really wish I could've made it or for this one. Next weekend you need help too right?

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:00:31 am »

Probably going to do some work next weekend but the big push is going to come the weekend after when we plan to do the 3 color paint work out at Dave's place. 

Trucker and I got on it first thing this am and have been hard at it. 

I've been DA sanding the M882 bed and Trucker's working on the racks my M101.   Hopefully someone else will show up soon so we can flip the bed off of the M882 and spray the bottom and the back of the cab and put it back on.  That's pretty much the lions share of the heavy lifting we've got yet to do this weekend. 

Once we've got that taken care of we can spray the M101 trailers since they are pretty much ready to go right now then once I get the cab prepped on the M882 we can nail it as well although I doubt I'll be far enough along on it to be ready to spray till close to this evening.   

Still have plenty of troop seat work to do but the good news is I can deal with most of that myself if it comes down to it.   
Coop

We all live in a yellow UAZ...

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:08:09 am »

Is the M882 still going to be known as Sharon post cosmetic surgery and paint job?

- Куперов

OP: EW-IV - Ef. - 1SEC RTO
OP: EW-V - Jr. Lt. - XO
OP: EW-VI - Sr. Lt. - CO
OP: EW-VII - Sr. Lt. - HQ RTO
OP: EW-VIII - Capt. - Dacha in Urals
OP: EW-VIIII - Maj. - Desk in Moscow
OP: EW-VIIIII - Lt. Col. - CO Space Forces
OP: EW-VIIIIII - Marshal of the Soviet Union
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:26:54 am »

Oh obviously.  That's why that door is the last one getting prepped. 

d.thomas

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 06:39:22 pm »

did sharon get un reded today?

Dave Thomas -tamer of the ferret - keeper of ELMO
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:10:56 pm »

Started to anyhow.  We did not have the work force today that we had Saturday so things moved at a slower pace.  That's not all bad, Trucker and I were both pretty damned worn out so a slower day was sort of welcome.  

Pics:

Trucker fixing wood on an M101 rack.   On this particular board the wood was ok but the fasteners left a little to be desired so we were switching out to the correct T-nuts to make everything flush and a little less snaggy.

After spending WAY WAY too much time DA sanding all the cracked up paint and primer on Sharon's bed I finally scrounged up David, Shannon, and the entire Hoober family to help me flip the bed off of her.    With the bed off, I painted the bottom of the bed (for rust protection,not just cause I am crazy) then cleaned off and painted the frame rails (ok, that's cause I am crazy)  then painted the front of the bed and the back of the cab so all the hard to reach spots were taken care of.  

To kill a little time, David and I took the grill apart on Sharon to figure out how we were going to deal with the excess of redness up there.  Looks like it's not actually going to be all that bad although we're probably going to end up using some paint stripper on the grill itself just to be sure.  

After that, I attacked the M101a1 trailers that Trucker had mostly finished prepping.   We had brush painted most of the wood as well as the beds the night before and this morning so I mostly needed to really get the trailer bodies and the metal associated with the racks.   As usual, the spraying part of this stuff goes lightning fast and works out quite well.  

Once the M101 trailers were done, I called Hoober and David again to see if I could steal them at exactly 8:00 pm.  That would give me time to sort out the last of the M101 stuff and get some cleanup work done and when they all showed up, we could heave-ho the bed back onto Sharon and have just enough time to get a coat of paint on the bed before I lost daylight.  Still need to do a bunch of work to the cab but the bed portion of the truck is pretty well ironed out.  

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:13:05 pm by aswayze » Logged
Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:12 pm »

I will absolutely, positively be able to make it the next two weekends to help out. This weekend things just didn't work out.

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 10:46:58 pm »

Cool deal.  I am sort of just going to plug along this week and try to get Sharon done and on the road so that she'll be ready to drive over to Dave's for the official camoing festival.

David

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 09:38:07 am »

For the painting day I'm thinking about focusing on treating my big rust spots first. Sand them then coat them with POR 15. Then primer the next day.

Multifuel: Burns going in, whistles coming out.
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »

I got a bit more work done today. 

Pulled out the pressure washer and blasted the paint off of the passenger side of the cab as well as most of the front end.  Still have a bit of the drivers side then of course the hood and the top of the cab before it's time to DA sand again and spray everything down. 

Boy, we are really starting to accumulate some red paint chips here in the driveway...

David stopped by and dropped off some air hoses and other goodies and while he was here we attacked the cut up pile of troop seats.  We figured out that heating up the nuts on the back side with the MAPP gas torch then zapping them with the 3/8ths impact gets them spun off quite quickly and easily.  Still a bit of a tedious job but it does get it done a lot faster than having to fight tooth and nail for each stuck carriage bolt and blowing out every piece of seat wood we're trying to get apart.   The entire "cut up" set is now broken down into a heap of metal bits.  I'll gather them all up tomorrow afternoon and wrap them all up as a unit in case it ends up being practical to ship the things off to someone who doesn't have troop seats and wants to buy wood locally. 

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 04:51:56 pm »

Well I finally got enough prep done to actually spray again today. 

Pics:

Yes, Sharon finally got the base 383 coat.  Looks MUCH better.

Green trucks get the girls!  Now I just need to tune the system a bit to not get 7 year olds…

Even though it was nowhere near time to install the antenna I, naturally, decided to install it anyhow.   I even figured out what the tie downs on the top if the cab are for.  I still need to find 2 more of the M882 antenna bases to get the requisite 3 antennas that an M882 should have. 

I also cranked the M101 trailer up and painted the newly added metal.  Stagg asked if I was going to undercoat it with the same roofing tar stuff the army originally used in these.  I said, no I was going to use the alkyld enamel paint we use on everything else.  Stagg then sagely pointed out that the original tar did work pretty well, except of course for the almost rusting the trailer in half thing… 

I had ONE can of 383 brown and a few cans of flat black paint around.  I figured I’d take a whack at doing the 3 color pattern on something.  Since the M101 was the closest thing to the fan (plenty warm today) I took a whack at it.  The brown applied very nicely but the other flat black paint just sucked to apply.  When you do the head to head thing with the Gillespie paint and other paint you get tired of the other shit real fast.   On top of all of that, the Gillespie covered a hell of a lot better   I got 3 sides worth of brown with one partial can of 383 brown and only one side of  black with 2 mostly full cans of Crylon.  Quite a percentage of black paint on these things, according to the manual 41%…  That’s plenty of cans of paint so I may have to wait a bit to gather up enough cans of paint to really get every single thing done exactly like it should be. 

Master Chef

Ich bin der Meisterkoch!

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:00:17 pm »

I've always been a fan of the 3 color camo. You still want me to make it down there this weekend or wait until the painting session at Dave's?

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
d.thomas

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 05:48:35 am »

Get some flat black in a gallon can. rusteoleum or something like that. set spray gun with a small round spray pattern and that should solve that problem.

Dave Thomas -tamer of the ferret - keeper of ELMO
David

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 06:08:24 am »

I think your little friend wants Sharon to be 3 color pink. Lol. Looks like a great job on the paint. I wish I was there. Had a flat tire on ther rental car yesterday that cost me 3 hours because they towed me to Casper instead of Cheyenne where I was going and where I was going to return the car anyway. Ofcourse there was no spare tire. Then there's the hassle of paying for the tire and reporting it to my company's credit card company.

Multifuel: Burns going in, whistles coming out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: