Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: British Clansman PRC-349 radios - buy them now!  (Read 1219 times)
d.thomas
Knows what he's talking about...

« on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:33 am »

due to the crappy uk selrs and the great inconvince that goes wth ordering a large lot of radios, i will not be ordeing any clansman radios. Small orders for persoanl rados are much better off going to ebay to buy them and ay the sellers outrageou shipping fees to get the stuff here.

sorry
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:50:33 pm by d.thomas » Logged

Dave Thomas -tamer of the ferret - keeper of ELMO
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:36:45 am »

Hmm....  I am not sure that the math is working out great on the 349s this way.  It looks as though individual purchase off of Ebay may be cheaper if we are not saving much on the shipping by bulk shipping them. 

Is there anything else that's lighter perhaps that we can stuff in with the bigger radios to offset some of the shipping costs such as compasses or PLCE field gear? 

Stagg
East Wind II East Bloc Planning Staff

Plays East Wind every day!

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:47:17 am »

Just for the heck of it I've been interested in grabbing one of these... they are just cool little radios.  They give me something to bounce off of my RT-524.

I've been in a black hole to the world for a while though, what is the "good" price for these.  A quick look around says 145 may not be the same type of deal that we are used to buying.  That said, I don't have a lot of time to fiddle around with, so I may not care.

While we are ordering junk, I would be wanting ALL the extra bits too.  Handsets/headsets are both useful to me, and a BNC adapter is darn near a requirement.  Especially after I dumped money into all the little radio tester gadgets. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:49:48 am by Stagg » Logged

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some cool ideas!
aswayze
Admin

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:42:16 am »

Welcome to the wonderful world of trying to do ANYTHING related to radios… 

What you want is always cheap and right “over there”.   Unfortunately, trying to get it from “over there” to here is where the rub is. 

It is never actually hard to do.  Not any different than shipping blocks of cheese or wooden Virgin Mary statuettes but for some reason, the person who has the radios always has to make life difficult.   

It seems pretty simple.  I buy it, you put it in the fucking box and mail it to me but for some reason it always gets stupid when you start to get it finalized. 

I want to buy a PRC-77 from a seller in Israel, the radio is $125 and the shipping is $100.   He has several so how about I buy 2 and ship them together?   Ok, he cuts me a deal and sells me 2 for $225 but then the shipping is $250.   Ok, so why is it more expensive to ship 2 together than 2 separately?  No reason…    Got to the Israeli post office web site and look up the shipping myself and it should be about $130  for the pair…    Blah blah blah…. 

From another seller in Cyprus, he has cheap vehicle antennas at $80 each with $40 shipping.  I want 4 but the shipping for 4 is 2X as much as for 4 individually ordered. 

WTF? 

Other sellers in the US either won’t ship at all or don’t understand that you don’t have to go to Mailboxes Etc and pay all the silly packing fees to ship something. 

So I end up having to plan to drive 22 hours just to pick up a radio that would ship to me for $14.95 in a god damn flat rate box…. 

aswayze
Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:46:01 am »

On the 6TNs…

Why would anyone expect 6TN batteries to not suck.   They are stupid batteries, of course they suck.  It’s a constant struggle with mine just to start the truck, for as much as those things weigh, they don’t have very much electricity in them.   Basically giant, heavy, cumbersome, expensive, lawnmower batteries. 

tascabe
WARPAC Admin
Admin

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:24:51 pm »

Well it will not help for EW IV - but I will be going to War & Peace in 2011 - will see about scooping up some clansman radios to bring back with all the Soviet stuff I get:)
Furnas
You might want to listen up...

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 05:45:59 pm »

You could probably get a lot of clansman radios inside a BMP1 or 2 or BRDM. I'd say bring back a T-72! Looks like a neat event during July in the U.K. I had never heard of it until your post. Might be a ton of Brit gear there too since phasing out DPMs for multicam!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: