USGI Mess Kit
- Mess kits for US troops must be the standard USGI clamshell mess kit.
- Mess kits must be marked with the owners name to avoid the sort of confusion that results from everyone having exactly the same kit. You can mark your kit any way you like, as long as it holds up to dishwashing.
- Avoid cheap replica mess kits made of aluminum they tend to not take much abuse and are much harder to keep clean than the USGI stainless steel ones.
- Avoid vintage mess kits made of tin, they are not safe to eat out of.
- We strongly suggest using the issue silverware with your mess kit since it all attaches together to allow easy dipping of the whole kit into the sanitizing bath after you wash it then again allows the whole kit to be easily hung up to dry.
Back to Required Equipment
East Wind Home