Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is East Wind's target time period?  (Read 6377 times)
tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: January 05, 2009, 03:47:57 pm »

I have been asked this same question many times now in various forms.
To keep me from having to answer this on an individual basis and to help guide those looking to get the "spot on" look, I will explain this here.

East Wind is based on a what if scenario. What if the Berlin Wall did not come down and the Soviet Union was still in existence? For East Wind the target time period is 1988-1994 basically.
The actual game scenarios will change from year to year but the basis of the event will not.

For the NATO troops this is not too big of a deal really since NATO did not change much as a direct result of the fall of the Warsaw pact and Soviet Union.

For the East Bloc guys this causes a bit of a problem. The problem is that we do not have a definitive snapshot of what the East German or Soviet uniform or equipment would have been in 1992 for instance.

The problem comes in the fact that East Germany ceased to exist and with it the East German military. The Soviet Army was in existence for a few more years until the USSR ceased to exist in 1991. But between 1989 and 1991 the Soviet army was basically frozen in time. No new developments in uniforms or equipment and much of the work in process sort of stopped.

Because of this we cannot directly see what would have been if circumstances were different. We are forced to make assumptions based on the state of things in 1989 and forecast what would have been if things had kept going in the same direction.

Some examples of this are the use of the VSR or "Dubok" pattern. This pattern was in development at the end of the USSR but was not officially issued until after the fall of the USSR. It was issued as the first official pattern of the Russian Federation Forces. Because of this it is an approved East Wind pattern.

Along with this assumption comes the allowing of gear and uniforms that were issued in 1994 or later. The thought there is that if they had not had the freezing of development and the subsequent economic problems the development may have resulted in an earlier release of some items.

An example of this would be the M94 Sapogi (jackboots). These are the newer style with the strap and buckle at the top to allow for larger calves and a better fit. While these were never issued at the same time as Afghanka and TTSKO in real life  they may have been if things had been different  so they are acceptable at East Wind.

Some will say that this is stretching things. We do not see it like that. There has to be some thought into the “what if” portion of this. We are not doing a reenactment of a documented time period but actually doing a simulation of a period that could have been.

This is a very slippery slope though. What we strive to do is keep this "pre-westernization"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:46:26 am by aswayze » Logged
Nemesis
Recruit

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:53:55 am »

If EW is a MILSIM game, and the time frame is an "What If" scenario, then the inclusion of REFORGER (Return of Forces to Germany) would have been very plausible in terms of having additional players coming in.  Secondly the US Marines would have been involved since 1975 was the first time the Marines were actually included such as the 32nd MarDiv, and the 32nd Marine Amphibious Unit (32 MAU).  So having a squad of Marines as another component to EW would be proper...
Mr. Ready

"As far as I know? Immediately." Gunter Schabowski

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:55:30 am »

No

"...That might matter if you were a SUPER TACTICAL DOUBLE BURRITO NINJA GUY..." -- Allan Swayze

OP:EW-VI.  {Automatic Rifleman} 12th Albion Lancers.
OP:EW-VII. {Posten Fuhrer} Grenzetruppen.
OP:EW-VIII.{Squad Leader} US Army.
Nemesis
Recruit

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:29 am »

I wasn't saying, you have to have Marines at EW.  What I was inferring to was the fact that in the real REFORGER in Germany during the Cold War, the Marines were finally added, along with the actual Army Division taked with being sent to Germany.  Units like the 7th Light Infantry Division, 2nd Armored from Ft. Riley, 4th Infantry Division, etc were at one time tasked with being on Reforger.

So, let me state once again, Yes the Marines were part of Reforger; but for EW I don't think that's part of the plan.....
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:23:32 am »

We have enough units already.  If anything, we'll be reducing options in the future, not adding them. 

Lift Kit
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 04:01:58 am »

Who would be gotten rid of?  The Russians, I would assume?
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 04:23:57 am »

Not really after anyone just pointing out that adding troops is a big deal cost wise. 

There is a lot of specific gear related to each nationality that stuff costs money, takes time, takes effort and that we're already extended far enough as it is. 

If we have a year with zero attendees for one unit, you can certainly bet that unit will not be on the list next year or if we have a unit that consistently proves to not really fit the mold unit culture wise then they may well find themselves on the chopping block as well.
Doorman

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:14:56 am »

I love the new guys who are asking questions and trying to learn more about East Wind and even attend.   But I will say, I fall in the category that if you haven't attended a East Wind event or at least a training event you dont need to be making suggestions on how to make it better.

Sorry to be blunt but there it is, other wise feel free to ask any questions that can help you get to the event.

Berufssoldat des wahren Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik im Ostwind
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:16:04 am »

Super duper exactly! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: